Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM

196 posts, read 262,797 times

Advertisements

I am moving in about 2 months and want a smooth transaction. I am moving from KY and wanted to know the steps to take. I know there is an emissions test (or something), no idea about how to get insurance or how that works in the city. fyi, I will be moving to PHX.
I just do not want to be driving all over the state to get things done legally. This is my first BIG move. I have moved in my small town but that does not compare to a bigger city. its a whole different ballgame. plus AZ gets things done, KY just sends u from place to place and makes u waste a day or two when it could have been stopped at the first person you went to...catch my drift???

Hope everyone is staying cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
buy insurance ( you can print your own "proof of insurance" online with many companies. ),
Go to myazcar.com for info on smog testing - it even has wait times posted,
Then (my advice) look for a "third party" DMV location in your neighborhood.
They charge an extra couple of bucks, but there's rarely a line -
Turn in your paperwork & pay the fees.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
buy insurance ( you can print your own "proof of insurance" online with many companies. ),
Go to myazcar.com for info on smog testing - it even has wait times posted,
Then (my advice) look for a "third party" DMV location in your neighborhood.
They charge an extra couple of bucks, but there's rarely a line -
Turn in your paperwork & pay the fees.
and thats it! that seems too easy. but i would hope az is way better than ky by far. i want no complications at all. i plan to exercise all my time with hunting down a job. do u know any sites where i can get car ins- i have no idea what is out there. i have to change bc i have ky farm bureau and i know that isnt out there.

thanks for the help!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
I just went thru this today.
Yup, that's about all there is. My insurance is Progressive. I have no tickets or accidents and my insurance here, surprisingly didn't go up but just a couple of dollars a year. Being from a small town in Oregon, I'd have thought it would have gone up dramatically but alas, I was wrong. lol.
Go to the DMV. Those 'third party" DMV places can't do drivers licenses. Just go down and get it all done at once.
The drivers license only takes a few minutes so while your there, throw in getting your new plates and stickies and be done with it.
I just smogged my old truck this morning about 10:30 am, went to the DMV office in Apache Junction, got my plates, tags, title and registration and I was outa there in time for lunch with my mother.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I just went thru this today.
Yup, that's about all there is. My insurance is Progressive. I have no tickets or accidents and my insurance here, surprisingly didn't go up but just a couple of dollars a year. Being from a small town in Oregon, I'd have thought it would have gone up dramatically but alas, I was wrong. lol.
Go to the DMV. Those 'third party" DMV places can't do drivers licenses. Just go down and get it all done at once.
The drivers license only takes a few minutes so while your there, throw in getting your new plates and stickies and be done with it.
I just smogged my old truck this morning about 10:30 am, went to the DMV office in Apache Junction, got my plates, tags, title and registration and I was outa there in time for lunch with my mother.
Thanks so much for the advice. Just what i needed. You have my hopes very high(think i worded that wrong) but i'm sure you know. I so hope that I run into a smooth transaction. But you went to DMV in AJ and it was all done in one place??? just making sure i did understand that right.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM

15 posts, read 21,256 times
Just transfer your insurance (I have State Farm, and my insurance actually went down moving from Ohio to Arizona)

Also, if you're moving to the east valley, the state DMV off mckellips rd (between Tempe/Scottsdale/Phoenix) never has a line and i'm always in and out there in no time. It's in a little hard to find spot, but it's like gold after being to another state DMV (Ohio or the downtown PHX one especially haha)

the smog test is easy as can be, and i did mine off Washington St just outside of Tempe and it took me maybe 15min, they plugged a computer into my car and three mins later i got a 2yr certificate saying it was fine.

Overall it's an easy process and does not take long at all.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
Thanks so much for the advice. Just what i needed. You have my hopes very high(think i worded that wrong) but i'm sure you know. I so hope that I run into a smooth transaction. But you went to DMV in AJ and it was all done in one place??? just making sure i did understand that right.
It's actually called the MVD but it's the same thing.
Yes, do your drivers license, car license, plates, tags and transfer the title all in one place. It's cheap too unless you have a newer car. I have an older Ford Ranger to pull my boat. I was about 15 minutes getting the smog certificate, I drove a few blocks to the MVD and I got the new license plate, transfered the title to an Arizona title, new tags for the plate and registration to show the cops and you're done.
In my case, my smog test was $27.75 and all the MVD stuff was about $32.00 or so. Doesn't get much cheaper or easier than that. The worst part of the day was listening to some guys that set up a booth outside the MVD trying to get me to change banks.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 AM

Default thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
It's actually called the MVD but it's the same thing.
Yes, do your drivers license, car license, plates, tags and transfer the title all in one place. It's cheap too unless you have a newer car. I have an older Ford Ranger to pull my boat. I was about 15 minutes getting the smog certificate, I drove a few blocks to the MVD and I got the new license plate, transfered the title to an Arizona title, new tags for the plate and registration to show the cops and you're done.
In my case, my smog test was $27.75 and all the MVD stuff was about $32.00 or so. Doesn't get much cheaper or easier than that. The worst part of the day was listening to some guys that set up a booth outside the MVD trying to get me to change banks.
Now that is funny, guys trying to get u to change banks. hahaha. thanks for the info. great help.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad162 View Post
Just transfer your insurance (I have State Farm, and my insurance actually went down moving from Ohio to Arizona)

Also, if you're moving to the east valley, the state DMV off mckellips rd (between Tempe/Scottsdale/Phoenix) never has a line and i'm always in and out there in no time. It's in a little hard to find spot, but it's like gold after being to another state DMV (Ohio or the downtown PHX one especially haha)

the smog test is easy as can be, and i did mine off Washington St just outside of Tempe and it took me maybe 15min, they plugged a computer into my car and three mins later i got a 2yr certificate saying it was fine.

Overall it's an easy process and does not take long at all.
my insurance is ky farm bureau not state farm. two different companies. i got them confused all the time. LOL. i think i will be moving in south phx. usually the harder spots to find are the most awesome-ist. lol.
i like a 2yr certificate, not every yr. hahaha. thanks for the help.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
I will add that my experience getting plates, registration, title, dl switched over was surprisingly pleasant. All done in one place, very organized even though the place was packed. I think I was out in about an hour for everything. And one of the best things- your dl is good until you turn 65!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona