Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,525 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on relocating to Arizona. Good schools and a good safe family community are important. I have narrowed my search down to Surprise, Gilbert and Anthem. We are also looking for a community with walking / biking trails, parks, and plenty of outdoor activities. I would love a place where you actually get to know (and like) your neighbors and there are plenty of family friendly things to do. Any suggestions on those 3 places I mentioned - or thoughts on a town I havent thought of yet would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
I would cross Gilbert off that list, and Surprise is fine if you work in the area, but most people who live out there are forced to commute a good distance to work.

Anthem is a great little community, it has everything right there so you don't need to leave the area unless it's for work, and getting in/out of Phoenix on the I-17 can be a drag, but it looks like they completed the Frontage road along the I-17 which you could trave on as well down to Carefree.

Do you know where you will be working?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
You might want to list your needs and prioritize them so you can quickly eliminate undesirable areas. If good schools top the list then decide what in your opinion makes a school good and find the ones meeting those requirements.

Most likely any area with good schools will also be safe, but watch for exceptions and weed them out. Generally, the parts of town with lots of apartments will be less safe.

maps.google.com is a good way to check out an area. The satellite view shows all the parks and trails. You can enter something like "libraries" in the search box to see where these are located. There is also a good map online for biking/hiking trails. Below is the link. Terraine view shows the topography so if you like to start the day with a hike up some mountain this shows you where it's possible.

Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG)

If you need to commute to work that should probably be on the top of your list. There are good places to live in just about any direction. If your job location is likely to change then pick a place that has good access to possible future jobs too.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM

You can even use the "StreetView" feature to see the building from the ground, instead of from above. I used this when apartment hunting.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Gilbert is a great area - as is Chandler.

Newer areas. New Schools. New parks and other family facilities.

Easy access to the 101, 60, 202 freeways - as well as the I-10.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
I would suggest Surprise, but I think a lot depends on where you will work.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Gilbert is a great area - as is Chandler.

Newer areas. New Schools. New parks and other family facilities.

Easy access to the 101, 60, 202 freeways - as well as the I-10.
East Valley is notorious for issues with meth, if you are raising a family you should avoid this area. Like I have said before, I lived in Gilbert for 3 years and it was horrible, tons of crime, even though the houses were built in 2001, just goes to show that the nicer looking areas aren't always the best.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
East Valley is notorious for issues with meth, if you are raising a family you should avoid this area. Like I have said before, I lived in Gilbert for 3 years and it was horrible, tons of crime, even though the houses were built in 2001, just goes to show that the nicer looking areas aren't always the best.
Frankly Josh -- ALL AREAS OF THE VALLEY have meth problems. And, most of the construction in Gilbert occured in 2003 es seq

Also, you use the term "east valley" - that is not only Gilbert Josh. It includes Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale etc.

Gilbert and Chandler are fine communities.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
Thanks for all the replies so far. I appreciate the feedback. I don't know where I will be working yet, because we are looking to settle on a community first before applying for jobs. My husband is a personal trainer and we are hoping to set up a home based personal training business out of our house. For me I have managed a health club for 12 years and also have office experience so hopefully I can find employment nearby related to that. The most important thing is finding a great / safe community to raise our family. If anyone has any feedback about Anthem schools I would love to hear it; I haven't been able to find alot of info about that community (crime / schools etc....) Thank you all for your help

Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Karma: unless discussing the far East Valley...........I doubt that Meth is a bigger issue than, say, central Phx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona