U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering in purchasing a vacation home in Hawaii. If we do, we would ship one of our vehicles to Hawaii and store it there at our vacation home, because we would be spending up to 4 or 5 months at a time in Hawaii and renting an auto would be very expensive and not do-able for us. I'm assuming the vehicle in Hawaii would have to be registered with Hawaiian License plates, but what about auto insurance? What are the rules to insure the vehicle in Hawaii without having a Hawaiian D/L?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

824 posts, read 2,159,259 times
Just register your cars in the state where you live the majority of the 365 days of the calendar year. It looks like someone reported you as not having changed your registration (there is an 800-number). If you are in AZ less than half of the calendar year and are therefore not a full-time resident, inform them in writing of this fact. Just be consistent. If you are not a full-time resident, do not seek or accept any full-time resident benefit (tuition benefit, lower-cost hunting/fishing license, real-estate tax senior exemption, etc).

I know that as of a few years ago, "level one" calls to the Arizona DMV were answered by prison inmates. I am not sure if that program is still in place.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 66,909 times
Hi. I"m in a similar position to some of the posters. After being a long time arizona resident, i'm now spending about half each year in pennyslvania. My liscence and registration are in Arizona. One problem is that I"m thinking of trying to officially for state tax puposes be a "partial year resident" of Arizona since this would save me a ton of money (about 1000 dollars this year) - but if I become a partial year resident first half of year in arizona and second half in pennsylvania, does that change how i'm supposed to register my car? does this mean its a move out of arizona and into penn (if i do that with taxes) requiring that i change my liscence and registration and car insurance to Penn? I"d rather not do that. (also have a related question conernign part year residency and taxes which i'll post in a differnt thread). thanks for input.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,890 times
Vicki, here is what i did. I am a snowbird. I was MI resident, bought a vac prop. in FL. Eventually I changed my residency to FL. I kept my vehicle registered in MI w/ MI insurance. I go back to MI May-Oct also fly home for holidays to visit grandkids. I keep that car in MI- My other car I purchased in FL. have Fl D/Lic. and FL ins. on that car and drive it back to MI in May. As long as the other vehicle resides in MI. there is no problem. I was pulled over for speeding in MI with the MI vehicle, MI ins MI reg and FL d/lic. Cop let me off with a warning and never said anything about my lic. from FL. I don't think the ins co. in MI would like it because they can't track my driving record but this works for me the past7yrs. Incidently, both ins. co.s are AAA MI and AAA South. I asked the agent and they don't have access to each others info. If I sell the MI vehicle to buy another, I may have problems then w/ sales tax diff.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 PM

653 posts, read 739,202 times
You can have a car in Arizona and register it there....but you may want to check out the insurance first.

We have a house in the Phoenix area and a house in Illinois...my wife just came from court today in Arizona...her Illinois tags had expired and she was issued a ticket...looking at the cost of registering it in Arizona we realized the insurance is very high....almost double what we pay in Illinois....so we updated the tags in Illinois...she went to court and the judge accepted it and told her that as long as we had a residence in Illinois we will be legal...so as long as we have a home in Illinois we are going to keep all our vehicles licensed there.

On a second note the small town officer that pulled her over was a total jerk....started telling her how many tickets he could write her for things like improper lane usage and other rediculous infractions.....when he found out that she had an on board dash cam he shut up and only ticked her for not having good tags.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 PM

287 posts, read 679,527 times
It's pretty simple, wherever your "primary" residence is, that's where you register your car and have a driver's license from and vote in.

Florida was the only state where it was legal to have 2 different current State drivers licenses from, but not for awhile now.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,561 times
I bought a truck in TN & I have an AZ license & AZ address. I want to register it (and everything) in AZ (in Bullhead City). There's no emissions test. I am a newbie to the nomadic lifestyle. I do use my truck as I don't have an RV yet. According to AZ MVD I can do this by mail. What do I do when I'm in another state & can't get back to AZ at the time? I don't want to get everything in another state because I do "move" around. I know snow birds are in AZ every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: