Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
They spray at night via either plane or helicopter. We happen to live right above the fields off Araby road toward Hwy 95.

I remember reading somewhere - don't ask me where, I can't remember - and they do a lot of the tilling/spraying/fertilizing at night to help the air quality. I guess they figure the air is heavier & less wind, so it doesn't blow as badly.

I grew up on a farm in Nebraska where we had crops, pasture & cows. Some of the stuff they use here in AZ/CA............. I have no idea if it's legal or not. I've never heard of some of this stuff. And I doubt it could be used in Nebraska.

I don't have a problem with asthma, but do have some allergies here. I've never had a problem before, but here I get a plugged nose more often than I did in the Midwest. Maybe it's because it never freezes hard enough or long enough to kill off the pollens & spores. I've heard that's part of "Valley Fever", but haven't researched it enough to know much about it.

I still love it here.
oh no really valley fever? i thought that was only in tucson i am going to have to look into that cause i know my husband has the sinus problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 PM

19 posts, read 101,013 times
From what I've read - reader beware, I haven't researched this much - Valley Fever is a combination of symptoms that cause flu like problems. Some think it's related to allergies, some evidence points toward pollens/molds/bacteria common to desert regions.

If you Google it, lots of symptoms come up. Like I said, I haven't done much research on it.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:11 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Valley Fever Facts (http://www.dhpe.org/infect/valley.html - broken link)
  • Valley fever is an emerging and sometimes deadly fungus infection.
  • The valley fever fungus lives in soil and is spread through the air.
  • Farmers, construction workers, and others who engage in activities that disturb the soil are at highest risk for valley fever. People with weak immune systems and persons of certain racial groups can become seriously ill from the infection.
  • Valley fever is treatable with fungus-killing medicines.
  • Persons at risk for valley fever should avoid exposure to dust and dry soil in areas where valley fever is common.
What is valley fever?
Valley fever is another name for the sometimes deadly infection coccidioidomycosis. It is called valley fever because the organism that causes it is commonly found in the soil of the southwestern United States, Mexico, and parts of Central and South America.
Valley fever usually affects the lungs. When it affects other parts of the body, it is called disseminated valley fever.

What is the infectious agent that causes valley fever?
Valley fever is caused by Coccidioides immitis, a fungus. The fungus produces spores that can be inhaled when they get into the air. Spores are hardy forms of the fungus that can live for a long time in harsh environmental conditions such as heat, cold, and drought.

Where is valley fever found?
The valley fever fungus grows naturally in soil in the southwestern United States and in parts of Central and South America.

How do people get valley fever?
Valley fever is spread through the air. If soil containing the valley fever fungus is disturbed by construction, natural disasters, or wind, the fungus spores get into the air. People can breathe in the spores and get valley fever. The disease is not spread from person to person.

What are the signs and symptoms of valley fever?
About 60% of infected persons have no symptoms. The rest develop flu-like symptoms that can last for a month and tiredness that can sometimes last for longer than a few weeks. A small percentage of infected persons (<1%) can develop disease that spreads outside the lungs to the brain, bone, and skin (disseminated disease). Without proper treatment, valley fever can lead to severe pneumonia, meningitis, and even death.

How is valley fever diagnosed?
Valley fever is diagnosed with a blood test or culture.

Who is at risk for valley fever?

Anyone can get valley fever, but people who engage in activities that disturb the soil are at increased risk. They include:
  • Farmers
  • Construction workers
  • Military personnel
  • Archaeologists
People with weakened immune systems are at increased risk for disseminated disease. HIV infection, as well as medical advances like chemotherapy and organ transplants, cripple the immune system and weaken resistance to fungus infections. Others at increased risk for disseminated disease are: elderly persons, African-Americans, Asians, and women in the third trimester of pregnancy.

What is the treatment for valley fever?
Valley fever can usually be treated with fungus-killing medicines.

How common is valley fever?
An estimated 50,000 to 100,000 persons develop symptoms of valley fever each year in the United States, with 35,000 new infections per year in California alone. In Arizona, the incidence of reported cases was 15 per 100,000 in 1995.

Is valley fever an emerging infectious disease?
Yes. Valley fever is on the rise because of the growing number of people who are moving to areas where the disease is common (such as Arizona) and increases in the number of persons with weakened immune systems.
Recent natural disasters have also triggered a rise in valley fever cases. The central valley of Southern California had a 4-year epidemic of valley fever in the early 1990s after a severe drought. Cases of valley fever also increased in persons exposed to billowing dust released by the January 1994 earthquake in Northridge, California.

How can valley fever be prevented?
There is no vaccine against valley fever. Persons at risk for valley fever should avoid exposure to dust and dry soil in areas where valley fever is common.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Default Considering Yuma for awhile too....

Wow, I sure want to thank all of you for the info in this thread, although it's as negative as I feared.
I'm wanting to buy a travel trailer to live in, near Las Cruces, NM. I'm currently in Oregon for a few months, and plan to leave as soon as I find the right deal.
I found a good one in Yuma, located in a 55+ park (I'm younger, but can fake it) . The Park is in the Foothills, and the space rent is already paid till next November (@ $175/mo, we'd all agree is dirt cheap!).
Alternatively, I could buy the trailer and shed separately, if I decide to have it moved.
I hate the sound of those jets! Are they bad up the Foothills area?
I'm single, and not really settled anywhere at this point, so it would be nice to have a home, already in a park, to head south for. I have always been a self-described 'river rat' (our family used to take our boat & camper from Orange County), as an adult Ive lived in Palm Springs, San Diego, Tucson, and New Mexico. I've been a fulltime RVr for a few years after Tucson, and my old motorhome is stored in NM for travel.
Silly me, I moved my storage stuff to Bullhead City before deciding on Las Cruces.
bla, bla bla.
I guess I'm asking what you think for a temporary destination, like till June, so I can get my stuff out of storage by then and move it to NM.

BTW,
Roaches, yes, way common in the desert.
Never had much contact with scorpions, seems they LOVE any newly disturbed areas, like new housing neighborhoods.
Black Widows? part of life in So Cal, not scary...
My biggest fear? ...well, they're called "Date Palm", "Palmetto", or "Palo Verde" beetles. They're huge 'darth vadar' looking creatures with hard black shells, and big pincher-looking-horns, and THEY FLY!!! I've been locked out many times waiting till they get off my screen door! OOOOoooooh yuk!
I wonder if that 'Sun Scorpion' mentioned was similar.
Valley Fever is certainly not exclusive to Tucson, although that's the place my old BF from San Diego first got the flu like symptoms it produces (he was a roofer). I've never had problems anywhere.
And, for years I dealt with snowbirds in Palm Springs working in hotels and country clubs. I like what was suggested about waving to them--how it irritates them.

Are there any cool little neighborhood bars to haunt? Not just the dives with 'true losers'.
What about drug problems there? I ran into so much of that in Tucson, and parts of NM.
Thanks!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Wow, I sure want to thank all of you for the info in this thread, although it's as negative as I feared.
I'm wanting to buy a travel trailer to live in, near Las Cruces, NM. I'm currently in Oregon for a few months, and plan to leave as soon as I find the right deal.
I found a good one in Yuma, located in a 55+ park (I'm younger, but can fake it) . The Park is in the Foothills, and the space rent is already paid till next November (@ $175/mo, we'd all agree is dirt cheap!).
Alternatively, I could buy the trailer and shed separately, if I decide to have it moved.
I hate the sound of those jets! Are they bad up the Foothills area?
I'm single, and not really settled anywhere at this point, so it would be nice to have a home, already in a park, to head south for. I have always been a self-described 'river rat' (our family used to take our boat & camper from Orange County), as an adult Ive lived in Palm Springs, San Diego, Tucson, and New Mexico. I've been a fulltime RVr for a few years after Tucson, and my old motorhome is stored in NM for travel.
Silly me, I moved my storage stuff to Bullhead City before deciding on Las Cruces.
bla, bla bla.
I guess I'm asking what you think for a temporary destination, like till June, so I can get my stuff out of storage by then and move it to NM.

BTW,
Roaches, yes, way common in the desert.
Never had much contact with scorpions, seems they LOVE any newly disturbed areas, like new housing neighborhoods.
Black Widows? part of life in So Cal, not scary...
My biggest fear? ...well, they're called "Date Palm", "Palmetto", or "Palo Verde" beetles. They're huge 'darth vadar' looking creatures with hard black shells, and big pincher-looking-horns, and THEY FLY!!! I've been locked out many times waiting till they get off my screen door! OOOOoooooh yuk!
I wonder if that 'Sun Scorpion' mentioned was similar.
Valley Fever is certainly not exclusive to Tucson, although that's the place my old BF from San Diego first got the flu like symptoms it produces (he was a roofer). I've never had problems anywhere.
And, for years I dealt with snowbirds in Palm Springs working in hotels and country clubs. I like what was suggested about waving to them--how it irritates them.

Are there any cool little neighborhood bars to haunt? Not just the dives with 'true losers'.
What about drug problems there? I ran into so much of that in Tucson, and parts of NM.
Thanks!
Anomoly,

I think you'd so fine in Yuma. The jets in my opinion are really only loud when you are at Walmart, the one right by the base, and of course on base. We lived in the foothills and they were never really loud there. You could hear them here and there but not crazy loud or anyhting like that.
As far as bugs, we only saw one cockraoch the entire time, no scorpions and several black widows although left alone they will not hurt you. And these black widows were found in our garage not in our home.
The popular bar when when lived there a few years ago was Crazy Earls, it's located in the foothills. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Anomoly,

I think you'd so fine in Yuma. The jets in my opinion are really only loud when you are at Walmart, the one right by the base, and of course on base. We lived in the foothills and they were never really loud there. You could hear them here and there but not crazy loud or anyhting like that.
As far as bugs, we only saw one cockraoch the entire time, no scorpions and several black widows although left alone they will not hurt you. And these black widows were found in our garage not in our home.
The popular bar when when lived there a few years ago was Crazy Earls, it's located in the foothills. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, and the tip on "Crazy Earls"!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 PM

thank you everyone for the info on valley fever, i am going to have my husband tested.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,434 times
Default Yuma isn't that bad

I have to admit moving to Yuma was totally not the first on my list of where I would like to live. I am one of those people who likes to find the positives in life. Overall Yuma isn't that bad!! We moved here a little less than six months ago, smack dab in the middle of July. We were warned of the heat, but moving from the horrible humidity it really wasn't that bad!! Our neighbors looked at us like we were crazy; outside at high noon!! We were not prepared for our first power bill.. OVER 300!! I called the electric company and was given tips on how to lower the bill and I have. I knew the schools were bad because I did my homework. Unfortunately I was mislead about the school we are zoned for having a gifted program; which it does not. But, I called the school board and was able to find a great school (great for Arizona). I believe whether or not you are happy somewhere has a lot to do with your attitude. Embrace that it is a new place, that you are very close to lots of fun places and make the most of it!! I would suggest living off base, having a dual income should make it easier for your family. We live in the Foothills and love it. We have an 1800 sq foot house, less than five years old, with GRASS for 1050 a month!! We found it on militarybyowner.com, it's a great site!! We rarely hear the jets, we feel really safe. Now, if I could change the schools and the price of electricity Yuma would be great!!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alannajw View Post
I have to admit moving to Yuma was totally not the first on my list of where I would like to live. I am one of those people who likes to find the positives in life. Overall Yuma isn't that bad!! We moved here a little less than six months ago, smack dab in the middle of July. We were warned of the heat, but moving from the horrible humidity it really wasn't that bad!! Our neighbors looked at us like we were crazy; outside at high noon!! We were not prepared for our first power bill.. OVER 300!! I called the electric company and was given tips on how to lower the bill and I have. I knew the schools were bad because I did my homework. Unfortunately I was mislead about the school we are zoned for having a gifted program; which it does not. But, I called the school board and was able to find a great school (great for Arizona). I believe whether or not you are happy somewhere has a lot to do with your attitude. Embrace that it is a new place, that you are very close to lots of fun places and make the most of it!! I would suggest living off base, having a dual income should make it easier for your family. We live in the Foothills and love it. We have an 1800 sq foot house, less than five years old, with GRASS for 1050 a month!! We found it on militarybyowner.com, it's a great site!! We rarely hear the jets, we feel really safe. Now, if I could change the schools and the price of electricity Yuma would be great!!
I put a deposit in the mail yesterday for the trailer I'm purchasing in Yuma! I'll be there by next week, ready to live in my new place. This post was good news for me, even though I don't have to worry about schools, etc. In fact, sounds like I'm going to be one of those 'dreaded snowbirds', but with the space rent paid till November, in an RV park that has a pool/sauna, and lots of activities for all the 'blue hairs' I'm envisioning, I don't see how I can go wrong (just gotta fake the 55+ thing). I'll take off in my old motorhome (in storage in NM) when it starts getting hot, and leave my new 'home' in place with the rent paid, and return from summer travelling when it cools off. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I put a deposit in the mail yesterday for the trailer I'm purchasing in Yuma! I'll be there by next week, ready to live in my new place. This post was good news for me, even though I don't have to worry about schools, etc. In fact, sounds like I'm going to be one of those 'dreaded snowbirds', but with the space rent paid till November, in an RV park that has a pool/sauna, and lots of activities for all the 'blue hairs' I'm envisioning, I don't see how I can go wrong (just gotta fake the 55+ thing). I'll take off in my old motorhome (in storage in NM) when it starts getting hot, and leave my new 'home' in place with the rent paid, and return from summer travelling when it cools off. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks again.
all the blue hairs as you say will all be leaving in april and then the town kinda dies so there wont be anything for you to do for about 7 months, but sit inside your trailer and put foil on your windows or black curtains to keep out the horrible heat, and turn on the ac. but since you decided to move here welcome, if you like coffee shops like cappuccinos and stuff i suggest barnes and noble coffee shop they are very good, and the coffee bean on 4th has excellent coffee shakes and cheese muffins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona