U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 PM

7,049 posts, read 10,298,453 times

Advertisements

Lawmakers propose ban on Ariz. highway speed cameras

Mega kudos to Sam Crump, who has sponsored the bill! He seems to be one of the few politicians who has some common sense, and is willing to listen to what the many opponents of photo radar are saying. The way I see it, outgoing Governor Napolitano overstepped her bounds by authorizing this ridiculous speed camera program ... so now it's up to the members of the Legislature to undo it. If it passes in the Legislature, it would be in the best interest of incoming Governor Jan Brewer to sign it into law.

Thoughts???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,539,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Lawmakers propose ban on Ariz. highway speed cameras

Mega kudos to Sam Crump, who has sponsored the bill! He seems to be one of the few politicians who has some common sense, and is willing to listen to what the many opponents of photo radar are saying. The way I see it, outgoing Governor Napolitano overstepped her bounds by authorizing this ridiculous speed camera program ... so now it's up to the members of the Legislature to undo it. If it passes in the Legislature, it would be in the best interest of incoming Governor Jan Brewer to sign it into law.

Thoughts???
Photo radar in my opinion is one of the biggest shakedown programs ever taken by the government to drive up their revenue. It's a little like the police arresting you because someone was murdered on the sidewalk outside your home....since you're the registered homeowner, you're guilty unless you can find and prove somebody else did it. So, basically they are forcing you to do the policeman's work for him/her.

They always talk about it being all about public safety...very lofty talk, but if you look at the revenue gain you'll see it's really about money. I've seen studies where they show that "T-bone accidents at photo radar intersections are reduced....but rear end collisions increase by more than the reductions in t-bone accidents. One can argue which type of accident results in more injuries.....but until you've been rear ended by someone going 30 or 40 miles an hour behind you (ostensibly to beat the red light)....don't be so sure that whiplash is no big deal.

It's just more big government shredding your ability to face your accuser so they can shake you down for more money....and if you're innocent it's up to you to prove it. Kinda seems unamerican to have to prove your innocent doesn't it ? How did we get to this point when the burden of proof is on you ?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:47 PM

3,110 posts, read 4,961,461 times
Mixed feelings. Want those morons going 110 mph on the freeways at 3 am to get busted. Also want to be able to speed up to change lanes without getting laser tagged. Having slightly varying speeds on the freeway allows for easy on and off, and easy lane changes. When everyone is going the exact same limit because of a camera, it screws up the flow.

I don't mind red light cameras if they would fix them for the legal left turns after a stop. The red lights are all screwy in AZ. Why they don't automatically have left turn lights AFTER the straight ahead lights everywhere is a mystery to me.

But when I moved here, 7th Street and Bell was the HIGHEST accident intersection in the US. That photo radar needs to live there permanently. It has really helped. One flash and everyone within four blocks slows down and obeys the lights. For awhile anyway.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Mixed feelings. Want those morons going 110 mph on the freeways at 3 am to get busted.
So do I ... which is why I favor more DPS officers on patrol instead of those intimidating robots spewing out tickets for driving a few miles over the speed limit. Cops can pull over and ARREST the excessive speed demons, whereas cameras can't. Most officers will only pull over and cite the fastest of the fast. These speed cameras make criminals out of everyone who drives a little fast (and the majority of people DO exceed the speed limit to some degree).

Quote:
Also want to be able to speed up to change lanes without getting laser tagged. Having slightly varying speeds on the freeway allows for easy on and off, and easy lane changes. When everyone is going the exact same limit because of a camera, it screws up the flow.
Absolutely! That's why there is a law that basically states the left lane is reserved for faster traffic (or those who use it for passing), and the right lanes are for slower traffic. When everybody is driving slow in all lanes of traffic, that is a violation of Arizona law. The sad thing is the law about slow drivers staying to the right is seldom enforced. The trend these days seems wanting to nab those bad ol' speeders who have to be somewhere.

Quote:
I don't mind red light cameras if they would fix them for the legal left turns after a stop. The red lights are all screwy in AZ. Why they don't automatically have left turn lights AFTER the straight ahead lights everywhere is a mystery to me.
I also tend to favor the red light cameras because running red lights IS excessively dangerous, and a cause for many serious accidents. Speed is not the cause of accidents. In fact, the slowpokes who dawdle and/or multi task while driving are more likely to cause accidents than the faster, attentive ones. I know this because I've had a few near misses ... all of which were the result of inattentive SLOW drivers!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 AM

229 posts, read 608,295 times
Default How long has Az. had the cameras,

For me living in Mo. in certain cities are just getting these and they think it is of their opting for them. Not to say that the cameras were in place in other cities for longer than here in Mo. I think at red lights its a must to have for like what was quoted rear enders are worse than fast driving. To some here in Mo. they think that it was Mo. who got it started in the first place.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,794,362 times
I just drove the I-10 from Goodyear into town this morning and these freaking cameras are every two miles. Others have posted that for everyone to go the same speed it messes up traffic flow. I agree. I used to drive without any anxiety. I could handle whatever I needed and go with the flow. Now, I have to gauge where the cameras are in relation to my location, deal with everyone going the same speed making it nearly impossible to change lanes in a hurry, and try to get to the exit before it's too late. How is this an improvement? I hate it with every fiber of my being! It has reduced the quality of life here in my opinion. I don't want to drive in MY town and get filmed everywhere I go just so I can "be safe". BS.

I drive SR51 most of the time. Going 65mph its whole distance was not a problem as everyone else did the same. No anxiety. But now, every roadway is a white knuckle drive because I don't want to pay $180 to some camera Nazi, I have to watch out for people speeding up between cameras and slamming the brakes when they pass them by. This is NOT safety. I felt safe before the cameras. Now I'm thinking of moving away.

Where can I or anyone else go to support removing this surveillance from our lives? I'd gladly give $180 to the cause.

Edit: and don't go thinking I'm some raging commuter. I walk to work. My biggest beef is that people pay $2000 a year on car insurance yet somehow can't figure out what their turn signals are for! Duh! Wouldn't you like to pay less in insurance knowing that all the drivers knew how to drive? I say make driver's licenses cost about $800 and then let's see how good everyone starts driving and watch insurance rates drop. In other words, use a turn signal and save money!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I drive SR51 most of the time. Going 65mph its whole distance was not a problem as everyone else did the same. No anxiety. But now, every roadway is a white knuckle drive because I don't want to pay $180 to some camera Nazi, I have to watch out for people speeding up between cameras and slamming the brakes when they pass them by. This is NOT safety. I felt safe before the cameras. Now I'm thinking of moving away.
Agreed completely! The sections of the 51 freeway where these cameras are established have even more erratic drivers than before. Prior to installtion of the cameras, the 51 was relatively easy driving (during non rush hour times) ... but now, people drive slow in the left lanes to avoid the flash. Or even worse, they slam on their brakes and drive UNDER the limit when they spot the cameras. It's not about safety by any stretch of the imagination. If the state was truly concerned about safety, they would put more DPS officers on patrol. This is all about collecting revenue to pay down a massive state budget deficit!

Quote:
Where can I or anyone else go to support removing this surveillance from our lives? I'd gladly give $180 to the cause.
You can write to incoming Governor Jan Brewer, your state Representative ... or join Camera Fraud.
CameraFRAUD.com - The Cameras are Coming Down

Old 01-19-2009, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 72,807 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I believe having left turns FIRST is considered safer for the driver turning left... No bozos going 55+ from the opposite direction trying to beat the light.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM

284 posts, read 585,042 times
Quote:
My biggest beef is that people pay $2000 a year on car insurance ...
2000 a year on car insurance?? wholy krap. I pay about 800 for 2 cars here in Florida.

Is 2k a year the average on a basic car?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,946,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
2000 a year on car insurance?? wholy krap. I pay about 800 for 2 cars here in Florida.

Is 2k a year the average on a basic car?

Believe it. I moved here and my car insurance doubled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona