Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,224 times

Advertisements

Hey, im currently 18 and getting ready to start college real soon. I'm not really sure what career I want, and im worried that I might be with a low paying job stuck in Miami for the rest of my life. Now for some people Miami is a great place,im just not that type of guy. As soon as i finish up with college hopefully i saved enough money to move to Arizona. I've been looking into this state for a while, i think i might move to Scottsdale, Prescott, or somewhere in Flagstaff. Theres always gonna be the fear of moving somewhere and not liking it, and should i move there and then find someone to marry or should i try that back here. Im really overwhelmed and part of me is just telling me to stay in Florida and try somewhere else. I'm pretty sure i would like a suburb home in Arizona just don't know what I'm doing with my life right now. Also what happens if i just don't find a good job up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:44 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
If you're just starting college, I would not worry about where you want to move when you get out, you'll probably be a completely different person, a lot can change in the 4-5 years it takes to get a degree.

I would get your degree, and then start looking for, that should be your deciding factor on where to move.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:24 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Join the US Air Force and get some direction to your life.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
good that you're thinking about the issues, but don't worry yet......you're only 18, for Christ's sake!....

get that degree, study hard, work during summer, get experience in your work interest, meet people for future contacts, have fun, get some sleep, eat well, don't smoke or do drugs..........

Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,224 times
Why not go to college in Arizona. You have many choices. NAU in Flagstaff, ASU in Tempe, and UofA in Tucson. Then there are various colleges and community colleges around the state, as well as Technical schools. What are you into? You could start your pre-requisites that go with any type of degree; IE: Math, English, Science, whatever.

Decide what you want to do later. Don't freak out, you are only 18. I am 23, been in the army 5 years because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life yet. I have matured since then, and I know what I want now.

The Air Force may be good for you. They take care of their Airmen. You could go Air Force, and get stationed at Luke AFB in Litchfield/Goodyear.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 AM

63 posts, read 230,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
Why not go to college in Arizona. You have many choices. NAU in Flagstaff, ASU in Tempe, and UofA in Tucson. Then there are various colleges and community colleges around the state, as well as Technical schools. What are you into? You could start your pre-requisites that go with any type of degree; IE: Math, English, Science, whatever.

Decide what you want to do later. Don't freak out, you are only 18. I am 23, been in the army 5 years because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life yet. I have matured since then, and I know what I want now.

The Air Force may be good for you. They take care of their Airmen. You could go Air Force, and get stationed at Luke AFB in Litchfield/Goodyear.
First and foremost, thank you for your service to this great republic, AZBatman86

Secondly, to Puppetmaster- AZBatman86 gave you some great advice in reference to the Air Force. I joined the military (Air National Guard) in 2005 and it was hands down, the BEST decision I have made thus far.

The Air Force has provided me with a great full time career, great training, and an excellent stepping stone for a career in the civilian private sector. Heck, they are even paying for me to get my Bachelors Degree!

In times of economic uncertainty, the benefits of joining any branch of the military whether it be active duty or National Guard/Reserves are too good to pass up. Giving back to your country, bettering yourself and seeing other parts of the country/world are some great reasons to enlist. That would be a great start and a strong building block for whatever career you may choose. You will be suprised how many doors of opportunity which will open up to you while in the service.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
College in Florida for in state residents with good grades is relatively inexpensive - I wouldn't advise coming here for school. I'd stay there to get your degree, do all the things azdr0710advised, and then see what you want to do. A lot can happen in four years. If you still want to be here, then you can make that happen. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 PM

36 posts, read 79,433 times
Maybe you should just take a vacation in AZ. and see if you like it. Summers in Scottsdale are very hot and quite uncomfortable at times but the scenery is so beautiful and winters are mild but not warm like Miami. Although Flagstaff is the cooler part of AZ. They do get snow. Instead of worrying about it at 18 years old take some buddies with and go on a vacation! Go see Scottsdale, Glendale, Flagstaff and be sure to check out Sedona. I recommend visiting in the summer so you can see how hot it is in the southern parts and then go up north and check that out as well. I absolutely love AZ. The mountains are so much fun to hike. Then if you don't think that it fits you, you can check out different states each summer while your still in college so you find the right fit for you.
Lots of luck!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly01 View Post
Maybe you should just take a vacation in AZ. and see if you like it. Summers in Scottsdale are very hot and quite uncomfortable at times but the scenery is so beautiful and winters are mild but not warm like Miami. Although Flagstaff is the cooler part of AZ. They do get snow. Instead of worrying about it at 18 years old take some buddies with and go on a vacation! Go see Scottsdale, Glendale, Flagstaff and be sure to check out Sedona. I recommend visiting in the summer so you can see how hot it is in the southern parts and then go up north and check that out as well. I absolutely love AZ. The mountains are so much fun to hike. Then if you don't think that it fits you, you can check out different states each summer while your still in college so you find the right fit for you.
Lots of luck!
Best advice yet! Come out here a few times during different times of the year, even if it's just for a long weekend. How can you decide to move to a place if you've never experienced what it will be like. I'm still trying to move there (need to sell my house), but I've also done my homework and research and have visited many, many times.

I do agree with what just about everyone else said - you're only 18!! Enjoy your life. Go to college and make the most of those years. Who knows where your head will be when you graduate. AZ may be a long-forgotten thought to you by then.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
I suggest you come to Arizona several times and spend some significant time here B4 moving moving here. Otherwise, you could end up coming here and hating it and regretting it. Secondly, since you are in college, searching for a job is more important than moving to a state you desire. Finding the job, no matter where it is, is more important and you have to move where the job is. Here's a hint.......we dont have good jobs here. Your best interest may be in going elsewhere. Most jobs in AZ are in service industries that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future. Trust me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona