U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 31,928 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Delaware and are looking to move out West for a multitude of reasons.
I am hoping that we might be able to find somewhere that caters to our needs and likings... any suggestions after reading the following would be super helpful.

- We are young (mid twenties) and while we do not have children yet, they are likely in the near future. Good schools would be important.
- Since we're coming off a coastal state, I do love the water, & while I understand I won't get beaches in AZ, I'm looking for somewhere that might have a fairly close proximity to a beach (less then 5 hour drive time) or I suppose just somewhere to swim
- Here in Delaware we're close enough to hit some major cities like Philadelphoa and Baltimore, being so close to these allows us some great shopping. But we are by no means city dwellers, more then happy to commute in for what we need and then back out... but I don't want to be completely isolated/in the boonies
- Weather isn't a huge issue, although I'd prefer to be somewhere where the temperature is pretty constant, low humidity, and plenty warm (I'm ready to abandon these Winters here!!)
- Obviously housing affordability
- Lastly, I'll be graduating from nursing school soon, and my husband will be looking for a job in the airline/corporate pilot industry

I've got some places in mind, but I've completely open to suggestions, Any thrown my way would be great!!

Thanks so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM

572 posts, read 2,348,117 times
Check out Lake Havasu the housing is now somewhat reasonable and its not cold but it is hot and if you want the beach its here. As for jobs I would think you could get one as a RN in the $25-28 hr range but your husband will have a hard time finding a good paying job. I would say visit first in the SUMMER because its very hot and stays hot. Here is a website with some pictures of Lake Havasu http://www.newtohavasu.net/ (broken link)
I hope you find your place in the desert

Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 AM

57 posts, read 249,793 times
We moved to Havasu 2 years ago. It has some great qualities, but overall, we wish we hadn't moved here. The job market is almost nil, and because of that the economy hits smaller towns like these fairly hard.

If even thinking of this area, I HIGHLY recommend you come out and visit a week or so during one of the 120+ degree weeks,,,,,, that will test you on how hot is too hot

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM

I don't think the heat would bother me so much, I love it (we have ridiculous humiditiy here in DE during the summer months so not only is it hot but it's muggy and gross, that heat I don't enjoy so much LoL)
My husband on the other hand, we will difinitely have to get him out there to get a feel for it. He visited Utah this past summer and said 110 wasn't bad because its so dry. But we'll have to see.

I hear very mixed reviews about Havasu, a lot of comments about it being a party town, no jobs, declining housing market (still?)... I will definitely keep it on the list, but maybe might be checking out some places with a little more job/home security...?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,883,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsavage View Post
I don't think the heat would bother me so much, I love it (we have ridiculous humiditiy here in DE during the summer months so not only is it hot but it's muggy and gross, that heat I don't enjoy so much LoL)
My husband on the other hand, we will difinitely have to get him out there to get a feel for it. He visited Utah this past summer and said 110 wasn't bad because its so dry. But we'll have to see.

I hear very mixed reviews about Havasu, a lot of comments about it being a party town, no jobs, declining housing market (still?)... I will definitely keep it on the list, but maybe might be checking out some places with a little more job/home security...?
For your husband to find a job, it sounds to me like you are going to need to be in one of the metropolitan areas, Phoenix or Tucson. Lake Havasu does not sound like a good fit for you to me.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 AM

I was looking at Goodyear. I figured it was close enough to the big city and it seemed to have some good "reviews" if that what you'd like to call them.
But I just want to make sure that there are not other places that seem to be a better fit for us. I'm completely open to suggestions.
We're looking at getting another snow storm this weekend here.... Makes me dream more of Summers in Az everyday!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM

1,686 posts, read 3,938,946 times
You really need to make a trip out here...and then sorta figure out a price range vs how far to drive for work. As a future RN, your prospects for work are pretty good almost anywhere in AZ since we have such large retirement population as well as the senior snowbirds that come in every winter from colder parts.

For the hubby, we do have US Air based here in Tempe, but right now they are cutting back on pilots, not hiring. And there is some significant private jet/corporate/testing work out of Mesa-Gateway/Williams airport in East Mesa. But he is going to have a harder time in his field than you are, but my suspicion is that will be true anywhere.

I will offer this as a suggestion because of my experience, but there are many other options for you. I live in Casa Grande. Current full time population is about 50K, and in the winters balloons up to about 70K. We are 45 mins south of Sky Harbor airport, about an hour from Mesa-Gateway, BUT we are also only an hour north of Tucson so you have those options etc. There is a hospital here in town as well as many specialtly medical facilities (Heart institute etc..), so you will be able to find work here in town, or if you wanted to commute there are probably 15 hospitals within an hours drive in any direction with more being built.

But, whats nice about CG is the proximity BETWEEN Phoenix and Tucson, its location right on I 8 and I 10 - you can be at San Diego beaches in 4.5 hours and about the same for Rocky Point on the Sea of Cortez down in Baja. Housing is VERY affordable here....I reccomend renting first no matter where you choose, although houses here are soo cheap right now its hard to pass some of them up. But you can rent a 3 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood here for 800 a month or less.

We have MOST things (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Mimis, new movie theatres, Kolhls, etc), but if you want some of the "fancier" things you have to drive up into Phoenix. Our weather is the same as anywhere in the Phoenix area and DOES GET HOT...but today its 71 degrees....so pick your poison.

If you have any other questions post em.....but this is a possibility since you said you didnt really want to be in the urban core. Again, there are good choices in the Valley (Phoenix) but they all pretty much run together up there, whereas here once you get outside of city limits, its open desert for miles and miles, and its a little cheaper down here.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I feel like there has to be more out there then just these few cities that meet my criteria?...

Old 01-08-2010, 10:11 AM

35,344 posts, read 45,441,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsavage View Post
I was looking at Goodyear. I figured it was close enough to the big city and it seemed to have some good "reviews" if that what you'd like to call them.
But I just want to make sure that there are not other places that seem to be a better fit for us. I'm completely open to suggestions.
We're looking at getting another snow storm this weekend here.... Makes me dream more of Summers in Az everyday!
Goodyear is the big city. It's not like the east here where you have little towns strung out along state and county roads. Goodyear is a suburb of PHX, but it is not separate in any way (except maybe for the Estrella development which is about 6 miles from the nearest anything). It is physically connected and looks like any other suburb.

BTW, Phoenix metro is the only place that meets most of your criteria. Forget Havasu and just about every other smaller place in AZ except maybe Tucson. These places work best for the independently wealthy or retirees, not 20-something career people.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM

I guess I'm pretty much certain we'll end up somewhere "close" to Phoenix. I'm just not sure where to find information, or how to even start looking at the surrounding cities. Which is my best option: Goodyear? Surprise? Sun City? Litchfield park? Even Casa Grande? I've seen all of these names come up and I'm unsure of which area's best for me. I suppose it's hard basing it on opinions alone. We plan on coming out to visit, probably mid-May (as I'm off before summer semester starts). But I feel like I should have at least a good idea of where to start looking before we pick up and go to spend a week there.
In relation to Delaware, I understand having a suberb extension of the city. Here, you can be in "Wilmington" and not be in the downtown "city" setting, but rather the suberbs w/ less of an urban, highrise feel. Actually, suburbs of Wilmington are much like the rest of the cities around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona