Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,497,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I lived in Flag for a while. AZ has some very nice places and yes it is hot. I now live in MO and the summers here are much hotter than AZ because you sweat more due to the humidity. AZ has a dry, direct heat however. I moved mainly because the housing market is UNREAL. Also because, I missed living in an area with deep green grass, tumbling hills, tall thick trees. My yard in AZ was rock. My property value doubled when I moved from when I got it. I wonder what it is worth now!
Summers in MO are not hotter than AZ. They might be humid, but theyre not even close to the temps nor longevity of AZ's summers.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh I don't want to hear that. I keep mulling a move to SW MO or NE OK so I can have close-by water recreation. I think you are right though. When I visit, this desert Zonie is downright miserable in your heat. Who would of thought one would want to move/stay in SW Arizona for more comfortable summers?
Dont forget, you get breaks from it though, unlike AZ's summers. Besides, high humidity keeps the skin/hair/sinuses moisturized. The only bad thing is it feels sticky. SW MO is wonderful. Its quiet, green, hilly/mountainous, relaxing. Ever been to the Branson area? If you like Branson, youll love SW MO.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM

647 posts, read 3,344,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Last week was extremely warm for this time of year. And if she couldnt handle 50% humidity as a high and 20-30% as low, then Id like to see her someplace REAL humid. "Swamp"? And guess what? It didnt have to be in the middle of summer, because our temps last week were about as hot as it gets on average in July, our hottest month. If she cant handle 80's and moderate humidity, how does she tolerate 120 degrees and bone dry?
It's very rarely 120 degrees here so that's obviously not an issue.

The way she handles 80's with humidity is that she doesn't handle it, which was exactly my point - maybe you missed that. In much the same way that you and others don't like the AZ dry heat, there are MANY people who can't stand heat PLUS humidity. I HATE humidty on hot days. It's unbearable to me and yes, it's like a swamp - your sweat doesn't evaporate like it does here - it just sits on your skin and makes you feel like you just got out of the pool. It's gross.

As for 80's being average summer temps in Chicago - I haven't researched that so not sure how accurate it is. However, the times I've been to Chicago in the summer, it was much hotter and more humid then that. And I recall a few summers ago when the heat in Chicago was so bad that many people died. Yes, I know that happens here too, but you're claiming that it doesn't get really hot in Chicago. You can say that Chicago is overall balmy and comfortable as much as you want but that hasn't been my experience. Not only do you have to deal with terrible humidity and heat in the summer, but you also have terrible winters with loads of snow. So yes, I'll take dry heat summers over Chicago weather any day. Now if we're talkin pizza or baseball, Chicago wins hands down - go Cubbies!!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

I never said Chicago doesnt get hot. It gets real hot here, but only for a few days a year. To see temps above 100 is not normal. Summers average 75-85 degrees, but yes, a few days every year we get highs in the 90s with 60% humidity and that raises the heat index to over 100 degrees. The good thing is, this isnt Florida or Georgia or Houston, and it only lasts a few days. Its already June and I still havent had to put the A/C on yet, how about you? As for winters? Theyre not as bad as you think either. We can have anywhere between 9" to 40" of snow over 4 months, which is hardly bad. Super cold-weather snaps are like super humid-weather snaps, theyre definitely there, but they dont last. This aint Florida nor is it northern Minnesota: its comfortably in the middle. Some good, some bad, just like AZ. Oh, I also like dry heat. ;-) I just dont like prolonged periods of sunshine and brutal heat, its taxing, just like a long, cold winter is.

Here is some Chicago weather data for tomorrow (Ill show you the curveball weather patterns here in the Chicagoland area). Note the humidity levels for that day, then the next --link is below. Note the average high and the record highs, etc, too:
Chicago, Illinois (60601) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

This is the hottest day this year (coming up on Thursday):
Chicago, Illinois (60601) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Here is a summary page:
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Chicago, Illinois, United States of America

Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM

27,392 posts, read 27,442,715 times
Its getting expensive now though, in many areas, just like many other places.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM

74 posts, read 267,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
If you could move to AZ, what would be your reason.

Would you be moving to escape the high cost of living in other areas?

Would you move for the scenery?

Would you move for family or other similar reason?

Move you move to escape cold weather?

If you already live in Arizona and love it there, why?

I would like to hear reasons why people would want to move to Arizona, often there are very negative posts from people who hate the state or want to leave and it can get depressing.
Well I'm moving to Arizona becasue of school. But I'm not gonna be staying long. Who wants to tell me what Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert are like?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:06 PM

338 posts, read 1,626,967 times
Quote:
Dont forget, you get breaks from it though, unlike AZ's summers. Besides, high humidity keeps the skin/hair/sinuses moisturized. The only bad thing is it feels sticky. SW MO is wonderful. Its quiet, green, hilly/mountainous, relaxing. Ever been to the Branson area? If you like Branson, youll love SW MO.
You are so right about the sinuses! My nose is always so dry and I have horrible sinus problems out here in this dry climate. I still love it here but that is a problem.

Missouri is beautiful. I agree. We stayed in Missouri on the way to and back from Chicago and we fell in love with the scenery and the weather. It felt a lot nicer than Indiana. The people were really nice too. Missouri gets a thumbs up from me!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
You are so right about the sinuses! My nose is always so dry and I have horrible sinus problems out here in this dry climate. I still love it here but that is a problem.

Missouri is beautiful. I agree. We stayed in Missouri on the way to and back from Chicago and we fell in love with the scenery and the weather. It felt a lot nicer than Indiana. The people were really nice too. Missouri gets a thumbs up from me!
As soon as I get into NM on the way to AZ, its like my lips get instantly dry, my skin feels rough and my hair gets all "weak" feeling. LOL The worst is when you get out of a pool and sit in the sun. 2 minutes later youre dry as a bone and you look like an alligator. LOL Then you get all blazin hot again and have to jump back in to cool off. Its a viscious cycle I tell ya!

And youre right about MO, I love SW Missouri, its beautiful and as peaceful as it gets.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,519,313 times
Quote:
Summers in MO are not hotter than AZ. They might be humid, but theyre not even close to the temps nor longevity of AZ's summers.
ANd this makes them hotter. Live there and then move here, then you can have an opinion.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 26,104,963 times
I'd move in a AZ minute. The question is where. I know and I'm not telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona