Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times

Advertisements

If so, what are they like. What are the differences between those homes and regular homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
bump

Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
If so, what are they like. What are the differences between those homes and regular homes.
Besides the visual differences, they aren't really any different.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Besides the visual differences, they aren't really any different.
Not necessarily true.

A lot depends on the methods of construction. Our Adobe does not and cannot, compare to "traditional" construction

Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not necessarily true.

A lot depends on the methods of construction. Our Adobe does not and cannot, compare to "traditional" construction
True, but most "abobes" around AZ are just basic homes with extra work done on the outsides to give it that visual appearance. You make the walls smooth and have some round logs sticking out of the roof and you call it whatever you want.

The home will still offer the things a normal home would offer.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
True, but most "abobes" around AZ are just basic homes with extra work done on the outsides to give it that visual appearance. You make the walls smooth and have some round logs sticking out of the roof and you call it whatever you want.

The home will still offer the things a normal home would offer.
Again, not necessarily true.

Many "real" Adobes are being built - such as ours. Real adobe bricks (we had our bricks made on site - it took over a year to "make" enough to get the basic home done - we are still having bricks made for the expansion.

The log roof is engineered to withstand the loads - they are not just "stuck through" for appearence.

Again - more and more "real adobes" are being built in Arizona and New Mexico these days.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 AM

136 posts, read 300,238 times
It's true that real abode has made a comeback, but most "ornamental" adobe here in Albuquerque is stucco. The vigas (wooden posts) can be real ends of ceiling log beams or can be fake vigas.

I understand real adobe bricks have excellent insulation properties.

Last edited by nmweatherman; 07-14-2009 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: I need a new keyboard!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
I understand real adobe bricks have excellent insulation properties.
You are right - they are wonderful insulation - its been very hot lately here. Yet, the A/C units have not been working overtime to cool the property.

Our Vigas are real - they are part of the structure.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 AM

687 posts, read 2,952,420 times
son is a roofing contractor.......says that the new style of "adobe" and santa fe houses are just leaks waiting to happen. Notice that I said the "new style". Some builders are paying little attention to drainage, leaving low lying areas on the flat roofs, not enough "scuppers"...those decorative looking but oh so necessary drainage holes in the wall surrounding the roof. There is a entire subdivision of such homes in Sierra Vista, higher end(at the time)homes that started around $275,000 and up in 03......all had to have the roofs rebuilt and reroofed due to poor construction technique and roofing material. Son was happy to do it, especially since he'd bid on the project, inspected the models and pointed out the problems to the general contractor while still in the "presale" phase. They turned him down, not so much on price but felt he was overly concerned about their building practices. The old pay me now or pay me alot more later thing........he did very well "redoing" all the cheaper roofing contractor had done, on about 40 homes.

The real adobe......refer to another post re;building a small adobe cabin on the az thread. I think you have to use all the old style building practices to utilize adobe warm/cold advantages. My experience wasn't great with it. All I know about it you could put on the head of a pin and still roller skate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona