Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM

45 posts, read 98,578 times

Advertisements

Was thinking of retiring around the Mena area in a few years (3 or 5?).
I've been in the air conditioning trade for now 37 years and have run my own hvac business now for 20 of those years. I would like to supply service and repairs to all types of air conditioners and heating systems (no installations - getting to old for the lifting). I would be moving in the county with a few acres and work out of a shop there. Nothing big, just have a nice bunch of customers as I have now and supplement for retirement.
I live in a small town now and like the personal touch instead of the large city hustle. I like peace and quiet and the relaxed PR from the same folks.
I can design systems from ManJ to ManD ducting on new or existing homes. I'm most educated in heat pumps and gas furnace systems. I've worked on systems 40 tons on down to a window a/c, though I plan to just stay residential as I retire.
I'm glad Mena is dry cause I don't drink..LOL.

What chance, if any would a new business like this be able to survive or get started. I'd surely work with the present hvac contractors if a system needed installing and even assist in some troubleshooting if needed. *In my small area, we all work together and support each other- strange but true.
Think I'd have a chance?

There is one other thing. I have a large shop and I weld some, build furniture, play guitar, bass, piano, drums and record my own music, I fish, hike, camp, and build things like a real stagecoach 1/2 working scale I sold to a circus, garden, and love star gazing. (I keep pretty busy).
I'm 55 years young and growing.

The wife is a Pharmaceutical Tech and also works at a home giving out Meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
I lived in Mena a very long time ago and still have family there. I don't know about the potential for HVAC but will check on it and get back to you. Otherwise, the Mena area will meet all your other wants/needs.

Just being nosey, but have you bought property, or shopping? Which side of town?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I lived in Mena a very long time ago and still have family there. I don't know about the potential for HVAC but will check on it and get back to you. Otherwise, the Mena area will meet all your other wants/needs.

Just being nosey, but have you bought property, or shopping? Which side of town?
Wife - I didn't mention that Mena has a good hospital and two nursing homes.
HVAC - My contact is out of touch at this time but I'll chase him down and, hopefully, get his views on your possibilities there.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM

There are several areas of Mena that look interesting and great looking. Off of 88E looks nice toward cherry hill. South of Mena looks interesting. In fact, most of the area is nice as far as the pictures from the Real Estate offerings, google earth and such.
Other than that, I would make a trip up there and spend a few days driving around to get the feel. It's when it "feels" right is what I go by, then I check around to make sure the area is inhabitable.

I appreciate any time you take to finding out what the locals say.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wconell View Post
There are several areas of Mena that look interesting and great looking. Off of 88E looks nice toward cherry hill. South of Mena looks interesting. In fact, most of the area is nice as far as the pictures from the Real Estate offerings, google earth and such.
Other than that, I would make a trip up there and spend a few days driving around to get the feel. It's when it "feels" right is what I go by, then I check around to make sure the area is inhabitable.

I appreciate any time you take to finding out what the locals say.
If circumstances permitted, we would be living in Mena today. 88E will put you in the Ouachita River valley. South of 88 will get you to the river and north of it will get you closer to the mountains. 8E will get you on the south side of the river valley and farther from the mountains. 375 South will get you to the mountains sooner as will 8W.

The contact I'm trying to chase down lives near Ink (88E) and owns a farm there. Driving, looking, and feeling is the only way. As soon as I find out anything about potential for HVAC I'll let you know.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM

I just remembered there is an old "Mena" Thread you may post on. I don't know if anyone reads it anymore but you may give it a try while you are waiting on me.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM

I finally heard from my contact and he said there are five HVAC people in Mena and only one will work on milk/soda/fast food type refrigeration equipment and he charges an arm and leg for that. He thinks an honest, hard working, reasonable priced person would do O.K. there. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I finally heard from my contact and he said there are five HVAC people in Mena and only one will work on milk/soda/fast food type refrigeration equipment and he charges an arm and leg for that. He thinks an honest, hard working, reasonable priced person would do O.K. there. Good luck.

I can't say thank you enough. This gives me a good outlook.
Of course I always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst, so I'll be optimistic on any account.
I do have old friends who live near ink. Been trying to contact them- their old letter with the address is somewhere in one of my old boxes around here- I'll find it....
Thanks again. walt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: