Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 PM

13 posts, read 45,317 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Golden Valley, AZ. from Kansas City, MO.

I need real, honest answers as to the rate of crime, quality of schools and general living conditions of the area.

You generally only get a view through rose-colored glasses from real estate agents who are just looking to sell you a home.

We're looking at the west side (farthest from Kingman) because it looks more rural out there, but I've heard a few things about meth users/pushers in the Kingman/GV areas, is it really that bad?

Kansas City sucks in the crime aspect, that I can tell you from personal experience of living here for the last 23 years. (I lived in Wickenburg, AZ. before that).

I am dying to get back to the place I loved, but I am having second thoughts after hearing such negative chatter on these threads.

Any honest, personal experience(s) are appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 16,925 times
Thumbs up Golden Valley

First, I am a new resident of Golden Valley. I also heard all kinds of stories about drugs, crime, etc. So far, none of this has proven to be true. Like any area where people live, there is some kind of crime. Most of the stuff in Golden Valley is misdemeanor stuff. My impression is that the east end of the valley, (closer to Kingman) is the more active area. We located in the west end, just a few miles from Railroad Pass on AZ-68. I tell my friends I am under the nose of the "Sleeping Indian", a rock formation. So far the only vandals I've had to deal with are roadrunners and quail leaving footprints in the famous "moondust". (Yeah, it is dusty in Golden Valley). If you like grass and pretty green things, be prepared for a culture shock! The growing and upkeep of a lawn in the valley is near impossible. If you like desert landscaping, (i.e.; natural or native plants and shrubs), you will discover that yard maintenance is a breeze. In fact, if you wait for the breeze, which is always constant, plants (tumbleweeds, sagebrush, etc.) will come to you.
But with all this said, I wouldn't live anyplace else. This is really rural. Peaceful, quiet, and at night you can actually see the stars. The air is clean and fresh, and the views are incredible!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 AM

343 posts, read 546,876 times
I have to agree with spoole1. It's a very peaceful area and will be the new and upcoming development. Don't let the negative chatter affect you, sometimes this is the only place people can dump their crap because no one else loves them enough to hear it. I grew up on a farm in the midwest and never had exposure to drugs, but last year there was a large meth bust at my parent's neighbor's abondoned building. Meth has been an affliction across all of America, and rural areas that were normally safe from drug traffic are being exposed due to it's ideal location away from folks who can smell it's vapors when being cooked. If you really want to get back to the place you love, then do it because Golden Valley will be a much different place in 10 years. The construction on the new bridge to Vegas will be completed soon and that will attract many people who work their. The water issue is moot because it's the same story that has been told time and time again for the past 50 years, yet it sits atop a large aquifer. I do business in the area and most folks are extremely excited!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,437 times
Well this is wonderful forum to express some of the thoughts I've had about Golden Valley and to read other's observation/experiences. I just found this forum searching Golden Valley, Arizona while I am now in Sacramento California browsing about on my computer. Where my place is located in western Golden Valley we have had many troubles with house thefts, mail thefts, mail deliveries, and nothing seems to be done about it. There are no police substations that I am aware of. Most of the homes around me have been hit by thieves even those with several large dogs on the property. A thief was recently run off my neighbors place when they saw another neighbor watching them. Last month another neighbor lost many tools to thieves. He said they were young drug addicts who lived nearby. The mail is regularly stolen from the mail boxes. I will probably move soon though there are also some great reasons to stay. I've spent the best part of the past 5 years in Golden Valley. It is beautiful and rugged, hot and dusty, windy, with severe winters and dry hot summers. I think with common sense and appreciation for the wilderness, and nature, many survive comfortably there.
Anyway, the best to you in your plans.......

Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM

51 posts, read 275,510 times
where is golden valley?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,441,966 times
Just west of Kingman off of hwy 93

Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 23,845 times
It's a very quiet place. Very rural but I haven't heard anything bad about it at all. People who want to get away from Kingman live out there, and it's really not that far from much at all.

As for crime, I really don't hear about much crime out there at all. I don't think people are pushing much of anything out here, hahaha.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM

21 posts, read 124,025 times
Make yourself a visit before any move because you really need to see for yourself. It is between Bullhead and Kingman and it is rural. Depending on how rural you are looking for there aren't too many paved roads. You would need to stock up on groceries because there are only mom and pop stores in the area. Property has gone up in price, however most areas have no restrictions on what goes on it. You could have a beautiful home and right next door an old dumpy trailer. Someday, it might be a good place to live.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 51,646 times
Default Its not Wickenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonijah View Post
I am planning on moving to Golden Valley, AZ. from Kansas City, MO.

I need real, honest answers as to the rate of crime, quality of schools and general living conditions of the area.

You generally only get a view through rose-colored glasses from real estate agents who are just looking to sell you a home.

We're looking at the west side (farthest from Kingman) because it looks more rural out there, but I've heard a few things about meth users/pushers in the Kingman/GV areas, is it really that bad?

Kansas City sucks in the crime aspect, that I can tell you from personal experience of living here for the last 23 years. (I lived in Wickenburg, AZ. before that).

I am dying to get back to the place I loved, but I am having second thoughts after hearing such negative chatter on these threads.

Any honest, personal experience(s) are appreciated! Thanks!
As a former Missourian (from K.C. and St. Louis) all I can say is its REALLY RURAL. There are a lot of folks moving to Golden Valley. Its between Kingman and Bullhead City. Right now it has a school, single wide trailer sized library and small medical center. ...and a Sonic drive INN. It depends on how many amenities you want in life

Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 PM

105 posts, read 444,500 times
I have driven through it, it reminds me of Apache Junction long ago. Pretty, isolated, with moutains all around. I also ate at a McDonald's in Eagar, AZ last week, and on the tray cover was a map of McDonald's restaurants in Arizona; and one was listed in Golden Valley. I don't think that there is one there, though. Maybe on the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona