Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
In Phoenix you call those 2 inch long roaches sewer roaches, and in Florida they call them palmetto bugs. Here in Texas we call the two inch ones baby roaches.
ewwwwwww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM

119 posts, read 313,061 times
Ok now i`m going to have night mares about roaches !

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,780 times
We had a bad roach problem when we moved into our house, but got organic pest control treatment -- they sprinkled diatomaceous earth (powdery stuff) in likely cracks and crevices and around pipes, and treated around the house with some mixture that smelled nicely of cloves -- and that seriously reduced the roaches and crickets. We went a whole summer without seeing even one. And diatomaceous earth is so safe you can eat it, and probably do, as they add it to stored grain to kill the bugs that would like to eat the grain. Mod cut: No links with less than 10 posts.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 05-27-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
We get a few but mainly I see them outside running around on the driveway or across sidewalks when walking in the evening.

It's somewhat jarring to think of because in many places I've lived having a roach in your house was a sign of an ill-kept house as they were the smaller German cockroaches where infestations are often more related to cleanliness. Here, FL, parts of TX you can have a spotless house and depending on sheer luck can occasionally have problems with large roaches.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Unfortunately bleach does not kill roaches unless poured directly on it, those who feel this works just got lucky and wouldn't have seen another roach either way.

My uncle who used to do pest control told us to use aspartame, the fake sugar, such as sweet and low. They cannot handle the the aspartame and will die, just like eating the boric acid.
Are we supposed to put the aspartame out for them to eat or pour it down the sinks?

altus2006

Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM

197 posts, read 393,000 times
It's very important to keep the house as clean as possible. Roaches and other creatures are somehow attracted to certain environments. Sometimes you can't do anything about it though, as in the flushing of the sewer system.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM

55 posts, read 126,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We get a few but mainly I see them outside running around on the driveway or across sidewalks when walking in the evening.

It's somewhat jarring to think of because in many places I've lived having a roach in your house was a sign of an ill-kept house as they were the smaller German cockroaches where infestations are often more related to cleanliness. Here, FL, parts of TX you can have a spotless house and depending on sheer luck can occasionally have problems with large roaches.
. Roaches Inside your home are rare in Florida unless you are really filthy. I don't know about TX or AZ

Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,660 times
where can you find the organic pest control and can you put it in the drains?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
They're "Palmettos", not roaches...
Net 'em with a small fish net & throw them back outside where they belong!
I'm sure they don't wanna be near you any more than you wanna be near them! They're lost man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I see you live in Miami, not here. They are NOT palmetto bugs, we don't have those here, they are, in fact, cockroaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Same thing, Periplaneta americana, aka The American Cockroach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
In Phoenix you call those 2 inch long roaches sewer roaches, and in Florida they call them palmetto bugs. Here in Texas we call the two inch ones baby roaches.
LOL!!!....dem buggers are everywhere!!!...and I HATE 'em!...ugh!!!...Thanks for the tips though...Boric Acid; Aspartamine; Riddex...and the other's as well...I will try them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
palmetto,water bug, roach, its all the same they are roaches

American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amen!...a stinkin' roach is a stinkin' roach...by any other name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juleysis1990 View Post
. Roaches Inside your home are rare in Florida unless you are really filthy. I don't know about TX or AZ
No, they are not rare!...and I am not really filthy...I am not even filthy...I am not even close to being flthy!!!...my home is very clean, thank you!...and I saw the first roach 2 nights ago...and killed that sucker! He was crawling on a very clean kitchen floor...thank you!...

Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
Never had them here. Then they just did a cleanse of the sewer system rite next to my house. Now we have these BIG ones crawling outside on my walls with wings. uckkk. None in my house, but with 5 cats and 4 dogs they do not stand a chance, but my neighbor has them in her house now.

We are both VERY clean people. They are freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona