Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times

Advertisements

Thanks finger laker - the best route to go I think is, like you said, negotiate in advance. Hopefully it'll still be a buyer's market next summer and I can work something out on the home purchase end. I'll be crossing my fingers not to fall in love with a house before my lease is up or else I'll be paying rent and a mortgage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,612 times
""""Hopefully it'll still be a buyer's market next summer""""

It still should be so you should have no prb finding a homw you love! This is the BEST website ever for homes : ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents

Good lucK!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
In New York, if you bought a house and needed to terminate your rental lease early because of the home purchase, you would be able to without penalty. Does AZ have a similar law?
No. A lease is a contract. One cannot unilaterally terminate a contract without the expectation of damages.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Purchasing a home, I believe, is a legitimate reason to break a lease.
Sorry to disappoint you but, it is not a legitimate reason to terminate a lease in the State of Arizona

Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Thanks finger laker - the best route to go I think is, like you said, negotiate in advance. Hopefully it'll still be a buyer's market next summer and I can work something out on the home purchase end. I'll be crossing my fingers not to fall in love with a house before my lease is up or else I'll be paying rent and a mortgage!
If you have a good landlord that shouldn't be a problem. We were faced with that 8 years ago when we sold our home in Gilbert. Our next house wasn't going to be ready for six to eight months. We found a great property management co. that had the perfect rental for us (wish we could have bought it instead of our current home!). She wrote in on the standard agreement that we could go month to month after the initial six month lease. Worked out great for us.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Our leasing co has been pretty good to us. Our situation is that the landlord doesn't want to go with the leasing co anymore now that our lease is up. She wants to deal directly with us. We've been perfect tenants perhaps? Anyway, I did email her and told her of our situation. Hopefully she doesn't take it the wrong way as, I believe, some folks here have. Maybe I asked it "the wrong way" so with her, I approached it more in terms of "Hey, what are the fees/penalties and this is the only reason why it would happen but you'll get plenty of advance warning." I appreciate everybody's advice.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
That site does not cover the Prescott area, so it certainly cannot be the BEST website. Try sticking to Realtor.com or Homes.com.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
All I was asking is if there are laws protecting citizens from having to pay outrageous fees. My rental contract protects my landlord from just about everything and does little for us. The contract doesn't say anything about what happens if circumstance arises that you need to break a lease so I thought I'd come here and ask. That was my my mistake. I will ask the landlord directly what the 'consequences' are. I didn't think I'd be judged and branded as irresponsible. It would be much more effective to advise that one can work with the builder/lenders on when to start payment and such, if that's even an option. I've never owned a home so i wouldn't know. It's not effective to admonish someone because of his/her question. A simple yes/no would suffice.
You definitely have to protect yourself in the lease. That's why it's negotiable on both sides. You can have virtually anything written in it IF the landlord agrees to it.

The penalty should only be that you pay for whatever months you are supposed to. We did that when we bought a house about 2 months early. We had to pay both mortgage and the house we were leasing. That was our choice that we made when we looked for a house a little too early.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
You definitely have to protect yourself in the lease. That's why it's negotiable on both sides. You can have virtually anything written in it IF the landlord agrees to it.

The penalty should only be that you pay for whatever months you are supposed to. We did that when we bought a house about 2 months early. We had to pay both mortgage and the house we were leasing. That was our choice that we made when we looked for a house a little too early.
I already spoke to the landlord and she's adding to the lease that I can terminate the lease a month early given' 45 day advance notice. She was totally cool about it and both sides believe the terms to be fair. She's also keeping the rent amount the same if we go month-to-month.

another option she gave us was we would be "acting agents" if we terminate early. I don't know how that would work but I'll have to look into it. Sounds like we'd help her find a renter or something.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,010 times
Congratulations, it looks like you worked out an agreement that both parties feel is fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona