Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,159 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are in the process of selling our home in TX and want to move to AZ but have no idea where. I wish there was a search engine like there is for homes (bedrooms, square footage, acres ect...) for finding a city to live in! We need to be moved by next school year (2013-2014).

Criteria: I have a lot of health issues and need to be in a dryer climate. This is what we are looking for....

small town w/ country atmosphere
5,000 -7,000 ft elevation
under 2,000 population
conservative
Mountain views
Tall Trees and lots of Green
nearby lake for (trout) fishing a plus
no extreme cold weather...my body can't take too much cold
medical facility within an hours drive
low crime rate
near a national forest for hunting would be ideal

We visited Springerville, AZ and stayed a month last year in August and absolutely loved it but I'm afraid it would be too cold for me during the winter...but that may help with what we are looking for. We plan on buying property and building. We have farm animals also....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Well, let's start with the fact that there is no "perfect city" anywhere. .

What do you mean by "medical facility"? Hospital? Urgent care clinic? Doctor's office? I'm a bit stumped as to any city in AZ with less than 2000 people that's an hour from a hospital or any significant medical facility and is at that elevation, with "lots of green and tall trees and mountain views", but "no extreme cold". You want 5-7000 feet elevation, but Springerville is too cold. Anything at 6-7000 feet in AZ is going to have cold weather sometimes.

Perhaps someone else has some ideas...

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
Nope....stumped here.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM

284 posts, read 700,847 times
Maybe Pine or Strawberry? Payson is bigger than your requirements, but is a possibility in other ways.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, let's start with the fact that there is no "perfect city" anywhere. .

What do you mean by "medical facility"? Hospital? Urgent care clinic? Doctor's office? I'm a bit stumped as to any city in AZ with less than 2000 people that's an hour from a hospital or any significant medical facility and is at that elevation, with "lots of green and tall trees and mountain views", but "no extreme cold". You want 5-7000 feet elevation, but Springerville is too cold. Anything at 6-7000 feet in AZ is going to have cold weather sometimes.

Perhaps someone else has some ideas...
In addition to what Observer said here, because of the medical issues you will not find what you asked for in Arizona. Small towns mean no, or small, hospitals. and over 4,000 feet means cold nights sometimes yearround. Tall trees and lots of green, although rare can be had, but only in the colder zones. Your only choice would be Flagstaff, and it isn't small or warm.

In fact I have lived all over this great nation and your requirements can't be met anywhere.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
I'm gonna say Prescott tho it ain't 2000 people, more like 40000. Maybe a town near there?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I can give you one to check out in New Mexico (dry). Santa Rosa.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
In addition to what Observer said here, because of the medical issues you will not find what you asked for in Arizona. Small towns mean no, or small, hospitals. and over 4,000 feet means cold nights sometimes yearround. Tall trees and lots of green, although rare can be had, but only in the colder zones. Your only choice would be Flagstaff, and it isn't small or warm.

In fact I have lived all over this great nation and your requirements can't be met anywhere.
I agree, you are not going to find a small mountain town above 5,000 ft. elevation with tall trees and warm weather anywhere that I can think of in Arizona or the US in general.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplylivingblessed View Post
Hi. We are in the process of selling our home in TX and want to move to AZ but have no idea where. I wish there was a search engine like there is for homes (bedrooms, square footage, acres ect...) for finding a city to live in! We need to be moved by next school year (2013-2014).

Criteria: I have a lot of health issues and need to be in a dryer climate. This is what we are looking for....

small town w/ country atmosphere (Show Low)
5,000 -7,000 ft elevation (Show Low)
under 2,000 population (Springerville)
conservative
Mountain views (Tucson)
Tall Trees and lots of Green (Anywhere above the rim)
nearby lake for (trout) fishing a plus (anywhere above the rim in east AZ)
no extreme cold weather...my body can't take too much cold (You can't live in Arizona then.)
medical facility within an hours drive (Anywhere near a town that has more then 2,000 in population)
low crime rate (Anywhere above the rim)
near a national forest for hunting would be ideal (Anywhere above the rim)

We visited Springerville, AZ and stayed a month last year in August and absolutely loved it but I'm afraid it would be too cold for me during the winter...but that may help with what we are looking for. We plan on buying property and building. We have farm animals also....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. D
Wanting 7,000 ft and not cold is a very ironic statement.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM

157 posts, read 568,570 times
What about Snowflake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona