Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,985 times

Advertisements

I don't hate the Phoenix area, as I was born here and it's alright, but I just wanted to let you know that besides like downtown Phoenix/Tempe the majority of the Phoenix metro area is a boring repetitive mass of suburbs, and the newer the houses (farther out from the center), the more repetitive and same-looking the neighborhoods are. If you didn't pay attention to the signs, you usually wouldn't be able to tell which Phoenix suburb you're in. Cities and suburbs out west aren't like cities and suburbs out east in the sense that here they are more grid-planned and lack variety, and newer, and with a lack of history comes a sort of lack of "culture". But, perhaps I'm just being a depressing teenager, as you could interpret "repetitive" and "bland" instead as "more organized", "homogeneous" and "convenient". If suburbia to the max is what you're looking for, the area surrounding Phoenix is fine choice I suppose. Just avoid South Phoenix, and this is borderline snobbery for me to say but "the avenues" (the west side of the metro area, besides like Sun City and such which are mostly just old people) -generally- has more "bad" areas than the "east side" (NE Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe) but I must say my knowledge of the Mesa-Gilbert-Chandler area is lacking but I do know it's basically more suburbs. If you like mountains/short hikes, my area (NE Phoenix/Paradise Valley) is nice, the Phoenix Mountains Preserve is really close- such beautiful views, especially at night with all the lights. Also, one last thing, when you get here and you're driving around, don't mix up the north/south 'avenues' (west) and 'streets' (east), this continuous grid plan is in most (not all) of the valley, split by Central Ave. It would suck to end up on 67th Ave & Thunderbird instead of 67th St & Thunderbird, time and gas wise. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here wherever you end up! Despite my negative comments, if you like the desert and you just want a piece of suburbia, the Valley of the Sun is a good choice.

Last edited by ckwasi92; 05-28-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,933 times
Default Arizona is soo pretty!

Thnak you everyone for your advice good and bad I am currently in Kingman now I had an interview at Kingman regional. Kingman is actually a pretty nice small town, although too small for me. Tomorrow I am headed out to Phoenix in the am and Tucson in the afternoon all for interviews. Would it be at all possible to work at Northwestern Hosp in Tucson and live in the most Southern part of Chandler? I realize it's probably an hour and a half commute but it is really worth it for my kids to go to better schools and be safe. They have always gone to public schools by the way. Again thank you so much you guys are awesome!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Aside from gas prices creeping up again, I think that commute would wear you out. I hope you find a spot in the Valley.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 PM

17 posts, read 49,159 times
I can tell you one thing. The rental market is moving down here. Most homes priced around 2200 per month are leasing fast. We haven't seen one property make it 10 days on the market without being leased. If you are planning on moving to AZ, keep in mind, finding homes can be frustrating. Even the homes for sale are moving fast. Just the other day, we showed 15 homes in Gilbert. All but one were in poor condition...no condition to buy. And most had an offer on it.

Kyrene does have a good reputation. The homes in this district usually are priced high as a result but well worth the money if you desire the best school. Most homes priced in the area are fairly new. Nothing older than 1990. They should have that stucko style look that most people like. The only area you'll find an older type of home is Mesa just North of the 60. Median price is 80k. Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 PM

194 posts, read 568,033 times
Agreed. Homes are definately moving here again THANK GOD.

Steals can still be had at $100-150 (customs and semi customs) per square foot in South Gilbert. Thats a killer deal, especially in a neighborhood like that!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHomes View Post
Kyrene does have a good reputation. The homes in this district usually are priced high as a result but well worth the money if you desire the best school. Most homes priced in the area are fairly new. Nothing older than 1990. They should have that stucko style look that most people like. The only area you'll find an older type of home is Mesa just North of the 60. Median price is 80k. Hope this helps.
There's a lot in Kyrene Dist that is older than 1990, I'd say most of the homes in the district are older than that, ( I have one of those homes)except in the southern parts in Chandler and over toward the foothills but, the dist is full of well-maintained neighborhoods, many of the homes that are older have been refurbished/remodeled. It's an excellent area, with good freeway access and lots of nice areas for families.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Talking It's official, we are here!

Hi everyone! So we made the move!! ( it was one of the worst drives by the way w/ 2 dogs, a bunny, 2 leopard geckos, and a hampster) I took a full time position w/ Maricopa Integrated health sytem (for the Arizona State Retirement System and I love the trauma hospital setting) and a part time job w/ Scottsdale Health Osborn. We ended up doing a short term rental at Villa Pallavicini apts in Chandler less than a mile from the Fashion Center.

We like Arizona a lot ,but we are not really happy w/Chandler. It just seems like a really big city w/a lot of people and stores oh and traffic. LoL. I am also not really happy with the boy's schools Andersen Elem and Andersen JR high. There is a lot of bad elements in the school w/ certain groups wearing certain colors and claiming to be a gang. They also seem to racially profile students and Parents. I am part Italian and part Black and so are my boys and on two occasions I was questioned by the office staff as to whether or not I needed handouts in Spanish. Why would they just assume I don't speak English? I spoke English when I enrolled them , so weird.

Well we've probably been everywhere in the Valley and surrounding areas including Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Fountain Hills, all of Chandler ,and finally most of Gilbert. We finally decided on South Gilbert specifically Seville Country Club on Higley and Chandler Heights. It is absolutely beautiful there and soooo affordable! There are plenty of kids in the area and the mall is awesome. I don't know about the major Morman population there ,but we have met some of our new neighbors and they all are super nice ,so I don't care what religion they are. I got a great deal on new construction and bought a fantastic house $100,000 under my budget! The boys will still be in CUSD ,but they will go to Riggs, and Payne which got great ratings on greatschools.net

I am so happy we moved here ,although we have not moved into the new house yet I know we will love it. I'll keep you guys posted ,and thanks again for all the info. You guys rock!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 PM

194 posts, read 568,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonogirl7 View Post

Well we've probably been everywhere in the Valley and surrounding areas including Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Fountain Hills, all of Chandler ,and finally most of Gilbert. We finally decided on South Gilbert specifically Seville Country Club on Higley and Chandler Heights.
Welcome soon to be neighbor. You chose well.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Glad everything seems to be working out. I think you will like that area very much, and it sounds like you got a great deal on a house you like. Good for you! Keep us posted on how things go.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydog View Post
Welcome soon to be neighbor. You chose well.
I really feel good about the area. The kids and I ate at Bolero's in the Country Club two weekends ago and we felt like Royalty, we even took pictures holding wine glasses (of water of course)on the patio! LOL The food was awesome there, the club is actually what really sold me it's like living at a resort year round.

I think the East Valley is really starting to grow on me. I'm from South Jersey where there is more farm land than city so I feel right at home in Gilbert, and to whoever said it smells like cow poo is partially right we only smell the poo as we are riding by the cows ,but as soon as you pass them you don't smell it anymore and we def don't smell it in our neighborhood. It does kindof make us want to ralph though

Also what is with the no lights at night in Gilbert us out of towners don't have a chance driving around at night ,but I guess that adds to the whole ambiance ,and those stars are so bright at night. Apart from the brief poo aroma I Love Gilbert. I will def keep you guys posted as we should be moved in by Oct 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona