Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,344,672 times

Advertisements

Very loosley pondering the thought of possibly returning to Arizona. When I moved away, I was actually very sick of the heat, and other things, and had only been in the desert for a little under a year. After moving south, to the Atlanta, Ga. area, I really miss the west coast mountains and laid back lifestyle. I am from the Chicago area originally, and the big move was made to Arizona to escape the cold, although I fully now appreciate the big "citiness" of Chicago and the FOOD!

I was seriously considering a move to California, actually Temecula because of the lower housing costs, and to be somewhat close to L.A. But as of late, after reading about the horrors of gang life, L.A. and California in general, I am rethinking it. I have a middle schooler. I have lived briefly in L.A. and know that's not my style. Just needed to be somewhat close to L.A. for business reasons. One of the reasons my family and I moved to Arizona in the first place was because of cheap houses and the close proximity to L.A.

The lower housing costs of Arizona are again beginning to look appealing versus a much greater amount for a home even in lower cost Temecula. Even living in Temecula, I would have a drive on the several times a month I would need to get to L.A. It is important for me to have a manageable lifestyle with little to no debt, and a laid back environment.

Just wondering if any non-Arizona natives have left and then come back, and what your feelings were before and after you left. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 AM

Location: Currently Phoenix, formerly lived in Nevada, Colorado, Alaska
14 posts, read 93,039 times
Born in AZ and Left in 1991 moved back in 2000 and leaving again this year.

Housing has gotten expensive compared to 7 years ago.

A house I was looking at buy in 2000 was $135,000, now the same house is going for $275,000 or higher! It is crazy! Cheaper than California yada yada yada. It is much harder afford a house in a good area. I purchased my little condo for $60k 7 years ago in an slightly older but nice clean area. Now these condos are selling for $140k and the neighborhood has gone to hell. I was looking at a new house near Deer Valley Airport. Not too big about 2000sq/ft. and not too fancy but well over $300k,

Crime has gotten much worse. There are check cashing centers popping up on just about every street corner, which attracts Illegal Mexicans, which in turn attracts, higher crime. Yada yada yada.

Don't get me wrong I love Arizona, It is my home,but I hate what has happened here. My wife carries a gun with her everyday and my kids are afraid to play at the park. I remember when I was a kid here. I would play at the park all day, ride my bike until dark and not worry too much.

Things are changing.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,890 times
Wow...these are the first impressions I'm getting...especially since I plan to move to Avondale in June this year- coming from a safe US territory in the Pacific. Is there anything else I need to know about crime here in AZ?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,652 times
I have family who moved away for a few years then came back. They've said that it's changed a lot - bigger, more spread out, more people, etc. They're happy to not have to deal with snow anymore and they love that everything is new and pretty here in the suburbs. AZ is definitely laid back and cost of living is much lower then CA, but it really depends on you as to whether or not moving back is the right decision.

Also, for the record, I don't know anyone who carries a gun and we all feel safe playing at playgrounds. There are no check cashing centers in the 'burbs where we live and we all feel completely safe.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,344,672 times
Thanks for the responses so far. I never felt unsafe while living in Arizona, not really atleast. Being from Chicago, you ALWAYS had a certain awareness of who was around you and just a general heads up on the environment. Purses were worn strapped across your coat in the front. I laugh because here in Ga, if I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times and still can't get used to it, women leaving their purses in the grocery cart in stores, AND walking away!!! Even my 13 y/o thinks it's shocking. I guess it all depends on your perceptions.

One thing about Arizona that I loved was the general ease in meeting people. My husband and I had made more friends in 6 months than I don't know what, transplants like ourselves mostly. Everywhere we went, nothing but smiles. In the grocery stores, the banks, wherever. Clerks asking how my day was going, and really appearing to be concerned.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:05 PM

565 posts, read 779,183 times
I don't know anybody who carries a gun, either, and I live in one of the least expensive parts of the Valley.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,679,284 times
Moved away...twice...and came back! I live in Chandler and have never felt unsafe day or night. While there may be parts of the valley where there is more crime, for the most part those areas are in the minority. Of course, it all depends on who you speak with and their perspective.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,543 times
Until this afternoon, this thread had been dormant for over five years.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 PM

593 posts, read 1,407,629 times
I didn't check the date and was reading about the home prices going up and I was like "Moderator cut: language are y'all talking about?!?!" It's interesting to see a little slice of 2007 middle of the boom craziness...

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM

285 posts, read 899,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Until this afternoon, this thread had been dormant for over five years.
Makes one wonder if the OP ever made it to Temecula (there's a song in there somewhere! ).
For the record, I left and came back after a few years. Missed the mountains and the dry heat. The Gulf coast is fun but high humidity gets old after a while and the desert smells great after a good rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona