Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:48 AM

38 posts, read 80,041 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody..
since i live in Europe im not familiar with regulations etc in the US..
so i need a little help..

first of all im looking after a little bit of land to put first a camper, later on a small cottage/house..
it doesnt need to be that close to a village. but im a little bit worry for the altitude..
nothern part of AZ have lots of mountains, how much does these affect the temparature?
any part of the state that you recomend?
i will be there around december to march and i would be happy if the temparature was around 20 celsius or so..is that possible or will it be colder?
cooler during the night is ok..

what about special/strange legislations, crime or similar..
is there any part/county of AZ that i should avoid?

thanks you for your help..
Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
Here's a link to an AZ Climate map. It shows an average temperature so you might want to search the internet for something that has the high and low temperatures. AZ has a wide difference in the high and low because of the dry climate.

Arizona Climate | Picture of Arizona Climate Map | World Book Encyclopedia (http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?content_spotlight/climates/north_american_climate_arizona - broken link)

Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM

i see on the site that the average weather around north AZ like Flagstaff is quite cold in the winter..
but is it really so??
im aware that during the night its colder.. but on a average sunny winter day
how warm can it be?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Yes, Flagstaff is cold in the winter. The average high temperature in Flagstaff during the month of January is 42.2 F (5.6 C) The average low temperature is 15.2 F (-9.3 C).

National Weather Service - NWS Flagstaff

Online Conversion - Temperature Conversion

Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM

yes i noticed that..
i would like to live near LA and not so long to Vegas..
but the northern part seems to cold..
what is funny is that looking at eastern part of California like Barstow seems hotter then north AZ
funny..

Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
SwedenBob -

Temps in AZ are driven by altitude rather than how far north/south you are. Northern AZ is colder mainly because the elevation is MUCH higher than in the south because it sits upon the Colorado Plateau (7,000 ft high - which the Grand Canyon cuts through).

SW AZ is VERY warm because along the banks of the Colorado River there, it's barely above sea level (Yuma is at a mere 200 ft). As you head east from there, there is a general elevation gain all across the southern section of the state - hence the cooler temps the further east you go.

Ken

Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Thank you for the info..
but besides the temperature, is there any county or parts of AZ that are better?
like lower criminal, lower price on propertys etc..
im interested in buying a bit of land..and it doestt need to be near a village, im rather to be in the outback relaxing for myself..

Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
It's going to be a challenge for you, I think.

Northern Arizona is downright COLD in the winter, the summers are nice, though.
Southern Arizona might put you farther from Vegas than you'd like.

If you're looking for temperatures in the 20's (c), the You'll only find it in the southern, desert portions of the state. Phoenix's average high temperature in January is right around there.

But, I'm sure Phoenix isn't a good place to buy land.

As for counties - I think the only one's you'd really want to avoid are Navajo, Apache, and MAYBE Yuma.

Navajo and Apache counties are so sparsely populated, it would make living difficult if you're not part of the tribes. And Yuma.. I just don't like Yuma.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 PM

maybe a very silly question
but is there a difference betwen Navajo, Apache county´s and the indian reservate?
are the Apache and Navajo county part of the US or do they belong to the tribe´s?
when i was last time in Phoenix/Glendale i heard that there could be strange laws and maybe also higher criminalty in the reservate..

Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedenBob View Post
i would like to live near LA and not so long to Vegas..
You might find what you are looking for near the Colorado River. It's altitude is low so you get hot summers and mild winters. Use google maps to see where population and agricultural centers are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona