Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 10:33 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

There are only six cabins that have a rim view. As I understand it (AIUI) these are the best views for any cabin or lodge or hotel room where you can see the Grand Canyon from your room. I’m not considering camping.

I’d like to hear from people who have successfully reserved and stayed at the Grand Canyon North Rim, in a Rim View Cabin. That means your cabin number was one of these six numbers, from 301 to 306, AIUI.

How did you do it?

I tried it yesterday, on my phone on 01 September, at 7am mountain time when they said the online reservations would start. I kept trying and trying and the site kept saying that no rooms were available at all — for over 30 minutes. Finally at 7:35 I found available rooms but none of the rim view cabins were available. They’d been sold already.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 04:21 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I don't know, but if you do score one, head immediately to Vegas, you don't want to let that streak of luck expire!

Have you been there before? The other cabins are in pretty nice surroundings too. But all are "rustic." You are at worst a short walk to the rim. By short I mean 100-200 ft.

The dining room is incredible! Be sure to try the pricky pear cactus cole slaw.

Keep in mind you are at 9,000 ft. Good idea to spend a night in Page or St George first if you don't live at elevation.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:42 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP those particular rim rooms need to be reserved 1-2 years in advance.

Old 09-03-2022, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP those particular rim rooms need to be reserved 1-2 years in advance.
They are not available 2 years in advance. They are, for one year in advance. That’s what I’m trying to do — reserve for the fall of 2023.

ETA — that’s what I was trying to do yesterday, reserve for September 2023. Now, I’m looking to reserve for October 2023, and that will open up on 03 October 2022.

I want to know how it’s done.

Old 09-03-2022, 02:32 AM

So yes I want to know how it’s done. I’ve found at least two places:

www.grandCanyonForever.com
877-386-4383

and

https://betabookings10.rmscloud.com/...Index/12961/90
877-386-4383

I tried both on 9/01 and no joy.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:15 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
So yes I want to know how it’s done.
Luck of the draw, luck of the timing, just plain 'ol luck. Ya' know 6 rooms 1,000's of inquiries. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:31 AM

92 posts, read 111,885 times
Just in case you haven't been there before.....

The dining room that jamies mentioned above is indeed incredible. However, in order to actually eat there, you must make reservations many weeks in advance. This restaurant can only handle a very small portion of the people who stay at the cabins. If you don't eat there, then the only other option you have (other than bringing your own food) is a very small fast-food counter where you can buy pizza/sandwiches/salads/ice cream. During the daytime, this lunch counter gets *extremely* busy as it has to serve not only the people who are staying overnight, but also the day visitors as well.

I don't know about the larger and most likely nicer cabins, but the smaller cabin we stayed in had no refrigerator or microwave. Makes it more difficult to bring and prepare your own food. Bring a cooler if you don't get into a larger cabin. You can get ice at the small convenience store located a few miles from the cabins/visitor center.

Old 09-03-2022, 04:27 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
That is weird. I had a co-worker that wanted to go up this year and had no problem booking a cabin in July for the week after the 4th. I know you are talking about the 4 Western cabins with a rim view...it looks like there is a Western with a partial view available most of July but the availability calendar cuts off at August 4th. I know the lodge closes October 15th...maybe try calling them?

The Frontier cabins don't have refrigerators or anything but I believe the Pioneer and Westerns at least have mini-fridges in them.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:39 PM

I did try calling them. I spoke to a lady on the night of 8/31 and she said you have to book online or call the toll-free number.

Thanks for the heads up about booking the restaurant far in advance. Will do that. But I’ll also bring foodstuffs in a cooler and we’ll be making some meals. Easy stuff like sandwiches.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
Just in case you haven't been there before.....

The dining room that jamies mentioned above is indeed incredible. However, in order to actually eat there, you must make reservations many weeks in advance. This restaurant can only handle a very small portion of the people who stay at the cabins. If you don't eat there, then the only other option you have (other than bringing your own food) is a very small fast-food counter where you can buy pizza/sandwiches/salads/ice cream. During the daytime, this lunch counter gets *extremely* busy as it has to serve not only the people who are staying overnight, but also the day visitors as well.

I don't know about the larger and most likely nicer cabins, but the smaller cabin we stayed in had no refrigerator or microwave. Makes it more difficult to bring and prepare your own food. Bring a cooler if you don't get into a larger cabin. You can get ice at the small convenience store located a few miles from the cabins/visitor center.
Interesting. I guess we lucked out both times we were there. We arrived at the tail end of lunch and got window seats both times and half the room was empty. But, the last time was in '18 or '19 before covid. And late in the season, mid Sept ish iirc. I know a lot more folks are "loving" our parks now.

If I was to go again I'd take a motor home. We were rushed to get to Page by dark for a place to sleep. That was a whole other adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona