Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,197,910 times

Advertisements

Some people have been asking about the current situation in Nogales, Mexico. I hadn't been there for some time due to the shootings last year. Went down today and decided to share my experience. Just as it's always the case, the media blows things out of proportion. I was pretty sure that even when there were real problems they never involved downtown because it simply doesn't make any sense (it's right by the border), but decided not to look intentionally for trouble.

Based on the media's BS, I was almost expecting to see a ghost town. The place is as bustling as ever. There are more stores closed in Tucson than in Nogales. Unfortunately, my favorite cappuccino pit stop has shut down, but the place is for rent again. Perhaps next time it'll be back in the game. On the other hand, my much missed molcajete is still there. Viva El Oasis!

Nogales is really trying hard to revive tourism. It's cleaner than it's ever been and there were actually much fewer beggars for some reason. Perhaps they were ordered out of downtown... don't know. Some facades have been painted. The dental business seems to be blooming more and more (small wonder with the prices here). There are more and fancier-looking offices with signs in English. Some merchants make attempts to be less pushy. That's something that's always annoyed me. I'm much more likely to buy something if I'm left alone. There weren't many Americans, but the flow of visitors had slowed down before Nogales started having problems with crime.

The checkpoint North of Tubac appears to be slowing down traffic a little more than before. It's the dumbest thing ever, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, if I'm smuggling somebody or something I'd do it right on I-19 where I know there is a checkpoint! "You US citizen, Ma'am?"; "Yeah"... What if I'm not?! Anyway, not that big of a deal, but a small irritation nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM

551 posts, read 2,726,996 times
You bring up very good points. I seriously doubt the media would ever report, "Yup. Things are just as normal as they ever were!" Where is the sensationalism in that???

Nogales isn't Juarez, and as long as you take the normal precautions that you would when visiting any Mexican boarder town, you should be fine. And as far as anyone thinking it is a ghost town, just try waiting in line for 1-2 hours trying to cross back into the US and let us know if it's a ghost town or not!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
You bring up very good points. I seriously doubt the media would ever report, "Yup. Things are just as normal as they ever were!" Where is the sensationalism in that???

Nogales isn't Juarez, and as long as you take the normal precautions that you would when visiting any Mexican boarder town, you should be fine. And as far as anyone thinking it is a ghost town, just try waiting in line for 1-2 hours trying to cross back into the US and let us know if it's a ghost town or not!
Oh, from one article you could get the impression every other store was closed! Yeah, right... not only aren't they closed, but they are renovated. Some new ones opened as well. I'm not saying business is great... it isn't... just as it isn't here. Frankly, I wonder myself how they manage to stay afloat, but they somehow do.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,676 times
Default Nogales

Is there a place there to buy hearng aids?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeystu2 View Post
Is there a place there to buy hearng aids?
If they're sold in pharmacies, yes, there are plenty of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona