Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,065 times

Advertisements

DH and I are thinking about moving to AZ. I hate the heat though, anyplace that isn't too screeching hot in AZ to live?? Where would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
AZ has lots of places and the climate is mostly determined by the altitude. You have Yuma at about sea level and Humphrey's Peak near Flagstaff at over 12000 feet. All these places are going to have a wide variation between the winter lows and the summer highs, it's not moderated by an ocean like coastal California.

Here's a map that shows average winter and summer temps and precipitation. Since AZ is dry the daily temperature range is also wide, so an average can be misleading. More telling would be an average low and average high, not the average of the two.

Arizona Climate | Picture of Arizona Climate Map | World Book Encyclopedia (http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?content_spotlight/climates/north_american_climate_arizona - broken link)

I also don't like extreme heat but for some reason the summers in Phoenix are bearable. Maybe all it takes to make the difference is a pool and a shady place to sit.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 8,065 times
thanks for that info, very helpful

Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM

415 posts, read 1,681,547 times
As a former New Yorker, I can tell you that I also don't miss the snow. I'm partial to Tucson. It does stay cooler than Phoenix in the summer A good 10 degrees. Tucson is in a "bowl" of mountains and while I wouldn't call the weather mild, it is very tolerable.

Plus, it is only a half hour drive up to Mount Lemmon if you need your snow fix once a year or so. There is bunches of snow up there during the winter and you can even go skiing. The mountains look beautiful during the winter as they often are snow capped. You can see them from your house while you are sitting on your patio with ice tea! Right now it is 75, I'll take that in January!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Too: 100F here ain't back east '100F' by any means factoring in our much lower humidity.

I am a Wash DC native and Phx summers are no more unpleasant despite running about 15F hotter here on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona