Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 PM

21 posts, read 50,563 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Arizona in about a year. I just can't decide on the city. Coming from another state I really don't have the "inside scoop" on the reputation of the cities in Arizona. I'm looking for a city with medical job opportunities (which I assume should be easy to find). Also for a place that is a safe to raise a (future) family in and has average priced homes($300k and below is my budget). I really don't mind 100+ degree weather at all. Any advice? Thank you

Last edited by hellohellfroze; 03-20-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Not nearly enough information to say. It's a big state you know. You want to live in the city, urban-sprawl, a small town, or in desert isolation? We've got the whole gamut here. What do you like to do in your spare time? Do you have a significant other, or will you be looking for one in your new location? Do you need to be close to cultural attractions and big malls? Or would you prefer slower pace of life, beautiful scenery, clean air and no traffic? What other criteria do you have besides warm weather?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM

-Suburb
-Anything would be a step up from where I am now. Basically here we eat, we shop, we sleep.
-I'm not looking
-Medium sized town (moderate traffic and some attractions)
-Warm weather is a plus.. not a requirement for me. I would like a growing city... not one that hasn't grown since the 40s like where I am now. Trust me, I'm not picky.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Tucson is your place.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:43 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohellfroze View Post
-Suburb
-Anything would be a step up from where I am now. Basically here we eat, we shop, we sleep.
-I'm not looking
-Medium sized town (moderate traffic and some attractions)
-Warm weather is a plus.. not a requirement for me. I would like a growing city... not one that hasn't grown since the 40s like where I am now. Trust me, I'm not picky.
You really need to come to Arizona, spend some time and visit several cities and towns. Arizona is really diverse and different from any other state. I am amazed at how many folks consider moving here without spending serious time here first. It is a fabulous place but it is not for everyone. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,518 times
Best advice as previously suggested.....that being an unrushed trip and check it out. Arizona is a state with many faces. Phoenix, Tucson, Havasu, Flagstaff...each unique, each different. Heat is only one of the considerations. In the more desolate areas you might encounter an occasional "Rattler"....Last suggestion.....try to contact and speak with "long time" residents...not transplants. The Southwest has been a "hot spot" for relocation for some time now. People move to the desert Southwest, live there 2-3 years and talk, and act, like they have been there a lifetime. The ol timers are generally easy to spot....weathered skin, dusty boots, quiet, respectful demeanor, and somewhat cautious of newcomers. Enjoy your visit.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Last suggestion.....try to contact and speak with "long time" residents...not transplants.
Why?

Talking to long-time residents might get you a nice nostalgic view of the way things were. However, the more pertinent viewpoint would be from somebody who's actually made the transition within recent memory.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM

So basically from what I'm reading I shouldn't move to Arizona?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 PM

572 posts, read 2,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohellfroze View Post
So basically from what I'm reading I shouldn't move to Arizona?
Your more then welcome to move to my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link) town.
Lake Havasu !!!! But it gets hot very hot!!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM

30 posts, read 131,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why?

Talking to long-time residents might get you a nice nostalgic view of the way things were. However, the more pertinent viewpoint would be from somebody who's actually made the transition within recent memory.
I agree. I try to find people that have moved to Arizona within at least two years to get a true perspective and there opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona