Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 19,598 times

Advertisements

I travel all over the US for work, and I live in Ashfork AZ, actually I live Kaibab estates west, which most of the roads all county maintained, we have power and phone lines and soon we will have broadband from quest, So what if Ashfork's town is a ****e hole, I just got back from LaJolla CA, talk about a bigger **** hole, tons of snooty people,traffic,smog,crime, and ugly desert, if it was not for water brought in from eslsewhere LaJolla and San Diego would be a wasteland, Having to HAUL H2O to our house is not that big of deal.
Infact it is only 2 hrs to phx or vegas to get on a plane.
When I was working in Boston a couple of months ago it was common to find people driving up to 3 hrs to get to work(in the most congested traffic)(made me want to go postal).
So if Ashfork is not you're cup of tea, and you are the typicall fat american who is not self -reliant, and needs constant distractions from life, please do us a favor and don't move here.
If what you want,are movies,shopping, expensive 5-star hotels/clubs/restaurants,golfing. Move to Vegas or PHX.
Kingman sounds like a better fit- you're kind of soft/fat american town close to Vegas and California.
I love this place, the seasons are fantastic the people are generally nice(as long as you don't tread on thier property)(you may get shot).The soil in fantastic for growing vegi's(just add H2O).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 19,598 times
Hmmm, don't believe everything you hear, Ashfork is a small western town that once had the nicest Fred Harvey Train depots in the west, however it was torn down by the railroad, and the town has struggled to survive.
I moved out to Kaibab estates a few years ago, and really love it out here, we have power,phone(land lines) as well as cell phones, and county maintained roads(mostly).
We have satelite tv/internet, broadband may come in a couple of years through Quest.
As for H2O if you live out here, expect to either haul it, or have one of the companies haul it for you.
Personally I haul water myself, I have my rig set to haul around 1200 galons of water at time, I drive to town, pump water from the filling station, drive back home and and fill my home cistern, with a pump.
The entire process takes about an hour, fact of life we all have chores, and when you have to haul water you generally don't grow grass lawns.So if you compare chores-mowing a lawn verses hauling water what takes longer?
I work all over the US and have to fly to my jobs, so I drive to Phx or Vegas, I average 21/2 hrs to PHX and 3 for Vegas, my driveway to the airline gate.
It takes me an hour to Flagstaff or Prescott(driving) at the speed limit.
If you want distractions close by ie:movies/hotels/clubs/hospitals/restaurants, or airports, move somehwere else.
However if you want freedom from traffic,smog,crime,etc. I would recomend moving here.
I have lived in Australia, south east Asia, and many places in America, and call Ashfork home, sure the town is a hole, but if you live out where we do, you might look at it differently.
As for retirees(or young ones like us) this place has four nice seasons, plenty of forest trails to hike,climb, atv, hunt, ski,jeepin', fishing, mtn bike.Most of my neibors are retired and if one needs a hospital and it is a real emergency they will call in the helicopter(air-medics).
As for property values, this place never really was in a bubble, unlike most other American towns/cities,as for recent history, a home in PHX may have been inflated twice as much of real value, ie my best friend owns a home in Cave Creek they paid 500k for it before the boom, and during that time it was re-appraised at over 955k, of cousre like most Americans like took out a home equity loan, bought new cars, put in a custom pool,patio,etc.And now most of the homes in thier gated communtiy are selling for less 400k.
My property value has increased maybe 5%-20% during that same time. My home is not a investment(money vehicle) I have stocks/bonds and other investments that earn a better return.
It is my opinion that Ashfork may never really become a big bustling town, who cares there are plenty of other distractions out here, just not the ones most fat americans want(like fast food, malls, etc).
Just my opinion, if you don't like Ashfork don't move here.Just remember we can bash you're town just as easy.
Anthony

Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM

509 posts, read 1,688,822 times
good response . i too live in KEW . my house is on the market . when it sells i will move to Laredo . having lived here 15+ years i have seen just about everything . on evenngs in summer i sit on my back deck and enjoy no smog view all the way to Preskitt .
i haul my own water , built my own road by hauling cinders myself . i am happy here as can be .

Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,626 times
Wow, great information. Our property in Ash Fork is in escrow now and I am 38 years old and think out of the box and I would love to live off the grid. But if growth comes my way I will sell my property to someone like LordBalfor (teehee) for top dollar and buy acreage further out until I need to sell for top dollar again.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,306 times
We purchased 21 ACRES of land in Ash fork because we wanted a place to relax and have fun. I like the small town feel of the City. I plan on spending all my time watching elk, rabbits, and birds. Our kids love the place. There's bad and good in lots of things and Ash fork is fun recreational place.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
i have lived in Ash Fork area since 1993 . i find it amusing to read the many responses by individuals who have no knowldge of what they write of . the town does have piped in water , cable service and natural gas lines are here too . since i live 5 miles North of Ash Fork in a subdvion called Kaibab Estaes West and haul my own water . out here we have no sewers , no paved roads ,no street lights . law enforcment is by county Sherriff that is slow at times to respond . for that reason most of us carry firearms and have thm handy in our homes . for that reason the crime here is very minimal .
then there are times i look out the door and find cattle in my yard or on my deck . Arizona is "open range" state . that means if i don't want cattle on my property i have to put up a fence to keep them out .
if any iterested parties want to buy a house then have one for sale . reason for the sale is that i met a lady from Texas and plan to move there .

i am planning to build a house and move to the ash fork area.
are you able to answer any questions i may have re: crookton rd. area?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 AM

Crookton Road is 5 miles West on I-40 the area there is Juniper woods West . it has been few years since i was there so my info is dated . it is all dirt roads . no county maintenance as far as i know . not sure if it has power or solar . i have met a few folks fom there as we fill our water tanks and they all are nice folks .

Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 AM

22 posts, read 50,285 times
Default In love with Ashfork

Hi all, I found this board after I purchased some lots in KEW, north of Ash Fork. I would be very interested to hear about your experiences with building off-grid homes, and how enforced the building codes are in the county for this area. Has anyone built without a permit?

I have heard that people just make whatever they want, and if they don't have a septic system then the county doesn't care...or used to not care.

I bought my property to build several earthbag homes. I am experimenting with different types of construction, and power generation. I have been researching using a dehumidifier for plants and gray water, too, has anyone done this in this region? A community of like-minded people would be great, so feel free to message me.

I am concerned about the talk of tweekers robbing places while they are not in use. I may leave for months at a time, in the beginning, and would hate to see my work destroyed or messed up. I have guns, but would hate to use them on anything but animals. Has this improved in the last year, or is it still pretty bad?

And...how can one get flagstone for cheap from the mines? Do they have scrap for free?

Thanks, all!
On the far edge of KEW

Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM

far as i know to live off the grid would be in Juniperwoods across I-40 . in KEW we have enforcement of building codes . i only know of one guy that built without permits . because of that he was not permitted to hook up to power . when my house was built the thing was , no septic =no power . inpsctors do drive around or fly over for any out of norm activity and drive by to look over and my neighbor has been cited several times . so it is up to you .
i would hesitate to leave anything unattended anywhere around here for extended period of time . anything left unattended is considered fair game to them .
flagstone is cheap here . there are two stoneyards right by AA Ranch Road & Cumberland . you only need to stop in and tell them what and how much you want to buy . not sure of the price now . when i bought some a few years ago it worked out to about $100.00 a ton and a ton worked out to about a pallet . scrap used to sell for $5.00 a pickup , now i think they sell it to somebody who crushes it down for driveway or road rock . stop by either stone yard and talk to them , you will find they will work with you whatever needs you have .BTW, i live 3 miles West from the stone yards .

Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 AM

22 posts, read 50,285 times
Thanks, Zonie. Have you heard of anyone being forced to tear down structures, or lose their property to fines? If all they do is say you can't have county power, that's just fine by me....or do you mean power at all? That would suck if they enforced that kind of thing.

I would use the flagstone for building a fireplace, stacked and mortared. A ton would be plenty. If it is that cheap, the whole house will have it.

I don't see it being a huge issue, unless they just felt like tearing down the walls before I finished it. The building materials aren't even going to worth much, I just would hate to see vandals mess with it. I hope break ins are not a problem with built houses in KEW. I would like to travel some, or leave it over the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona