Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,922 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Peoria AZ and have lived here for 10 years, I love the fact that I am 5 mins from everything but hubby thinks we should move, we are thinking about Surprise AZ as our real estate person suggested we can get a whole lot more house to fit our needs for less the money we would spend in Peoria. I have a 6 year old and a 14 year old both doing excellent in School - I was concerned about the schools in Surprise. I was reading in Greatschools that surprise isn't rated that high so that is a concern for me. I have no information on Surprise. I would love to hear the good and bad about Surprise.
Thank you for your time
Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 02:05 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Default Mine closed and left problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonapeach View Post
Hi,
Hope you made it to San Manuel by now. Let us know how you like it so far. I would be interrested to find out about the town.
This town was just in the news. The mines have closed and this leaves the residents paying exorbitant sewer fees that have gone up ten times and are expected to go much higher. They showed 100 people at a meeting protesting the change. Apparently the mine owners had paid for a lot in the town and now the residents have to pick up the tab. All I know about that is what I have seen on the news. I have driven through there several times and there isn't much there. With the mine closed there won't be any jobs.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:39 PM

15 posts, read 67,465 times
My daughter was offered a job at the airport in Phoenix. Also in Las Vegas and Little Rock. She has to make up her mind soon. All things considered, what is the best family place? Least crime? Least traffic?
thanks
Need answer ASAP

Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 PM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Kind of depends on where she live now and what kind of person she is. If you are bible-belt Christian and want to live where others think like you do, or you need rain, seasons, and green things to look at, then it's Little Rock. If you're a party-loving pagan, Las Vegas is the ticket. Las Vegas and Phoenix look a lot alike in the suburbs. Las Vegas has lots to do in town and nothing to do outside of town. Phoenix has nothing to do in town (in comparison to Las Vegas), and some of the most beautiful country on earth to explore outside of town. Las Vegas house prices are higher than Phoenix and are going to crash big time according to many. Phoenix prices are less out of line with the economy but still high. Phoenix has a better university, more rain - a good thing, and warmer winters (and summers). It's a lot greener around Phoenix than Las Vegas but that's relative. AZ taxes are not too bad, but I think they are less in NV. For families, its probably a toss up and will depend on where you live. Traffic is terrible in both places but there are nice areas close to the airport in Phoenix. Crime is probably a toss-up, but there are things going on in Las Vegas that would be crimes in Phoenix . It depends so much on just where in the cities you live.

I say Las Vegas is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I've been on the forums looking for info on AR, MO, OK area and I get the sense that its a lot of rednecks and bigots in those places along with the nice people. I don't think I could live like that. Phoenix.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:32 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've been on the forums looking for info on AR, MO, OK area and I get the sense that its a lot of rednecks and bigots in those places along with the nice people. I don't think I could live like that. Phoenix.
Unfortunately, you are pretty much dead right. I don't know as much about Missouri but haven't enjoyed the times I've been there, esp. St. Louis where rudeness must be a prerequisite for residency.

I have known some great people in OK and ARK, but yes, there are predominantly rednecks.

I also think what you said about Phoenix, Vegas and Little Rock is pretty right on.

As for family life, I'd definitely pick Little Rock, I think. Gotta be cheaper, got plentiful water supplies and is pretty in its way, moreso than what Vegas or Phoenix have to offer. (I don't like living IN the desert--it can be pretty too, but I don't want to live there again.)

Little Rock is probably a little safer than either Vegas or Phoenix too. And without question less traffic.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Kind of depends on where she live now and what kind of person she is. If you are bible-belt Christian and want to live where others think like you do, or you need rain, seasons, and green things to look at, then it's Little Rock. If you're a party-loving pagan, Las Vegas is the ticket. Las Vegas and Phoenix look a lot alike in the suburbs. Las Vegas has lots to do in town and nothing to do outside of town. Phoenix has nothing to do in town (in comparison to Las Vegas), and some of the most beautiful country on earth to explore outside of town. Las Vegas house prices are higher than Phoenix and are going to crash big time according to many. Phoenix prices are less out of line with the economy but still high. Phoenix has a better university, more rain - a good thing, and warmer winters (and summers). It's a lot greener around Phoenix than Las Vegas but that's relative. AZ taxes are not too bad, but I think they are less in NV. For families, its probably a toss up and will depend on where you live. Traffic is terrible in both places but there are nice areas close to the airport in Phoenix. Crime is probably a toss-up, but there are things going on in Las Vegas that would be crimes in Phoenix . It depends so much on just where in the cities you live.

I say Las Vegas is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I've been on the forums looking for info on AR, MO, OK area and I get the sense that its a lot of rednecks and bigots in those places along with the nice people. I don't think I could live like that. Phoenix.

Vegas no way in heck! It looks like crap you can't compare that to our suburbs here,Boulder City is nice though.The schools are even worse than here. The worst year of my life in Vegas.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Well, we've ruled out Vegas. Mostly for the reasons stated. Someone asked what type of people we are. We are fundamental Christians. I saw a website that had Little Rock and Phoenix one above the other on the list for crimes and both were BAD! What we like about Phoenix is the weather. Little Rock has more rain than Michigan where we're from. Also, our budget is small. More in line with Little Rock (that's what makes Little Rock a contender). Our budget for housing is $125,000. So, all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:45 PM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Better make it Little Rock. You will find nothing - I mean not even a dump in the bad part of town - for $125,000 in Phoenix or nearby. We haven't had prices like that in 10 years. The cheapest stuff starts around $180,000. Typical is about $300K but it's easy to spend $450.000 with the "bubble".

Old 10-02-2006, 06:01 PM

That surprises me just a little. Not much as I know the prices are high, but on realtor.com I saw at least 10 condos priced up to $100,000 and one house in Peoria for $105,000. Are these bad areas? This really helps. My mom really wants us to go to Phoenix as she wants to go with us, but we have to do what we have to do.
thanks

Old 10-02-2006, 06:42 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tori View Post
That surprises me just a little. Not much as I know the prices are high, but on realtor.com I saw at least 10 condos priced up to $100,000 and one house in Peoria for $105,000. Are these bad areas? This really helps. My mom really wants us to go to Phoenix as she wants to go with us, but we have to do what we have to do.
thanks
105,000 in Peoria are mobile homes, I just checked.

Moderator cut: use private message please

Last edited by Marka; 10-03-2006 at 01:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona