Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

... for what it's worth, according to this site (UofA) there have been no reported fatalities from scorpions stings in the US for the past 20 years.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223/ (broken link)

Notice that is says that:

"Death is rare, especially in more recent times. Antivenin is available for severe cases. Certain people, however, may be allergic to the venom and can experience life-threatening side effects when stung (as occurs with bee stings). No cases of anaphylaxis have been reported in Arizona"

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-04-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
ms973, please disregard this poster. His/her unofficial job is to downplay a potentially serious threat. ]
Nope, that's not my unofficial job. I just come here to help people decide if they want to move to Phoenix. Plus, I'm definitely not the only one who "downplays it". Most PHOENICIAN'S will tell you that they don't have a problem with them. It's funny that the only person I ever see here that says it's a problem is someone who lives in Chicago.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:05 AM

55 posts, read 343,559 times
Thank you all for your posts. I knew that scorpions existed in AZ however, I was very naive to think that they were only in the actual "deserted" areas. I'm originally from Queens, NY what you expect!! The only thing we saw in the middle of night, occasionally was a huge black water bug make its way in the house!! And that was on those lovely humid nights. I am still a little weary after seeing that article on the child hospitalized but I have to realize that if people were dying each day from scorpion stings would all these people be moving there??

Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Well, all I can say is that if youre in AZ, you live with these critters. Best take precautions, its stupid not to.

And while not many people have died in AZ since the 60s, its because of ONE thing: anti-venin is readily available (for a short time only). Put it this way: why would there be anti-venin for the bark scorpion sting if they werent dangerous? Had there been no AV developed for the bark scorpion, HUNDREDS (if not thousands) would have died since the 60s. Let that sink in... Those scorpions are no joke, dont take them lightly. Heck, even 2 people have died even while on AV treatments. Do yourselves a favor and read these articles, especially those with children. The proof is out there, dont downplay a serious issue.

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4761675&nav=menu216_8 (broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_bark_scorpion

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/a/scorpions01_2.htm

http://chainreaction.asu.edu/desert/digin/antivenin.htm

Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, all I can say is that if youre in AZ, you live with these critters. Best take precautions, its stupid not to.

And while not many people have died in AZ since the 60s, its because of ONE thing: anti-venin is readily available (for a short time only). Put it this way: why would there be anti-venin for the bark scorpion sting if they werent dangerous? Had there been no AV developed for the bark scorpion, HUNDREDS (if not thousands) would have died since the 60s. Let that sink in... Those scorpions are no joke, dont take them lightly. Heck, even 2 people have died even while on AV treatments. Do yourselves a favor and read these articles, especially those with children. The proof is out there, dont downplay a serious issue.

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4761675&nav=menu216_8 (broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_bark_scorpion

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/a/scorpions01_2.htm

http://chainreaction.asu.edu/desert/digin/antivenin.htm
I wouldn't downplay the risk, but I wouldn't let it frighten me unduly either - and I certainly would not let it keep me from moving there. The fact is, it's very clear that your risk of killing yourself in an auto accident is probably a million times greater than your risk of dying from a scorpion sting (keeping in mind that there are what, 40,000-50,000 death pers year nationwide in auto accidents - so over a 20 year period you can figure nearly 1 million such deaths, compared to 0 from scorpion stings over the same period). In fact, it's also true that there's a greater risk of drowning in your bathtub, falling down the stairs or dying from a bee sting.

So yeah, use common sense in regards to scorpions, but also keep the situation in perspective and do NOT let it drive your decision-making in regards to moving there in any way, shape or form. Every part of the country has it's unique risks. The midwest has it's tornados, the south has those and hurricanes as well (plus snakes, biting insects etc), the west coast has earthquakes. Heck, even New England has rattlesnakes and black widows (though not nearly as common as in the desert southwest).

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-05-2007 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Wink FACT or OPINION ?

I believe that there are several people who seem to have problems with someone else’s posted comments. Personally I enjoy reading the thoughts and comments from everyone about most of the topics. The one thing that any reader must keep in mind is that all the posted comments are “opinions” based on what a person has experienced, or “fact” of what a person may have found to support his/her comments. I’ve seen “facts” that are supported on each side of a discussion that always provides two different answers.

Personally on this topic, I’ve lived here (Phoenix) for just over 25 years and have never had any scorpions inside or outside the house. That’s a “fact”! I have a cousin who lives in Mesa who has problems every year with scorpions. His house is in a citrus orchard and is overrun with them. That’s a “fact”.

So what’s wrong with opinions that are facts that are posted?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 AM

55 posts, read 343,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I believe that there are several people who seem to have problems with someone else’s posted comments. Personally I enjoy reading the thoughts and comments from everyone about most of the topics. The one thing that any reader must keep in mind is that all the posted comments are “opinions” based on what a person has experienced, or “fact” of what a person may have found to support his/her comments. I’ve seen “facts” that are supported on each side of a discussion that always provides two different answers.

Personally on this topic, I’ve lived here (Phoenix) for just over 25 years and have never had any scorpions inside or outside the house. That’s a “fact”! I have a cousin who lives in Mesa who has problems every year with scorpions. His house is in a citrus orchard and is overrun with them. That’s a “fact”.

So what’s wrong with opinions that are facts that are posted?
It seems that Mesa has more problems with scorpions. I may be wrong. That is also where the realtor I worked with lives and said he also finds them indoors yearly. Would you know of any other areas which are more common for scorpion sightings? I liked the following areas Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Gilbert and Chandler.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I understand that Arrowhead Ranch has them, and a friend of the wife’s says that her gated community (inside a citrus grove) has thousands of the little critters. Everyone is trying to get rid of them and can’t. The HOA in the area won’t help, it’s a problem out of control and there is no hope for her. She’s thinking of moving. I can’t think of the name of the community only that it is location is near 50th Ave. and Cactus St. which is in Glendale I believe.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I wouldn't downplay the risk, but I wouldn't let it frighten me unduly either - and I certainly would not let it keep me from moving there. The fact is, it's very clear that your risk of killing yourself in an auto accident is probably a million times greater than your risk of dying from a scorpion sting (keeping in mind that there are what, 40,000-50,000 death pers year nationwide in auto accidents - so over a 20 year period you can figure nearly 1 million such deaths, compared to 0 from scorpion stings over the same period). In fact, it's also true that there's a greater risk of drowning in your bathtub, falling down the stairs or dying from a bee sting.

So yeah, use common sense in regards to scorpions, but also keep the situation in perspective and do NOT let it drive your decision-making in regards to moving there in any way, shape or form. Every part of the country has it's unique risks. The midwest has it's tornados, the south has those and hurricanes as well (plus snakes, biting insects etc), the west coast has earthquakes. Heck, even New England has rattlesnakes and black widows (though not nearly as common as in the desert southwest).

Ken
What an excellent reply putting the matter into perspective! As a very long time resident and recipient of a sting or two, I certainly would agree that the presence of scorpions is about the last thing I would consider in making a move to the Arizona desert. It is for the most part, a non-issue (as are black widows and rattlesnakes for that matter) for those of us who actually live here year in and year out.

Here is a local and authoritative source of information about the scorpion "threat": http://askabiologist.asu.edu/research/scorpions/index.html (broken link)

The AZ poison control center and Banner health also have info if you google their webs.

Anyhow, relax about this. In all the years I have been here I have NEVER heard anyone say "I've got to get away from here because of the scorpions (or other critters)". In fact, one of the big pluses of living here is the overall absence of bugs.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,130 times
Default My opinion

Heres my opinion on it - Like balfor or Ken said, to let scorpions prevent you from moving to the Phoenix metro area is simply ridiculous. Now, should you be totally ignorant to them? Like Steve-O said, not at all, you need to be aware of them and take the necessary precautions but I also think that he takes it a little to the extreme. There are two hotels, one near central Scottsdale and the other near North Scottsdale that have totally open entrances in the front and back. BEAUTIFUL hotels with no doors and wide open entrances with desert scenery around them. Why arent scorpions OVERRUNING the hotels and putting them out of business. After all it is around desert scenery and all they have to do is simply waltz right in!! They have ZERO problems with them despite having totally open entrances and being surrounded by desert landscape. Sure, Im sure they take precautions and things but dont like I said, if it was such a horrible problem, scorpions would be overruning the places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona