U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM

153 posts, read 362,623 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about a quick trip to AZ just for the purpose of photographing an abandoned ghost town. I may also use a local model as well. Can anyone tell me where the best abandoned ghost towns are located? Or perhaps the greatest concentration....you know bang for my buck on a quick trip.

I would be flying in so which ever city was closest would be best.

Also, safety. Is that a concern? I assume many of these towns are in remote locations.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,814,566 times
not trying to be a downer, but you may not find what you're hoping for here in Az.....the classic old "shutters banging in the wind" sort of ghost town isn't really here....most, not all, buildings were built with adobe instead of wood in the early days and so have quickly "melted" back into the ground....and ghost towns have been popular for decades and so have been vandalized a bit....

you'll have a lot of driving here...you may want to try the Pearce, Courtland, Gleeson trio south of the little town of Cochise and near Cochise Stronghold (see a map)...involves a lot of dirt road driving so be prepared...you may have luck even in Tombstone which is near these three, too.....Bisbee, though certainly NOT a ghost town, has lots of interesting buildings....Fairbank may be pretty good for you and is on public land near Tombstone near the San Pedro river....Dos Cabezas is a very sleepy little town near Willcox and has a few classic ghost town buildings and a few live residents who you may want to chat up before you start wandering around...Ruby is a very good "ghost town", but is on private property and a good long drive from anywhere - see if you can find out who to contact for that place...you may hear of Harshaw, Mowry, and Washington Camp - all near Patagonia....they are not worth the long dirt road drive as all have been discovered decades ago and are almost gone....Washington Camp is the best of these and requires high-clearance to drive there....Lochiel, on the border E of Nogales, is OK and is a long dirt road drive, too, and is near Washington Camp.....

probably forgetting a few....definitely check out if Google Images has pictures of these

see good maps for all these places and plan on many hours of driving

by far, the best ghost town I've ever seen is Bodie, CA, a state park....fantastic buildings and awesome photo ops....google it and see if there are pro photo restrictions at this state park

Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM

201 posts, read 428,260 times
Vulture is my favorite, just south of Wickenburg, no need for 4wd either.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,938,978 times
Tombstone in S/E AZ. . . that's the only place that ever gave me the creeps, and I love wandering around in old places. . . .

Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM

10,882 posts, read 18,942,634 times
Hint: It's not a ghost town if people are living there.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:02 AM

570 posts, read 1,630,389 times
Quote:
Hint: It's not a ghost town if people are living there.
That's called a Living Ghost Town. Like Jerome, Cleator, Crown King, etc.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM

643 posts, read 1,287,868 times
There's a lot that follow the train tracks between Maricopa and Yuma

Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 AM

20,868 posts, read 21,780,448 times
Might want to look thru this.

az ghost towns - Google Search

Old 11-30-2009, 02:50 PM

10,882 posts, read 18,942,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
That's called a Living Ghost Town. Like Jerome, Cleator, Crown King, etc.
Living Ghost Town? That's up there with jumbo shrimp, almost exactly and unbiased opinion.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,774,810 times
Ghost Towns of Arizona - Arizona ghost towns with history, pictures, and location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona