Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times

Advertisements

I already posted this in the Utah forum... thought I'd try AZ as well...

I'm hoping someone can help me. We're coming up to Kanab this weekend to get out of Tucson for a bit. We'll be doing the obligatory Grand Canyon trip (my husband's never been there), but what I'm really wanting to do is visit Lake Powell.

I'd like to have a way to go on the lake, and not just drive up click a picture and leave. I'm trying to find somewhere that rents canoes or kayaks around there, but I'm finding mostly tours.

Is it better to go on a tour than just exploring by yourself? I've found some motorized boats and jet skis, but I don't feel like shelling out $200 for a day when I'm perfectly happy to paddle around.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:11 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,288 times
Keep in mind the sheer HUGENESS (is that a word? LOL) of Lake Powell. In a canoe or kayak, you will only manage to explore the main bay area right outside Wahweap in one day....certainly not a disappointment, but not even close to a hair of what the entire lake has to offer. There are some trips up the lake to Rainbow Bridge...I'd strongly suggest that trip. I'd also suggest one of these:
Lake Powell Cruises - Boat Tours and Activities
as opposed to you trying to strike out on your own. You'll see a lot more and probably enjoy the scenery more when you stick with a tour that knows all the cool slot canyons and vistas. It may be a little more than you are budgeting, but I am sure other people can vouch that without a motorized boat, you are severely restricting your mobility and ability to reach some of the more awesome sites at the lake.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
Thanks Rich. I'm definitely debating that. I'm also worried about being in a teeny tiny kayak negotiating through tons of jet skis and houseboats.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,288 times
Yep...that's what you'd be dealing with if you dumped your kayak in at Wahweap. Now, you may have better luck if you dropped in at Hite or Antelope Point, but I would say that one of those guided tours is your better bet. You can search for others; that's just the first one I came across. I am sure they are plentiful. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: