U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
135 posts, read 503,996 times
Reputation: 71

Advertisements

Hi,
Where might I find info for boarding my horse in Kingman, AZ? Or
perhaps a 'reasonably priced' (pet-friendly, also) rental (mobile home or conventional housing considered) where I might be able to keep him at home with me (which is my personal preference)?

I was in Kingman on Saturday, a day trip, and checked out some neighborhoods, but didn't spend a lot of time...I'd need an area with access to riding without having to trailer.

I did find the 'feed store' on Stockton Hill and plan to make another trip in the next few weeks to do some more looking and to stop into the feed store for whatever info they can offer.

Again, I'm considering relocating to Kingman from Phoenix Metro area.
It's a given....a job needs to be secured before I can make this happen. I need to consider the needs of the horse too, he is after all a part of my family. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Kingman - Anaconda
1,552 posts, read 5,995,500 times
Reputation: 732
I would say the feed store is a good jumping off point, next to it is a road that runs east explore that section. It will be between Northern and Gordon Stockton Hill and Bank larger lots lots of horses and critters in there. Just might be something available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Fife-Bell View Post
Hi,
Where might I find info for boarding my horse in Kingman, AZ? Or
perhaps a 'reasonably priced' (pet-friendly, also) rental (mobile home or conventional housing considered) where I might be able to keep him at home with me (which is my personal preference)?

I was in Kingman on Saturday, a day trip, and checked out some neighborhoods, but didn't spend a lot of time...I'd need an area with access to riding without having to trailer.

I did find the 'feed store' on Stockton Hill and plan to make another trip in the next few weeks to do some more looking and to stop into the feed store for whatever info they can offer.

Again, I'm considering relocating to Kingman from Phoenix Metro area.
It's a given....a job needs to be secured before I can make this happen. I need to consider the needs of the horse too, he is after all a part of my family. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
135 posts, read 503,996 times
Reputation: 71
Thanks for the input Rambrush....anyone else with info will be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
 
11,647 posts, read 19,549,751 times
Reputation: 12325
I'm not a horse person, otherwise I'd help. There are tons of properties just outside the city where you could keep a horse, or find somebody who would rent you space for one. I'm sure I could find you something, but I'd have to go through the same steps as you. Check want ads, talk to the tack shops (there's more than one here), etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
135 posts, read 503,996 times
Reputation: 71
Thanks for the input Kdog. Am planning another day trip in the next few weeks to see more of the area. We didn't quite have enough time this last weekend as we went up to the 'bridge project'. What an awesome sight! Anyway, time to make a move out of Phoenix and see where I land. Kingman would be my first choice, but have to have work, so might take some time before 'we' (the horse, kitties, and I ) get there. I'll definitely keep CD posted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 AM
 
86 posts, read 129,576 times
Reputation: 149
Default Horses

There is this place, sort of large ranch looking thing; It's a large white house at the intersection of Cherum Rd. & Calle Castano. This is just outside Kingman a short distance. It has all appearances of having a couple horses, a couple chickens, maybe the odd goat or two... you get the idea. If you strolled up to their door asking about putting up your horse there, they (and others in the area with similiar ranch sort of places) would likely to be happy to accommodate you! I have never talked to the people that live there or seen much of any sort of activity other than a water truck pulling into there though.

There are lots of open areas to ride horses in local to there. It's dirt roads up in there, along with lots of nice open places and terrain to ride (or go about with off-road vehicles). Finding a place to put up a horse or two is likely easy enough in this area and the people that would do it for you are likely happy to make a buck out of it.

I have seen people on horses in this area when I have been driving through. I am not a "horse" person apparently... long ago when I was in grade school in Phoenix about 11 years old or so, there was this girl Stephanie who had a horse at the local Harrelston stables and 43rd Ave. and Dunlap (which is long since gone, no longer there). Anyway, she offered a few of us to go with her to ride her horse one day. We go, a small group of us and she is petting her horse and talking to it and happy to see it and all--- "Wow! What a cool, friendly horse", I was thinking as it gingerly allowed her to mount it and go riding about. I mean the horse practically kneeled down to allow her to get on it!

She asked if I would like to ride the horse and I jumped at the idea of it. The horse was OBVIOUSLY not as receptive to me getting on it I noticed... not three seconds later her sweet, docile and friendly horse turned into a wild bucking untamed bronco and threw me off for about 10 feet through the air. I hit the ground hard but that was not the worst of it as her friendly, loving beast circled around to stomp over me a bit to help get his point across! hahahaha The horse simply did not want anyone riding it except for her! I didn't get hurt badly or anything (kids can be quite tough and resilient) but it was quite an experience.

Last edited by GavinC; 10-03-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
135 posts, read 503,996 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
There is this place, sort of large ranch looking thing; It's a large white house at the intersection of Cherum Rd. & Calle Castano. This is just outside Kingman a short distance. It has all appearances of having a couple horses, a couple chickens, maybe the odd goat or two... you get the idea. If you strolled up to their door asking about putting up your horse there, they (and others in the area with similiar ranch sort of places) would likely to be happy to accommodate you! I have never talked to the people that live there or seen much of any sort of activity other than a water truck pulling into there though.

There are lots of open areas to ride horses in local to there. It's dirt roads up in there, along with lots of nice open places and terrain to ride (or go about with off-road vehicles). Finding a place to put up a horse or two is likely easy enough in this area and the people that would do it for you are likely happy to make a buck out of it.

I have seen people on horses in this area when I have been driving through. I am not a "horse" person apparently... long ago when I was in grade school in Phoenix about 11 years old or so, there was this girl Stephanie who had a horse at the local Harrelston stables and 43rd Ave. and Dunlap (which is long since gone, no longer there). Anyway, she offered a few of us to go with her to ride her horse one day. We go, a small group of us and she is petting her horse and talking to it and happy to see it and all--- "Wow! What a cool, friendly horse", I was thinking as it gingerly allowed her to mount it and go riding about. I mean the horse practically kneeled down to allow her to get on it!

She asked if I would like to ride the horse and I jumped at the idea of it. The horse was OBVIOUSLY not as receptive to me getting on it I noticed... not three seconds later her sweet, docile and friendly horse turned into a wild bucking untamed bronco and threw me off for about 10 feet through the air. I hit the ground hard but that was not the worst of it as her friendly, loving beast circled around to stomp over me a bit to help get his point across! hahahaha The horse simply did not want anyone riding it except for her! I didn't get hurt badly or anything (kids can be quite tough and resilient) but it was quite an experience.

GavinC, I'm really sorry you had such an experience with horses when you were younger. Some just never get over things like that and unfortunately, horses know when their human rider is scared and possibly inexperienced... 'nuf said on this issue.

Thanks for the input on boarding and riding in the Kingman area. I've had to put any relocation plans on the shelf for the time being but will stash the info for future use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 AM
 
86 posts, read 129,576 times
Reputation: 149
Default KDog is a liar!

KDog is being modest as he actually knows a whole lot about the "lay of the land". Even if he doesn't specifically know horses, he knows the general area and could be considered a local expert if you read his posts. I have a piece of dirt there but live in New Jersey, even though I grew up in Phoenix. I am a "stranger in a strange land" so to speak that only passes through once in a great while when visiting from the East coast and doing a road trip from Phoenix to Vegas. I only know little bits and pieces based on my limited knowledge.

I grew up in Phoenix, joined the Navy at 18 and never came back other than to visit relatives. I will never live in AZ again unless that fault line kicks in and California falls off into the ocean, providing me an ocean to work at! I came here (to this site) to make determinations on holding onto (undeveloped) property there or hocking it off right away. I drive through Kingman once a year or so, spend the day poking around and come to the hard realization that although I like the desert there is no place to park my (not a small) sailboat!

I have poured over his (KDog's) and others posts who are actual locals that know everything about everything in Kingman to help give me an idea of what my best alternatives may be with regard to Kingman. There are lots of horses there! At least I know that much as I have seen them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
 
11,647 posts, read 19,549,751 times
Reputation: 12325
Hey, thanks for the kind words, GavinC. Funny, since I wrote that post back in June, I now have a daughter taking horse back riding lessons. So now we're in the horse community it seems.

So you're a sailor? I've done a bit of sailing myself when I lived back in the SF Bay area. Dunno if your boat is too big to be truckable. But the Colorado River lakes of Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu are pretty darn nice. We have friends who sail a 20-something foot sailboat on Lake Mead. I'm sure yours twice that size though. I would look seriously at Lake Powell which is one of the most scenic places in the country and that lake is enormous.

BTW, if you need someone to keep an eye on your property from time to time, let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
135 posts, read 503,996 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hey, thanks for the kind words, GavinC. Funny, since I wrote that post back in June, I now have a daughter taking horse back riding lessons. So now we're in the horse community it seems.

So you're a sailor? I've done a bit of sailing myself when I lived back in the SF Bay area. Dunno if your boat is too big to be truckable. But the Colorado River lakes of Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu are pretty darn nice. We have friends who sail a 20-something foot sailboat on Lake Mead. I'm sure yours twice that size though. I would look seriously at Lake Powell which is one of the most scenic places in the country and that lake is enormous.

BTW, if you need someone to keep an eye on your property from time to time, let me know.
Hey Kdog,
Congrats on your daughter taking horseback riding lessons...and welcome to the people who know something about horses genre, laugh! Like I told Gavin, I've had to put my plans for that area on the shelf for the time being...maybe next spring I will revive them again when it starts to get hot in Phoenix again, lol!

For now, thanks you guys for giving me insight into some areas for horseback riding and maybe a place to live where I can keep him with out paying boarding costs..It's worth thinking about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top