Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

My heart goes out to ALL the Route 66 towns. They are a part of our history and I enjoy visiting them.

Having said that, many of them are pretty downtrodden and NOT places I'd ever want to live. Ash Fork is a prime example. Seligman is not too bad. Oatman is kind of in the middle. Far more run down than Seligman, it has far more charm than Ash Fork. Kingman of course is another story. Because of it's location it continues to do pretty well.

Still, I have to say - that despite not exactly being a Route 66 nut, I could easily see myself sliding over the abyss.

And so I ask people: if you are in the area, take the time - even if it's just a few minutes to pull off the freeway and drive straight through town - to visit these quirky little places. They are a part of your country's history and not too long ago were vibrant an alive - but now all too often are either on life support or worse. So take a few moments to pass through - or maybe more than a few moments if you see something that strikes your fancy. Who knows, maybe you'll spot a hidden gem - something that triggers a long lost memory of the old Route 66 TV show, or the more recent Cars movie, or maybe something more personal from a childhood trip across the country - some long buried recollection of someplace similar you passed through on a family vacation when you were a kid. You never know.

In any event, I love the Mother Road - warts and all.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,164 times
Colorado, go there.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
LordBalfor - nice commentary on old Route 66 and it's former thrive-ster towns and what's happening to them now. I look forward this summer to heading to Arizona in the summer and seeing some more of our nation's historical places in relation to this cool old highway. SW Kansas is a great starting off spot to see a lot of Route 66. Gonna be a ball! I just picked up one of those wooden Hobby Lobby artpieces - it says 'Main Street of Route 66'. It's going up on one of my den walls - the same den I'm in right now typing this message out to y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona