U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,438,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy23 View Post
that was great!!! Im looking for a nice town in AR to move to from calif. and I surely wont be moving their!! thanks for your brutal honesty! those cops sound scary too! good luck to you! Im thinking about hot springs
Fort Smith police officers now have to wear cameras

Police Head Cameras Capture Action, Evidence - CBS Evening News - CBS News
Rate this post positively

Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,576 times
My 9 yr old granddaughter was molested repeatedly by the babysitters husband in Ft.Smith, AR. He admitted on camera to the detectives for over 4 hrs in the interrogation how this happened , and he was happy they had finally come and stopped it... because he did not know how to do it. This man was a 62 yr old working at Baldor in Ft. Smith, Ar. It went to trial... in 09 ,found not guilty. The two detectives did not read the memorandum rights to the pathetic thing that did this.
All evidence of his admission was thrown out.
How long has memorandum been around? How can two professional Detectives forget to read Memorandum rights ? Memorandum is basic law. You can see it several times a night if you watch Cops...
These pitiful , pathetic duo should be shoveling munera in a cow pasture for a living , not enforcing law. That's Ft. Smith, Ar for ya. Pathetic ignorant & worthless. I'm in Ca. The welfare capital of the US. So jobs are plentiful here... no one works ...they are all on welfare.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 PM

11,819 posts, read 9,739,177 times
Okay, I live elsewhere - by several states - but can comment on that mysterious "historic site" in downtown Fort Smith. That's the eponymous fort, dating back to ante bellum days. Take a tour; learn something of FS's history, which is complex and colorful.

Located on the Arkansas River and being next to what used to be Indian (Choctaw, in particular)Territory, Fort Smith was a jumping-off place during the Civil War, and changed hands numerous times due to its strategic importance. Battles fought nearby included Massard Prairie and Backbone Mountain, also known as Devil's Backbone. Both armies took local civilians' crops, produce, and animals for themselves, offering IOUs instead of payment and leaving little for local families. Later during the war years, murderous bushwhackers infested Sebastian County to the point that civilians were offered shelter (by the Union Army then occupying the fort) within the fort's walls.

My farming, school-teaching, story-telling, musical (!) ancestors were among them - with a son in each of the opposing armies, they were suspect by both Union and Confederate sympathizers, and civilians were shot by marauders for less back then. So they left their farm at the base of Backbone Mountain, where my then 17- and 14-year-old great-uncles had helped evacuate the wounded and bury the dead after the battle on September 1, 1863, and went to the fort for protection during the winter of 1864-65. Eventually they were able to return home and repair their war-damaged property, but not until after the war's end.

Later came "Hanging Judge" Parker,who had his own methods for dealing with bad guys.

So before you diss the old fort, learn something about its history and background. Having not visited Fort Smith for a few years, I can't comment on the fort's current condition, but I do know that the National Park Service is suffering major budget cuts and many sites in many places are in need of additional staff and attention. However, volunteers at such sites are quite welcome, if you'd like to offer your time and skills.

It might help you feel better about life in Fort Smith.

Oh, yes, most places located along rivers include flood plains. As the Arkansas River runs beside Fort Smith, I'd imagine those low willow-filled fields I remember seeing along the river just past the bridge from over in Van Buren are just that. That's probably why nothing seemed to be built there...

Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM

11,819 posts, read 9,739,177 times
Twila, that's terrible. BTW, it's the "Miranda" rights that should have been read, not memorandum. Named for a famous court case involving a perpetrator with the surname Miranda. By whatever name, for the police to fail a child this way is beyond belief, and to let this criminal go is to further endanger other children.

My best to your granddaughter. I hope she's received counseling to help her move past the inexcusable thing which happened to her. Her parents might want to consult a good lawyer experienced in children's issues to see if they could press civil charges against the creep who molested her...

Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM

369 posts, read 710,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjarhead View Post
I want you to know just a little about me before I begin. I am a 34 year old honorably discharged US Marine originally from Cabot, Arkansas. I moved to Conway, Arkansas before enlisting in the military and lived in several cities in Arkansas and Missouri before ending up here in Fort Smith. I have a very wonderful girlfriend and I am a Christian.

Ya know I've seen some rants on the innerwebs but this one was epic

Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Twila, that's terrible. BTW, it's the "Miranda" rights that should have been read, not memorandum. Named for a famous court case involving a perpetrator with the surname Miranda. By whatever name, for the police to fail a child this way is beyond belief, and to let this criminal go is to further endanger other children.

My best to your granddaughter. I hope she's received counseling to help her move past the inexcusable thing which happened to her. Her parents might want to consult a good lawyer experienced in children's issues to see if they could press civil charges against the creep who molested her...
I was about to say the same thing, Miranda rights and they have been around for what? 25 or more years. I can't believe any cop would neglect to read them to a suspect..How sad. Nita

Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,685,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was about to say the same thing, Miranda rights and they have been around for what? 25 or more years. I can't believe any cop would neglect to read them to a suspect..How sad. Nita
Memorandum rights, Nita.

Yep......gotta read them to the "perp".

"You have the right to cable TV..............You have the right to sing the blues........"

Wow...glad I don't have to read those anymore.

Seriously, I have heard these same type of accusations hundreds of times, and my reply is generally, "Get me a court transcript, I *really* would like to see this".

No one has ever provided a transcript, which has prompted me on a few occasions to go get my own copy, and...shucks...nobody wants to read the parts I highlight.

"Somebody made that up!!!! That never happened!!!!"

Oh...I forgot...transcripts are fabricated also.

Cluelessness happens in some departments, as does corruption. It's on the news on a regular basis.

Traffic accidents happen also, but that doesn't mean that the majority of drivers are idiots that should have their driver's license taken away and immediately lynched.

In the complex maze of procedure and narrow parameters in an investigation, it is so easy to sit back and say, "Idiots, they should have known ever change to investigation procedure caused by every district decision in the U.S. within 24 hours after the decision is made, and before it is appealed.

The scope of Miranda has been narrowed greatly to allow a wider avenue for questioning in a criminal case.

However, since the OP of that post knows precisely when Miranda gets invoked, the law enforcement community, I'm sure, sits breathlessly awaiting the citation.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Memorandum rights, Nita.

Yep......gotta read them to the "perp".

"You have the right to cable TV..............You have the right to sing the blues........"

Wow...glad I don't have to read those anymore.

Seriously, I have heard these same type of accusations hundreds of times, and my reply is generally, "Get me a court transcript, I *really* would like to see this".

No one has ever provided a transcript, which has prompted me on a few occasions to go get my own copy, and...shucks...nobody wants to read the parts I highlight.

"Somebody made that up!!!! That never happened!!!!"

Oh...I forgot...transcripts are fabricated also.

Cluelessness happens in some departments, as does corruption. It's on the news on a regular basis.

Traffic accidents happen also, but that doesn't mean that the majority of drivers are idiots that should have their driver's license taken away and immediately lynched.

In the complex maze of procedure and narrow parameters in an investigation, it is so easy to sit back and say, "Idiots, they should have known ever change to investigation procedure caused by every district decision in the U.S. within 24 hours after the decision is made, and before it is appealed.

The scope of Miranda has been narrowed greatly to allow a wider avenue for questioning in a criminal case.

However, since the OP of that post knows precisely when Miranda gets invoked, the law enforcement community, I'm sure, sits breathlessly awaiting the citation.
Had my doubts as well, just didn't want to say he had a wild imagination, so thought I would just make a statement about the Miranda versus whatever rights. Let's now see if he comes back to challenge any of us?

Nita

Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,438,518 times
Well I'll admit to driving 5 miles over the limit before but otherwise I don't worry about stuff like that.

If anyone has any questions about the current real world Fort Smith I'll probably be around.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,441 times
Your Post on Fort Smith was hilarious. I've just taken a position there and expect to stay for 1 to 2 years. You've got me scared now!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas