Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 05:18 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing things will get worse, given the current move to siphon off public school funds for private vouchers.

According to the Arizona Progress Meter, 41% of third-graders are reading at grade level. The state’s goal is 72%.
https://kjzz.org/content/1848897/ari...level#expanded

Overall, 41% of students taking the state's new assessment test passed the English component, and 33% passed the math portion, according to the Arizona Department of Education.
https://www.azcentral.com/restricted...F8002024001%2F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 02:16 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
I would like to see the passing rate for home schooling and other non-public schools.. That would be equally relevant.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:50 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times
Great idea.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:02 AM

1,002 posts, read 517,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would like to see the passing rate for home schooling and other non-public schools.. That would be equally relevant.
Excellent idea.

Also. the funding rates relevant for private/charter schools, if only to demonstrate the level of funding compared to success in educating children. I know in the Wash DC area there are public schools with some of the highest funding per student rates in the nation, and yet have some of the most dismal functional knowledge and passing rates in the nation.

A friend of mine is a legislator in Louisiana, and successfully passed legislation recently that children must pass 3rd grade level assessments in order to move on to the 4th grade.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:39 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
It's almost like "Teaching to the Standardized Test" doesn't work as well as actually Teaching. Hmmmm

Old 06-24-2023, 10:29 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,823,933 times
Arizona ranks 48th in the nation for per-student public school funding. Proof that you get what you pay for.

AZ teachers don't even make enough to live on, and yet they have to buy their own school supplies. My kid came home from the first day in school there with a list of supplies that the teacher needed in hopes that various parents would supply one of the items on the list. My wife bought everything on the list and dropped it off for the teacher. The teacher cried upon receiving it. Massive classroom sizes too. But hey, blame it on the teachers.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:40 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Arizona ranks 48th in the nation for per-student public school funding. Proof that you get what you pay for.

AZ teachers don't even make enough to live on, and yet they have to buy their own school supplies. My kid came home from the first day in school there with a list of supplies that the teacher needed in hopes that various parents would supply one of the items on the list. My wife bought everything on the list and dropped it off for the teacher. The teacher cried upon receiving it. Massive classroom sizes too. But hey, blame it on the teachers.
I don't blame anything on the teachers....well...there are a couple that my kids have had that are horrible...I put most of the blame on the administrations. Teachers wanting more money and complaining to the state...talk to your school administration. Money not going to student enrichment and instead spending millions on pet projects...talk to the administration. Principals and Administrators being paid low to mid six figures...talk to the administration.

I have not found any correlation between per-student funding and the quality of education...there are many districts nationwide that spend more per student that have varying results. The contributing factor is parental involvement and student aptitude. If you don't value education, neither will your kids. Not all kids learn the same or have the same learning capacity...it is almost like they are all individuals with different talents.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:45 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Maybe the same problem as in 1900 to 1920. Too many don't speak English at home.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:05 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I'm guessing things will get worse, given the current move to siphon off public school funds for private vouchers.

That would be a poor guess....giving people's tax dollars back and letting them choose which school they send their children to will most likely have positive consequences. Private and Charter schools usually do much better than public schools...

Old 07-03-2023, 06:43 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

According to the Arizona Progress Meter, 41% of third-graders are reading at grade level. The state’s goal is 72%.
https://kjzz.org/content/1848897/ari...level#expanded

Overall, 41% of students taking the state's new assessment test passed the English component, and 33% passed the math portion, according to the Arizona Department of Education.
https://www.azcentral.com/restricted...F8002024001%2F
Public schools will get worse but people now have a choice. Home schooled and private school students have higher test scores than public school students. More opportunity for school choice should improve test scores. Public schools have had their chance. Your stats above show they have failed horribly.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-03-2023 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona