Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 24,449 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NC, MD, CO & CA. All of course because of work obviously. We currently live in CA but are relocated to AZ in 2010. Can't wait. We're moving for all the reason's EJK mentioned above and then some. Cost of living is a big reason. We want to have a home, decent job, vacations and all that WITHOUT being house poor There have been negatives in every location. It's all what you make of it. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 42,886 times
I am moving for all the reasons too! Definitly to get away fromt he high cost of living in NH and the Huge amount of layoffs and unemployment in this state. Plus I want to live in the DESERT!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM

932 posts, read 1,962,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinNH View Post
I am moving for all the reasons too! Definitly to get away fromt he high cost of living in NH and the Huge amount of layoffs and unemployment in this state. Plus I want to live in the DESERT!
Don't be fooled with the Arizona is a desert myth. Almost half the state is forested. The largest forest being in the Northern part and the smaller being more towards the Mexico border in the Southeast. Only central and southwest parts of the state are true deserts. There is a high desert more towards the 4 corners.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Quote:
OK, I can see that you are following a stereotype on a few things and need to be corrected:

1. Not all of Arizona is desert. The area around Flagstaff or Sedona is actually very similar to Colorado--moisture, cooler temps than much of the state, SNOW, mountains (Humphreys Peak, N of Flagstaff is 12,000 feet in elevation and the highest point in the state) and greener.

2. AZ has had more job layoffs per-capita in this recession than any other state. Yes, its true. Most jobs in AZ are tied to low paying service industries that dont bring in much of a paycheck or future. Heck, Walmart is the largest employer in the state.

3. The availability of social services here is awful. It may be "easy" to find a "job here" (compared to many states, or at least it used to be), but God help you if you lose it and need unemployment benefits. AZ ranks 49th in unemployment benefits, only ranking better than I think Mississippi.

4. AZ ranks dead last--50th--in public education in graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher pay, and money spent per-capita on students. EDUCATION IS NOT A PRIORITY HERE.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post

4. AZ ranks dead last--50th--in public education in graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher pay, and money spent per-capita on students. EDUCATION IS NOT A PRIORITY HERE.
Krock, since you keep ranting about ACT/SAT scores, take a look at this:

State-by-state SAT and ACT scores | Public Agenda

This study doesn't back you up. I'm sure there are different studies by different groups for different test years. I've seen others before that also don't support you, but this is the first one that popped up in a search I just did. Post the link to the one that says AZ is last.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM

20 posts, read 42,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
OK, I can see that you are following a stereotype on a few things and need to be corrected:

1. Not all of Arizona is desert. The area around Flagstaff or Sedona is actually very similar to Colorado--moisture, cooler temps than much of the state, SNOW, mountains (Humphreys Peak, N of Flagstaff is 12,000 feet in elevation and the highest point in the state) and greener.

2. AZ has had more job layoffs per-capita in this recession than any other state. Yes, its true. Most jobs in AZ are tied to low paying service industries that dont bring in much of a paycheck or future. Heck, Walmart is the largest employer in the state.

3. The availability of social services here is awful. It may be "easy" to find a "job here" (compared to many states, or at least it used to be), but God help you if you lose it and need unemployment benefits. AZ ranks 49th in unemployment benefits, only ranking better than I think Mississippi.

Yeah but the land is for the most part. flat and AZ has some desert to see. As for education..I don't have children and can't have them..SOOO I don't care about the education part of it. I just want the warm weather and the heat and the desert.. where ever in AZ it may be. Woods are good. then I don't have to visit NH just to see them. so your telling me AZ is Perfect! A little bit of Both. I am not worried about being layed off. You can be layed off anywhere you are in the united states. Plus I work in healthcare and rarely do they layoff. Healthcare is a HUDGE demand ALL over the US.
I appreciate your comments and "setting" me straight about AZ.
I will say that I feel the same way about NH as you do AZ. We don't have the greatest schools and we DEFINITLY have Alot of people unemployed here also.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Yeah but the land is for the most part. flat and AZ has some desert to see. As for education..I don't have children and can't have them..SOOO I don't care about the education part of it. I just want the warm weather and the heat and the desert.. where ever in AZ it may be. Woods are good. then I don't have to visit NH just to see them. so your telling me AZ is Perfect! A little bit of Both. I am not worried about being layed off. You can be layed off anywhere you are in the united states. Plus I work in healthcare and rarely do they layoff. Healthcare is a HUDGE demand ALL over the US.
I appreciate your comments and "setting" me straight about AZ.
I will say that I feel the same way about NH as you do AZ. We don't have the greatest schools and we DEFINITLY have Alot of people unemployed here also.
Uh huh..............you are speaking to the choir here.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:51 AM

62 posts, read 133,210 times
I would love to be in Arizona. I visit often and I think the state is absolutely beautiful.
I live in Michigan and right now everyone is sick and its so cold here. The endless weeks of
no sun and the bitter, biting cold is depressing. I have an aunt who moved to Scottsdale about
15 years ago and loves it. Our friends live in Cave Creek and have resided there for about 6 years and love it-especially when its winter here!!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonni0827 View Post
I would love to be in Arizona. I visit often and I think the state is absolutely beautiful.
I live in Michigan and right now everyone is sick and its so cold here. The endless weeks of
no sun and the bitter, biting cold is depressing. I have an aunt who moved to Scottsdale about
15 years ago and loves it. Our friends live in Cave Creek and have resided there for about 6 years and love it-especially when its winter here!!
If at all possible: try to wait till you have your affairs in order before moving here............our economy is still bad.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If at all possible: try to wait till you have your affairs in order before moving here............our economy is still bad.
Hi ArizonaBear,

Yes, I agree people who want to move anywhere now should have a job lined up before they do so. As I said before, AZ would be a consideration of mine if I wasn't living in CA. Sure PHX summers are hot but they don't last the whole year and they are usually dry. The only thing is I am not a heat lover but I think I could tolerate heat if I had no choice. The places I've thought of moving to are either too expensive or their economies are bad. See my post in one of the threads I wrote in today in the PHX forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona