Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,913,739 times

Advertisements

Its not that I am unhappy where I am, but I love the southwest. I don't think I will ever live there full time b/c I love having the ocean nearby, but part time yes. That was in our plans but we had to delay a bit for various reasons. I wish we had more time to explore AZ, I have mainly been to Scottsdale/Carefree/Phoenix. With only 2 weeks of vacation time annually we always go overseas! Why can't we have 4 weeks vacation like the Europeans!? I guess one day I would really love to explore the state.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,722,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
If you could move to AZ, what would be your reason.

Would you be moving to escape the high cost of living in other areas?

Would you move for the scenery?

Would you move for family or other similar reason?

Move you move to escape cold weather?

If you already live in Arizona and love it there, why?

I would like to hear reasons why people would want to move to Arizona, often there are very negative posts from people who hate the state or want to leave and it can get depressing.
I wouldn't move to Arizona--but it's not because I don't like that state, it's because I'm content where I am now. My room mate is from Arizona--lived in the Phoenix area (which comprises a number of cities, she tells me), and cited the weather and traffic as two of the things she disliked most. Still, she's contemplating returning there to be closer to her daughter and grandchild.

Never having been there, I couldn't speak to either one of those reasons--but isn't there a way to search the state and sort by population? Somewhere like Phoenix metro would surely have a large population. What if I looked for places that had less than 5,000, were in the mountains, and had a Home Depot?

Cross-checking those, I'm sure I could find a place that was suitable, were I inclined to leave the area.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM

269 posts, read 1,259,366 times
I love Arizona if had I known how great it was to live here I would have moved from Florida many years ago

Old 10-01-2009, 04:38 PM

269 posts, read 1,259,366 times
2 Best things about AZ is 1. that the sun is always shining and 2. the people here are so nice.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,185,357 times
Quote:

I would like to hear reasons why people would want to move to Arizona, often there are very negative posts from people who hate the state or want to leave and it can get depressing.
I lived in Arizona for many years growing up. I loved the climate. I would consider moving back if my personal preferences had not changed dramatically over the years. I am very much into the homesteading lifestyle right now and I'm afraid that the water issues that Arizona seem to have would not be conducive to continuing that path.

*But* if that lifestyle were not important to me, yes, I would move back definitely, more for the weather/climate than anything. There is no place on earth as wonderful in February as the desert.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,738,809 times
Originally from the East Coast, I didn't buy in California back in the 1970s so I can't afford to buy there now. I lived in the West Valley for a decade but it was toooooooooo HOT!!! So I moved to Sierra Vista at 4650ft. Absolutely Gorgeous.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:48 PM

354 posts, read 1,283,585 times
We came to Arizona nearly 20 years ago strictly for an employment opportunity. Being from a part of the country with old tree covered mountains, creeks, rivers and lakes I was not much impressed by the country hereabouts. I love the outdoors and quickly came to appreciate there was never a time of year we couldn't head out for a hiking or camping trip and never had to endure the dead of winter when it is dark when you go to work and dark when you leave. I have to say Arizona is an acquired taste and feel fortunate to live here. The desert isn't lifeless and the National Forests at higher elevations allow you an opportunities to escape to the land of tall ponderosa's and snow in season.

Curiously, I have toyed with the idea of moving north to a place with four seasons. But friends and family might make that just a lengthy fall visit each year.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
Smile yes i would looking to move there in near future after school, I think it would be nice and warm there for me!

yes because i want to get away from the cold and I think it would be nice to leave in a new state where it is warm!
Quote:

Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,019 times
I lived in Mesa and Paradise Valley, in the mid to late 80's, when there were basically only 3 highways, I-17, the Superstition freeway, and I-10 was not even finished yet, Gilbert had 5000 people, and Chandler had one high school!!! I have been to the Phoenix area a couple of times to visit since then, but I don't really know anything about living there these days. I have heard that the crime rate is really bad now, but how does the crime rate compare to living in most of the cities of the Midwest? We live in Dayton, OH now, a metropolitan area population of right around a million, and have been considering Tucson, because of the much smaller size, compared to Phoenix. If anyone out there is knowledgeable about comparing the various cities in Az, it would be much appreciated. I have a great job that I can do from my home office, so I can move almost anywhere. We are interested in moving to AZ for the climate, and would like to find an area with good schools, as we still have 4 kids in school, but don't necessarily want to have to spend 500,000 for a house. Thoughts?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 PM

39,117 posts, read 51,361,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodylives View Post
I lived in Mesa and Paradise Valley, in the mid to late 80's, when there were basically only 3 highways, I-17, the Superstition freeway, and I-10 was not even finished yet, Gilbert had 5000 people, and Chandler had one high school!!! I have been to the Phoenix area a couple of times to visit since then, but I don't really know anything about living there these days. I have heard that the crime rate is really bad now, but how does the crime rate compare to living in most of the cities of the Midwest? We live in Dayton, OH now, a metropolitan area population of right around a million, and have been considering Tucson, because of the much smaller size, compared to Phoenix. If anyone out there is knowledgeable about comparing the various cities in Az, it would be much appreciated. I have a great job that I can do from my home office, so I can move almost anywhere. We are interested in moving to AZ for the climate, and would like to find an area with good schools, as we still have 4 kids in school, but don't necessarily want to have to spend 500,000 for a house. Thoughts?
One web source that rates violent crime from 1 to 10 with 1 being best rates

Dayton OH as 8
Phoenix AZ as 6
Chandler AZ (since you mention it) as 4
Gilbert AZ as 3
Tucson AZ as 7

So all of these AZ cities have a lower violent crime index than where you are living now. Frankly I don't get where this Phoenix crime myth is coming from. I have lived here from before you were here and all the time after that. I doubt you would even notice any change in crime rate or feel less safe in the metro area from back then - I certainly don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona