U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 AM

443 posts, read 2,000,762 times

Advertisements

How many of you in AZ have had a problem with these? I lived in Yuma for over three years and before we moved into our new house ( new development) we lived in a small, older rental until the house was built and we found two of them in that rental but they were really little, and curled up dead on the floor when I found them...other than that we NEVER found any at our new house. Are cockroaches more attraceted to older homes?
My mother in law lived in an older home in Phoenix and she would find them here and there, once I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and there was a huge one on the sink...I about passed out. But once she moved to a newer home in the Phoenix area she has not found any..

So are they more common in older homes? And is it true that if palm trees attract them, so if you have palms in your yard you may be attracting them?

Of all of AZ bugs..black widows..scorpians...etc.. Cockroaches freak me out the most, they are just do dang creepy!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM

253 posts, read 613,402 times
We get them sometimes. They are not all over though. At one school I went to they had a huge beetle problem one year, and a kricket problem the next. But it was entirely coincidental and they kept them out of the kitchen very effectively (it was still rather gross). Anyways, we've always had some sort of minor bug troubles in our house, but there are definitely things you can do to minimize that. I am no expert though, the best thing you can do is to call one. They will tell you what you should do and if they really bother you I would suggest calling an exterminator.

BTW, I also hate cockroaches I would much rather come across a black widow to be honest, cockroaches, just their coloring and movement is creepy. I would suggest to keep a shoe handy or just use a couple of disposable cups to carry it away in if you don't want that crunching sound when you squish it.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,159,386 times
I only had a problem with them when I was living in an old apartment building on a lake near metrocenter mall. They were the gross ones, about 2 inches long. Yuck! My bf had an apt their too, and found a 4 inch roach, that the grossest thing I have ever seen!!

We vowed to always live in the luxury apts from that moment on, and NEVER once had another problem, and we moved around a lot to apt to apt. I never thought it was a problem in the phx area, not until I came to these forums.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM

24 posts, read 104,186 times
We live in an older home in Mesa. We do not have a bug problem of any kind. Most cities are getting good about spraying the sewers for the roaches (those really big ones breed there). We do not have a pest control service come out and spray, my husband sprays inside and out twice a year and the problem is solved. The problem almost everyone does have is termites. We do have a service for that. They love the heat and can be found everywhere in the Phoenix area.

Valerie

Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 PM

202 posts, read 917,085 times
My home is absolutely infested with roaches.

j/k

Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,765,181 times
No problems to report here w/ us here in Fountain Hills! Thank God!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM

52 posts, read 199,893 times
You know what, I lived in Chandler and my apartment building was only about 4 years old and I had a terrible time with those nasty things. I dont think they have anything to do with Palm trees....but I have heard that scorpians do however breed in palm trees or live there or something. But I used this amazing bug spray and I believe it starts with an O, I sprayed the permiter of my apartment and along the baseborders every week for a while (only bc im paranoid) and it did the trick!! They hide in dark cool places, under sinks, bathrooms and refrigerators...but I found that they were coming in through my laundry room. But anyway, I used this spray and of course I would find a few dead ones afterwords but eventually it took care of the problem. I want to say the product was ortho something....maybe not...

Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 73,679 times
I've lived in AZ for 9 years and haven't seen any at all. I lived in FL for 20 years and they have LOTS of HUGE COCKROACHES!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM

20,005 posts, read 72,038,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsielea View Post
You know what, I lived in Chandler and my apartment building was only about 4 years old and I had a terrible time with those nasty things. I dont think they have anything to do with Palm trees....but I have heard that scorpians do however breed in palm trees or live there or something. But I used this amazing bug spray and I believe it starts with an O, I sprayed the permiter of my apartment and along the baseborders every week for a while (only bc im paranoid) and it did the trick!! They hide in dark cool places, under sinks, bathrooms and refrigerators...but I found that they were coming in through my laundry room. But anyway, I used this spray and of course I would find a few dead ones afterwords but eventually it took care of the problem. I want to say the product was ortho something....maybe not...
Scorpions may end up on palms, but they dont breed there per se, they breed whereever they feel like it. They definitely do not seek out palm trees to breed on, just thought Id share.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 14,479 times
Default try this it work's

you can get this at walmart for about $3.75.

made by green light

called, many purpose dust, ( come's out white )

I put it around the whole house, kill black widows, scorpians, Cockroaches, ants, plus it works for up to 8 months!!!.

p.s. if you can find some, by a whole case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona