Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 31,674 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just received a ticket in the mail from DPS for speeding.

The ticket states the violation occurred on 03/01/09 @ 10:26 a.m., at Interstate 17 Mile post 195 (at 12th Street.)

My ticket states I was going 67 at a 55mph zone.

My testimony is that I was not going 67, but 65, which would make me not guilty, but cannot prove this.

My friends tell me to fight it in court, since I have nothing to lose.

I know I won't have any points added to my driving record, nor will I have to worry about my insurance rates going up, because according to the DPS website, it states they do not report speeding tickets to ADOT (unless it is a ticket for speeding at a school or crminial speeding DUI.)

My point is I know I was not doing 67 mph. I never got a speeding ticket in my 22 years of driving, and have been using the freeways for just as long. Otherwise, if I was guilty, I would pay the ticket right now.

Would like to hear anyone out there who got a speeding ticket from DPS, and what was the outcome. Were you successful in getting the ticket thrown out of court, or would I be wasting my time trying to fight a Photo Radar Computer in court?

Thanks for your input!!

Have a great day!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
My understanding is that if you fight in court and lose, it will be on your record. It is the court that reports your conviction, not the ticketing authority. DPS does not report payment of a fine to the court and therefore there is no record entry. The no record deal was reached to encourage people NOT to take it to court.

Anyhow, do you seriously think you are going to win with the argument that you were only going 65? You won't. I say your choices are pay or hide from service for 60 days.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Also how do you know your speedometer is accurate? Have you gone to a speedometer shop and had your speedometer certified to accuracy. If not then you were probably doing what the radar said.
If you go to court the judge will ask for you to prove your case against the police radar, you'll more than likely lose unless you can prove a defective radar gun along with your speed certificate saying your speedometer is off.
As stated above, pay up and move on.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,553,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Also how do you know your speedometer is accurate? Have you gone to a speedometer shop and had your speedometer certified to accuracy. If not then you were probably doing what the radar said.
If you go to court the judge will ask for you to prove your case against the police radar, you'll more than likely lose unless you can prove a defective radar gun along with your speed certificate saying your speedometer is off.
As stated above, pay up and move on.
Wo! hold on there Check out my many post on red light tickets , fight it every time , you will win ! "Fighter 1"

Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 111,556 times
i got one at university and rural last year. it said i was going 46 in a 35 (at the time it was 11 or more). $160. yikes. i debated whether to pay it or not. In the end my conscience won and i paid it. course now i am more diligent about how fast i am going. lesson learned.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 14,583 times
DPS is just a source of revenue for the State--because no officer issued the DPS ticket, and there is no proof that the owner of the vehicle received the mailed citation, nothing happens when the mailed citation is ignored. Since roughly two thirds of the public pay the citation and nothing legally can be proved when the citations are ignored and not paid, the idea is you can get away with not paying or contesting your DPS ticket; Fighting a traffic in Arizona requires proof--i.e., pictures and witnesses. The courts here almost always side with the professional (police officer), and if you are given the opportunity to go to defense driving school (cost: $195.00), and have the ticket dismissed with no points on her driving record, that is the best choice. Heard this information from a retired Officer.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:26 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
THIS HAS GOTTA BE A JOKE . . .

65 or 67? . . . either one is SPEEDING. In fact, 56 is speeding and there is no law requiring a "grace" limit.

Grow up, pay the damn ticket and consider it a lesson learned.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,854 times
*PHOTO RADAR CASES*
HOW TO FIGHT PHOTO RADAR WHEN IT COME TO YOUR CITY

I wasn't born and I'm not going to die in a piggy bank!

I just got two tickets in the mail for $181.00 ea. and I'm pissed!

I drive to Flagstaff or Prescott two times a year and every year I do
65 through phoenix. I am a very aware driver. i don't look at billboards
I don't look away from the road. I watch other cars and the road - Period.
Being from a small town i am not used to driving on those freakin' monster highways in PHX.

Why not just look in my bank account and fine me seven, eight or
nine times? - For the same crime! You can't be charged with the same
crime twice! This is UnConstitutional!

You know is it a sheer money grab because they aren't
pointing points on our license. Give it a few years
and they will include points on our license.

People on this board have tried to think of ways to fight this.
And there is a way to fight this. Petition the courts asking them to allow
us to make our plea's to the judge with internet video conferencing.
Something like a higher level YouTube. (Does anyone know if
a more professional YouTube exists? One that is all certified
n stuff?)

And we can protest electronically - by vid cammin' our plea's and
sending them to the courts email addresses. And not only send
emails to the courts but to the Newspapers too - Reporter
email address and might as well send them to community colleges
and university emails.

Email goes something like this:

i can't make it to the court date to make my plea in person,
(i have to work overtime to make enough money to pay the $360
ticket.) Therefore i've attached this video of my plea. Please
forward it to the judge on my day and appointment as follows
DATE/TIME.

Signed

-----

Two tickets within six minutes of each other! If we lay down
now you know what will happen in a couple of years!

It is a moneymaking scheme the government is trying to
pull on us! They grab our money to fill their pockets during
a time of economic depression!
The worst since the great depression! Taking money from
the poor! According to them this will make
us commit more crimes! And make them even more money!

One ticket sure. No problem. I wouldn't have blinked an eye.
But two tickets!! in six minutes! What's next - team up with the
insurance companies to put points on our licenses?

What's worse is it true -

I can't afford to higher a lawyer.

The NewYork times agrees with the Common Person:

"To ensure fair outcomes, courts must do more to help people navigate the courts, said John T. Broderick, the chief justice of New Hampshire. “If you and I went to the hospital and they said, ‘Do you have insurance?’ and we don’t, and they said, ‘There are some textbooks over there with some really good illustrations,’ ” Judge Broderick said, “we would think that was immoral.”"

from
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/bu...nted=2&_r=1&hp

It is immoral to deny the common everyday person the right to plea their case
via Youtube or something more official and certified. We are all good people.
And a lot of us can't afford lawyers and we can't take time off work.

They shoot us on video then they get to see me the same way. Equal Rights Matter.
Equal Opportunity for Everyone.

Picasso101

Old 04-10-2009, 06:49 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Let me ask you this, how many time s have you broken the law and didn't get caught. Looks like the law of averages caught up with you.
Everyday drivers break one or more of the following laws and get away with it: speeding, failure to use their turn signals, rolling through stop signs, illegal lane changes, illegal passing, innattention like talking and/or texting while driving, following too close, road rage ,the list goes on and on.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
Moderator cut: orphaned
If you truly believe that then nothing anybody could post here will change your mind. Your post shows a "victimization" mentality. "Poor me."

Follow the speed limit, get a radar detector, or just throw away the mailed ticket and don't answer your front door for a few months.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-30-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona