Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:17 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,845 times

Advertisements

Never been there but am eyeballing it for a short fishing trip towards the end of August.

How is it there during August for fishing and temperature? Is it accessible by 2wd passenger car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Never been there but am eyeballing it for a short fishing trip towards the end of August.

How is it there during August for fishing and temperature? Is it accessible by 2wd passenger car?

Yes it is accesible by 2 wheel car, but can get a little bumpy....August will be nice and cool...but be warned with the monsoons you can get some mighty good rains up there...and it can get downright cold.

As far as fishing, truth be told I dont remember fishing it in August....I ususally go up there in the fall ( late Sept- Oct) and tear it up....but it can be frigid then.

Riggs is a great place and worth the trip.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
If you are talking about Riggs Lake on Mt. Graham it is a really nice place to go. I love camping there, but the fishing isn't always that great. If you have never been there keep in mind it isn't a huge lake.. you can walk around the entire thing in not very much time (and there won't be any big speed boats). It is paved road almost the entire way, and the last mile or so is dirt road. There have been several bear sightings lately, but I haven't heard any stories of them bothering people.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
If you are talking about Riggs Lake on Mt. Graham it is a really nice place to go. I love camping there, but the fishing isn't always that great. If you have never been there keep in mind it isn't a huge lake.. you can walk around the entire thing in not very much time (and there won't be any big speed boats). It is paved road almost the entire way, and the last mile or so is dirt road. There have been several bear sightings lately, but I haven't heard any stories of them bothering people.

Actually the last 12 miles are gravel...but pretty well maintaned....as far as fishing, in the fall when we go you catch them as fast as you want....i just havent fished it in August....but If I did I would use a small boat to get out past any moss. and I think you would have good success.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
It has been about a year and a half since we have been all the way up to the lake. We are planning a weekend camping trip there sometime this summer though, I am excited!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Well, I don't have a boat, and I have not been fishing in 10+ years.

The idea started out as an idea to go camping, and I figured why not try to fish at the same time?

My biggest requirements is to get away from the Tucson heat. So this area sounds good.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
I've been up there during a summer afternoon storm and it can get very cold, wet, and windy....just be ready for that

Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I've been up there during a summer afternoon storm and it can get very cold, wet, and windy....just be ready for that

I am always prepared for that when I am out in the sticks - regardless of the time of year.

Better safe than frozen solid!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,726 times
I have always had very good luck trout fishing at Riggs,no matter when I went April-October. If you are going to tent camp,make sure everything is secure in your car,as their is some black bear activity usually at night.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM

308 posts, read 791,072 times
I went up there over Memorial Day weekend several years ago. There was frost every night but the days were very nice. The fish would not bite at all. The campground guy told me the lake's PH was way off. It is really a large pond more than a lake, I did all my fishing from the bank. A canoe or similar small boat would be all you need. The area around the lake is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I spent some time on my mountain bike and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: