Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Yes, they can have the drivers license suspended across state lines.
Wrong!! They can not even suspend your license if you live in Arizona if you ignore the ticket. If you are out of state, there is absolutely nothing they can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Look it up. Arizona does not go after resident who don’t pay their tickets because state law does not allow suspension or wage garnishment to collect. But other states like California and New York do, so the vendors who run these programs aggressively collect from out of staters who get a ticket in Arizona depending on the state‘s laws where the driver is licensed. If you are not an Arizona Licensed Driver and your state allows it, the vendors will come after you. I would not listen to a scofflaw unless they were paying the ticket for you.

In doing a little research I found that some states will not let you renew your registration until all tickets are paid. Others (like San Francisco) will boot the car after just one ticket and can tow at will if you have outstanding tickets in any city served by the private vendor who contracts with the city. I am sure they have similar agreements with other cities.

Remember the question from Ponderosa is about enforcement out of state, so it depends on where he/she got the ticket, who the vendor is, and where he/she is from. Some companies like the vendor in Scottsdale, RedFlex, an Australian company, will not only chase you down, but turn the cost of collection over to a collection agency and it goes on your credit report.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
steve - the problem is that unless you agree to it, what you receive is not a ticket

so regardless of what your state of residence says, they cannot garnish wages, suspend your license, etc for an infraction in another state that isn't "on the books"

so if you are in NY, CA or any of those other states and the citations is not properly executed there is no ticket, no collectable fine, etc

and to build off that AZ will aggressively try to collect on tickets that were properly executed - when you hear the #s about unpaid tickets, they really aren't tickets at all - they're the notices of a potential ticket, if you agree to it

what you have is a high % of the people disregarding these notices and not agreeing to waive their rights in order to help the state issue a ticket against them

Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Come on people! Do you listen to yourselves - EVER???

You are GLOATING about beating a ticket - a ticket that YOU ACTUALLY DESERVED!

How about you trying doing something different for a change; How about OBEYING THE LAW???

Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Come on people! Do you listen to yourselves - EVER???

You are GLOATING about beating a ticket - a ticket that YOU ACTUALLY DESERVED!

How about you trying doing something different for a change; How about OBEYING THE LAW???
Greatday,

I have never advocated breaking the law here, but it has been said and proved that photo radar is unconstitutional. Since you are a lawyer yourself, I can not understand how you could even possibly defend this? I guess if you go a little faster than the speed limit, you deserve to pay Arizona an automated extra tax? C'mon now, we all know this is not right. If Arizona wants this extra tax, they at least need to make a fair effort for it. To this day, I have paid EVERY ticket I have been issued by a police officer. I just do not feel a "big brother" computerized DPS vehicle has the right to take my money, and that is why I have ignored every single photo radar ticket in Arizona that I have received.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

259 posts, read 705,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Great job everyone. The fact that most people are ignoring and not paying the photo radar tickets is now costing the state more to run them than they are taking in. I am glad everyone stood up for their rights. Because of this, the cameras will most likely be coming down this year. I just found this article today on aol news:

Arizona May Abandon Speed Cameras on Highways - NYTimes.com
Arizona's governor has already said, quite sometime ago, she intends to have the cameras removed when the contract up.
You know the things that are made of paper & ink that bind two or more parties together on a certain course over a predetermined period of time.

When the contract expires the cameras come down.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Oh and do agree with Greatday. Obey traffic laws at all times and most important of all, drive safely. The life you save could very well be mine.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Arizona's governor has already said, quite sometime ago, she intends to have the cameras removed when the contract up.
You know the things that are made of paper & ink that bind two or more parties together on a certain course over a predetermined period of time.

When the contract expires the cameras come down.
The contracts can be cancelled at any time. For those who think this is a "tax", ask yourself when was the last time you saw a tax go away? Dream on.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The contracts can be cancelled at any time. For those who think this is a "tax", ask yourself when was the last time you saw a tax go away? Dream on.
Contracts cannot be canceled at anytime. Unless of course you're a dead beat.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM

57 posts, read 278,877 times
I found out from some random source that if you actually drive the speed limit, the cameras don't bother you as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona