U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
35,275 posts, read 45,377,323 times
Reputation: 24219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Contracts cannot be canceled at anytime. Unless of course you're a dead beat.
The contract has a Termination of Convenience clause that allows the state to unilaterally cancel at any time "for the good of the state". Maybe they fear they would have a hard time making the argument that a system that is bringing in millions of dollars of revenues, preventing accidents and saving lives is NOT "for the good of the state". But otherwise, yes, it can be cancelled. You can verify this on the internet in about 30 seconds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
 
259 posts, read 653,312 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The contract has a Termination of Convenience clause that allows the state to unilaterally cancel at any time "for the good of the state". Maybe they fear they would have a hard time making the argument that a system that is bringing in millions of dollars of revenues, preventing accidents and saving lives is NOT "for the good of the state". But otherwise, yes, it can be cancelled. You can verify this on the internet in about 30 seconds.
The Governor said she would cancel at the end of the contract. She is in charge so I will go along with what she says on the matter.
I have always been apposed to Governor Nappys big brother photo radar.

Thank goodness a far wiser and smarter Governor now sits in that office.

Last edited by Tanque Verde; 01-06-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
 
259 posts, read 653,312 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Come on people! Do you listen to yourselves - EVER???

You are GLOATING about beating a ticket - a ticket that YOU ACTUALLY DESERVED!

How about you trying doing something different for a change; How about OBEYING THE LAW???
Actually I've paid on two of those photo radar tickets in the last year while driving between here and Vegas.

I got one on hwy 74 near lake Pleasant and the other one just past Wickenburg.

I like to put the hammer down out on the open road away from high traffic areas like here in Phoenix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
 
9,092 posts, read 17,805,994 times
Reputation: 6940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichoptops View Post
I found out from some random source that if you actually drive the speed limit, the cameras don't bother you as much.
I wish you contact would talk to those random d'bags who keeps jarring their brakes everytime they get near one of these things when they are already 5mph under
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 AM
 
17,842 posts, read 39,847,284 times
Reputation: 10544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
The Governor said she would cancel at the end of the contract. She is in charge so I will go along with what she says on the matter.
I have always been apposed to Governor Nappys big brother photo radar.

Thank goodness a far wiser and smarter Governor now sits in that office.
As far as the photo radar, I could agree with you. In general, to say that Jan Brewer is "far wiser and smarter" given some of the stuff she's said and done, is certainly debatable. But, to stay on topic, cancelng the PR contract, I don't have a huge issue with. However, we better be prepared, when things get better, to put more officers out on the highways, though, to enforce what is, like it or not for all you speeders out there, the law.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
 
Location: occupied east coast
957 posts, read 2,241,746 times
Reputation: 2226
Simply a thought...

For those of you who cite that it is the "LAW", remember that approximately 25 years go the national limit was 55 mph.

That "law" got changed, so can this one.

IMHO, "laws" should reflect the will of the PEOPLE, not the legislators who ignore the PEOPLE.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 25,102,395 times
Reputation: 6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As far as the photo radar, I could agree with you. In general, to say that Jan Brewer is "far wiser and smarter" given some of the stuff she's said and done, is certainly debatable. But, to stay on topic, cancelng the PR contract, I don't have a huge issue with. However, we better be prepared, when things get better, to put more officers out on the highways, though, to enforce what is, like it or not for all you speeders out there, the law.
I disagree, there is already more than enough officers out there. Really, there is nothing wrong with speeding if it is done safely. If it is an clear open road it is ok. However, if you have someone speeding weaving in and out of cars that is another story. For example, I drove to Phoenix back in June of 2008 when the gas prices went sky high. There literally was almost no one on the highway. I frequently was going 100 mph when I was alone on the road. When I got near any traffic I of course slowed way down. I do not see why I should have to pay a fine to the state of Arizona for doing this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
 
17,842 posts, read 39,847,284 times
Reputation: 10544
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I disagree, there is already more than enough officers out there. Really, there is nothing wrong with speeding if it is done safely. If it is an clear open road it is ok. However, if you have someone speeding weaving in and out of cars that is another story. For example, I drove to Phoenix back in June of 2008 when the gas prices went sky high. There literally was almost no one on the highway. I frequently was going 100 mph when I was alone on the road. When I got near any traffic I of course slowed way down. I do not see why I should have to pay a fine to the state of Arizona for doing this.
You don't live here. There are NOT enough officers to cover the burgeoning miles of freeway. It's been in the news here before.

Why pay a fine, you ask? Because it's the law. Period.

Even Nevada has numerical speed limits on the highways now, correct? If not, then stay there and drive the highways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 25,102,395 times
Reputation: 6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You don't live here. There are NOT enough officers to cover the burgeoning miles of freeway. It's been in the news here before.

Why pay a fine, you ask? Because it's the law. Period.

Even Nevada has numerical speed limits on the highways now, correct? If not, then stay there and drive the highways.
Just because it is the law, it doesn't make it right. I may not live in Arizona, but I have lived there for 95% of my life. I also frequently go from Vegas to Phoenix so I am aware of the highway situation. As far as driving on Nevada highways, forget it. They are even worse as in setting up tax collecting speed traps. I got pulled over TWICE for speeding going from Vegas to Reno, so no thank you. I refuse to drive on Nevada's highways period.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
 
17,842 posts, read 39,847,284 times
Reputation: 10544
The laws are what they are. No one should get to pick and choose which public safety and health laws (or other laws, for that matter) one "likes" or think are "right" and will follow, and those which don't pass muster in the individual's judgment and therefore won't be followed.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top