U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:23 PM

6 posts, read 44,917 times

Advertisements

I just relocated to AZ from MN and am having a tough time finding employment and housing because of bad credit. What's with the background check and credit check for employment here? I've never had to do that...I have tons of exp. in my field, and have aced interviews, even been offered jobs "pending background check"...and due to divorce, my credit is shot...and therefore...do not get the job. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you have any recommendations? Same with housing...I lucked out with a sublet, but don't have much time here, and with bad credit, doubt I'll be able to find a place...especially without a job! HELP! Any thoughts? (I do NOT have a criminal background...no arrests/felonies, etc.) It's VERY frustrating...especially when you loose a REAL GOOD JOB because of your credit. Thanks much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 58,086 times
Default Hello

Have you tried going through employment agencies, they can at least usually get your foot in the door....

Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 AM

14 posts, read 72,140 times
I think it depends on the job you are applying for.. I know most customer service positions don't check your credit.. Never heard of that being a issue but I guess it depends on the job you are applying for- Good Luck !

Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 AM

31,304 posts, read 30,338,426 times
I would think that some employers may not want to have problems in the payroll department with creditors calling are putting a claim to any earnings. Also the courts can add possible problems by attempting to take earning for child support, alimony, etc. This can be a problem for some companies to keep these creditors at bay.

It’s very difficult to get a clean “restart” in life!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:48 PM

50 posts, read 283,423 times
I don't live in AZ, but I know that it's common practice here in CA to do background checks on prospective employees...in fact, it's out of the ordinary to NOT do them. Also drug screening. As for renting, owners here in CA almost always perform background/credit checks. I don't have Triple A credit, but I have passed pre-employment background checks and rental checks....I work in health care and I've worked in banking, and both definately require background checks.

I'm not quite sure if what you are experiencing is the "norm" or a fluke...

Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 PM

16 posts, read 101,700 times
One way to get around that find a head hunter or temp agency and get your foot in the door and fix your credit in time things will get easier. good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMovedHere View Post
I just relocated to AZ from MN and am having a tough time finding employment and housing because of bad credit. What's with the background check and credit check for employment here? I've never had to do that...I have tons of exp. in my field, and have aced interviews, even been offered jobs "pending background check"...and due to divorce, my credit is shot...and therefore...do not get the job. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you have any recommendations? Same with housing...I lucked out with a sublet, but don't have much time here, and with bad credit, doubt I'll be able to find a place...especially without a job! HELP! Any thoughts? (I do NOT have a criminal background...no arrests/felonies, etc.) It's VERY frustrating...especially when you loose a REAL GOOD JOB because of your credit. Thanks much!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 76,863 times
They probably do more extensive background checks because of the sheer number of people moving from out of state. Credit checks provide an idea of how responsible a person is with money. A person that is responsible with their own money will be responsible with a company's property and less likely to steal. It's hard to tell who will be a good, honest employee, and a credit check is one more way to filter out potentially "bad" workers.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 33,577 times
At a point in the past, that might have been accurate. But, that theory doesn't hold water nowadays. The economy has changed so much, for the worse, in the last several years that NOW most people's bad credit is not due to financial irresponsibility. The # 1 reason for bankruptcy in the USA is medical bills. Anybody holding fast to the notion that good credit = good character is completely out of touch with the current economic realities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoWarm View Post
They probably do more extensive background checks because of the sheer number of people moving from out of state. Credit checks provide an idea of how responsible a person is with money. A person that is responsible with their own money will be responsible with a company's property and less likely to steal. It's hard to tell who will be a good, honest employee, and a credit check is one more way to filter out potentially "bad" workers.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 76,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalind g View Post
At a point in the past, that might have been accurate. But, that theory doesn't hold water nowadays. The economy has changed so much, for the worse, in the last several years that NOW most people's bad credit is not due to financial irresponsibility. The # 1 reason for bankruptcy in the USA is medical bills. Anybody holding fast to the notion that good credit = good character is completely out of touch with the current economic realities.
Declaring bankruptcy due to high medical bills is not the same as having 25 accounts in collection due to spending more money then you have, not paying loans, not making car payments, etc.. Good credit does not always equal good character, but it is part of what companies look at when performing a background check. In law enforcement, the background investigation goes over a person's financial past. Why? Because a person who has had problems with money MAY be a risk for bribery. This is not something that they made up because they feel like making it difficult.

Medical bills are one of many reasons a person has bad credit. Let's not make it look like everyone is responsible, but a few people are getting screwed because of medical bills. I'd love to see where you get the information saying that MOST bad credit is due to medical bills.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 69,445 times
Default Wow I had no Idea!

My husband and I are moving to AZ (Glendale area) in a few months, we are relocating from Germany with the military; I am German and have all the appropriate paperwork (green card etc.) to live and work in the United States. My credit is just about non existent; I understand no credit is worse than bad credit. We did live in NJ for 3 ½ yrs (01-05) and I worked the whole time but I doubt that I’ve established much credit in those few yrs.
Now I’m wondering if I will have difficulty finding a job, what kinds of jobs are available? What is the minimum wage in AZ? I don’t speak Spanish and I was told that Spanish would be a big plus to get a good position, I don’t mind learning but it I doubt that I’d ever be fluent, since English is already my second language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona