Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM

702 posts, read 3,153,267 times

Advertisements

Please tell me what life is like for a retired couple living in Payson? Too expensive for a couple living on SS and a modest pension? Weather info? Crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 AM

862 posts, read 2,622,491 times
Payson housing is on the high side. You should do a search and see what they have. I know that any major medical procedure and they are putting you on a helicopter to Phoenix or Flagstaff. Payson is REALLY hard to get to.

No interstate goes to it! All you have are state routes 87 & 260, both of which are windy and treacherous to drive in bad weather.

Payson will get MORE snow than say Prescott would. It will mostly melt in a short period of time but it will get cold and snowy at times. Just look at a map and you will see that Payson is in the middle of nowhere.

My advice would be Cottonwood or Camp Verde if you want GOOD medical, decent priced housing, easy access to Interstate 17. While they might not be as cool as Payson during the summer, they will not be as cold in the winter.

As far as crime. Payson, Cottonwood, Camp Verde all suffer, like most of northern AZ, from meth problems. This stuff is the plague. Meth is the MOST ADDICTIVE DRUG IN THE WORLD. Plain & simple. Once you try it, your brain will crave it for the rest of its life. That is why it is so hard to stop the epidemic. Anyways, just pull some FBI crime reports to see which area has less crime.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,325,860 times
Default High Housing Costs Wherever You Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettrix View Post
Payson housing is on the high side.

My advice would be Cottonwood or Camp Verde if you want GOOD medical, decent priced housing, easy access to Interstate 17. While they might not be as cool as Payson during the summer, they will not be as cold in the winter.
I was surprised to discover that Cottonwood housing has gotten even higher than Payson or Prescott I toured some model homes there a couple of weeks ago that prices started in the mid $300's for a 1600sf home with 1-car garage. I think Camp Verde is still a little cheaper (at least it was last year, anyway). Cottonwood does have a reputation for good medical care, and it's only about 20 minutes from Camp Verde. On the other hand, Payson is only about an hour's drive into Phoenix and Mayo Cllinic.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM

862 posts, read 2,622,491 times
Gretchen -

Actually Prescott has a good medical rep for a "small town". While not as good as Phoenix, for a small town, they have decent medical. Prescott has the best medical in the entire state of AZ as far as "small towns" are concerned.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 68,745 times
You'll be in like company. The number of old people in Payson is a bit depressing.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:35 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
You'll be in like company. The number of old people in Payson is a bit depressing.
What an odd thing to say. Why would older folks make a place depressing?

Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM

702 posts, read 3,153,267 times
I thought the same thing when I read this post. Weird comment.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Please tell me what life is like for a retired couple living in Payson? Too expensive for a couple living on SS and a modest pension? Weather info? Crime?
I retired a few years ago and would never consider Payson.

Granted, it is a great place to visit during the Summer but definitely a little too cold during the Winter plus a little too remote. I researched a number of small to medium sized towns in quite a few states and finally chose Tucson. My goal was a "not too big" city with ample amenities. After a dozen plus years, I am still convinced I made a great choice.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona