Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 PM

11 posts, read 39,522 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I did a search for grand canyon and didn't really find much info. We are coming down to vegas at the end of the month and would like to plan a day trip to the canyon. We've never been so we have some questions.

1. Which rim should we go to? We are going to make it a day trip. We know this isn't much time to go. But its the best we can do with the time we have.

2. How long of a drive should we expect? We have a rental car and plan on taking it.

3. Are there dining and gas options up near the canyon?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
You need to do more than a day trip!! That's a shame to go out to such an awesome place and not spend a full day there seeing all it has to offer.
The south rim is very crowded year-round. Traffic is a mess, and there are so many people there you may not really truly enjoy your visit...it's definitely a tourist mecca there. But, the sights are uncomparable from the south rim, and there are a lot of places you can go to learn the history of the conyon.
The north rim is a lot quieter, and the views are just as nice from what I hear. I never have been to the north rim, so maybe someone can chime in here.
I know though, you need to find a spot nearby to stay overnight. You can't possibly truly enjoy all the canyon has to offer in less than a day- that's a waste of gas!! At least head out there early, stay all day, spend the night, then explore more the next morning or afternoon before you head back to Vegas. The canyon is truly an incredible experience in beauty and very awe-inspiring. You may not be back anytime soon, and I guarantee you'll always be kicking yourself for not staying longer...

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
Oh...to answer the other questions:
From Vegas to the canyon is about 4-5 hours away.
South rim is plentiful with gas and food options. Along the highway in Coconino county there are some places too. No problems there.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,020 times
I have not went there for a day trip so I dont know where best to go would be, but I would agree that more then a day is needed at some point. 2 years ago me and 4 friends spent 4 night sback packing in the GC in the remotest of areas were the least amount of people would likely be and it was amazing.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM

96 posts, read 532,739 times
Grand Canyon National Park - Interpretive Ranger Programs (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,118 times
I would vote for the North Rim, blast north out of vegas up and over. Stay the night at Jacob lake if no accomidations in the park.
Just no comparison between the south rim.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 PM

11 posts, read 39,522 times
Thanks for all the info. Unfortunatly we will only be able to go the one day due to other commitments in vegas. I've always wanted to go and I figured a few hours would be better than not getting to go at all.

We plan on getting up very early and heading out. I'd like to be on the road by 5. So if we get there by 10 and stay till like 5 or six, would that be enough time to have and enjoyable visit?

Also we are renting a car. I'm leaning toward the north rim. Are all the roads in good condition? Will a regular car make it?

ScoutAZ, a special thanks for the link. I'd really like to go to the ranger programs. They sound very interesting.

Last edited by got2getoutofseattle; 08-06-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: adding question

Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Go to the south rim. The north is higher and arguably "prettier", but the south will still knock your socks off and it has more historical buildings, NPS facilities, rangers and interpretive signs and information. There are more things to do, places to shop and "stuff" to see, helicopter flights etc. You can even take a quick hike down in the canyon to get a different perspective. Always, tourists, do south first and if you ever get another shot at it, visit the north rim for a cooler, more pastoral experience.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,918,453 times
5 hours to the North Rim from LV
4.5 hours to the South Rim from LV

I've never been to the North Rim. You should probably go to the South Rim for your first trip. The South Rim will have the most to do for the whole family. The North Rim would be better suited if you want to be "away from it all" to experience the grandure of the Grand Canyon. The road to the North Rim is closed from November through May due to snow.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 AM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Have you considered flying from Vegas to the south rim? It might give you more time to see the sights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona