Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 PM

13 posts, read 45,515 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Kingman within the next month and I wondered how Cerbat Elementary would be rated by the locals who send their children there.

The Kansas City school district is ridiculous and brimming with "teachers" who seem to think it is their job to keep parents in the dark and allow abuse to run rampant in their hallowed halls.

I visited Kingman a few weeks ago and I really loved the smaller town and of course the beautiful Hualapai Mountain Park. I'm really looking forward to getting out of the big city. I lived in Wickenburg for 6 years when I was a kid and I've missed the desert. I am aware that there have been some issues with a meth problem and that there was a significant bust in town recently, but overall, it seemed like a nice town with maybe a few "less desireable" areas. (what town doesn't have that?)

Kdog, if you read this, perhaps you can provide a level-headed and honest answer or opinion. Your posts always seem to strike a balance between "Kingman sucks" and "Kingman is nice" without giving in to the hyperbole from either perspective.

Of course anyone else is also welcome to comment, but please give reasons for your opinion. I'd like to know if Cerbat would be someplace I'd feel comfortable sending my daughter (that would be the "appropriate" school if we get the property we are currently looking at).

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Hey adonijah, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Not too sure about Cerbat elementary. That was the school that Pippi333 claimed her kid got beat up at in this thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/1982192-post132.html . However, that was quite a while ago. Also, Pippi had a litany of problems with Kingman in general, and just seemed prone to bad luck. I will say my impression of that general area is that much of it is an older and "tougher" part of town. However, there are also pockets of new construction there, so there's probably some affluence moving in which will help.

Great Schools gives Cerbat a 3 out of 10. (link: Cerbat Elementary School - Kingman, Arizona - AZ - School overview ). They give Hualapai a 4, and Manzanita a 6. I know when we moved here 2 years ago, Hualapai was supposed to be the best, so maybe things have changed. Regardless, we are very pleased with Hualapai.

I think a lot of the problem with AZ schools is that small desert towns don't typically have the best students, so the schools have to dumb down to the average kids. I think the teachers in general are fine, at least the ones we've met are. I also think you get out of a school what you put into it. Stay involved, and I think your kid can get a good education anywhere. We worked with Hualapai to make sure out kids got teachers that were the appropriate for their learning styles. And of course we read with our kids every day and monitor their homework.

Sorry, I've rambled a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Remember also that Kingman ain't that small anymore: between the 'City of Kingman' and the Mohave County areas (Butler comes to mind) with Kingman addresses-----we are now discussing well over 50K people.

Hell: Kingman even has a Mosque to cater to the Dr's etc. of Pakistani, etc. heritage

Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM

13 posts, read 45,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember also that Kingman ain't that small anymore: between the 'City of Kingman' and the Mohave County areas (Butler comes to mind) with Kingman addresses-----we are now discussing well over 50K people.
Well, compared to Kansas City (or Phoenix), it's Mayberry.

Quote:
Hell: Kingman even has a Mosque to cater to the Dr's etc. of Pakistani, etc. heritage
Well, America could certainly do without another one of those things. (just ask France or London England how it's going now that they're overrun with them)

My main concern is the general economic health of the town, schools and crime rate. Rather than looking at straight statistics, I like to get the opinions of those who have lived in a town for a while (like 5 years or more). Their perspective gives me a better idea of whether they think it's going in the right or the wrong direction. For instance I was told to avoid living in the "Butler" area or in "Birdland" (where apparently all the streets are named after birds).

Can anyone tell me what the laws are in Kingman on conceal/carry? In Missouri, I had to go through training classes and undergo a background check (all reasonable steps in my opinion). How would any of you compare Kingman's sheriff with Maricopa's Joe Arpaio (a great sheriff as far as I can tell).

Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Crime doesn't seem to be a factor in town. Yes there is crime, but it seems like everyone gets caught. Or perhaps the newspaper only reports the solved crimes. I dunno. However, crime is certainly not running rampant here.

Birdland has a bad reputation. I don't know much about Butler, but I believe it's in the Cerbat school district area, or at least close to it.

Conceal carry is the same all over AZ. You take a one-day course, background check, and get fingerprinted, and you get your CCW. Even without a CCW, you can still buy guns and carry open. AZ is very gun friendly. Dunno anything about the Sheriff here.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,475,542 times
Can not comment on Cerbat but I will say there is no other sherriff like Joe, he is a one of a kind. need more of him and things could possibly get better.
Yes it is common to see people walking and shopping carring side arms no problems doing that.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Can not comment on Cerbat but I will say there is no other sherriff like Joe, he is a one of a kind. need more of him and things could possibly get better.
Yes it is common to see people walking and shopping carring side arms no problems doing that.
I used to know now Sheriff Tom Sheehan when he was a watch commander for the MCSO back in 1989. I used to work in the Mohave County Motor Pool. Tom is definitely a 'by the book' type of guy (referring to especially other deputies under his command-----he made 'em toe the line)-----and, honest about it

And; I met Sheriff Joe at a book signing event back in ca. 1993 here in the Phx area------hell, I still have an autographed copy of 'America's Toughest Sheriff'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona