Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 41,417 times

Advertisements

We have been searching online for 1 year for a place to retire to in Arkansas. Rogers area was first choice but home prices and what we are looking for just don't get it.
We absolutely love older vintage homes and fell in love (online) with Batesville. Lots of history and old homes. Are we crazy? Is this little town as pretty in person as it is on the internet? Home prices are better also. We just can't seem to find that "great old house" that we've been looking for. Seems weird since the town is full of them. Can sombody give us an "insider's view" of Batesville. Good place to live?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,456 times
Batesville is nothing like Rogers. I would describe Batesville as a sleepy little town with no growth. It has some beauty (White River that runs through it, for example) but also has some poorly maintained areas. Rogers on the other hand, is a booming town in a mountainous area of the state that has less obvious poverty. I would choose Batesville if all I cared about was low cost of living and going fishing. If you enjoy shopping or eating out, you will have to travel at least an hour an half to Little Rock or Jonesboro.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM

We really liked Rogers area. Lots to offer. I think we liked the lure of Batesville because of all the old homes and the laid back life style. Where else in the state could a person go and find great old homes, quiet living, good overall weather and be within decent drive time of good shopping/dining and entertainment? Im just stumped as to where I should be looking. Arkansas is such a gorgeous state.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiat View Post
We have been searching online for 1 year for a place to retire to in Arkansas. Rogers area was first choice but home prices and what we are looking for just don't get it.
We absolutely love older vintage homes and fell in love (online) with Batesville. Lots of history and old homes. Are we crazy? Is this little town as pretty in person as it is on the internet? Home prices are better also. We just can't seem to find that "great old house" that we've been looking for. Seems weird since the town is full of them. Can sombody give us an "insider's view" of Batesville. Good place to live?

Thank you!
I agree with JoycMarr but I wonder why you are looking at north Arkansas, and you didn't say what else you want in addition to an old home. Batesville, like most other communities, has "trashy" areas as well as well maintained areas and if you are looking for a quite, slow paced community, Batesville would be one to consider. There are many communities (of varying size) in the state with old homes that will range from "fixer upers" to fully restored. I can relate to your love of older vintage homes because I took a 1920s Craftsman, restored and up-dated it, and got it on the National Register. It was a lobour of love. If you will add more details of what you are looking for I'm sure there will be lots of advice posted.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times
Quote:
We really liked Rogers area. Lots to offer. I think we liked the lure of Batesville because of all the old homes and the laid back life style. Where else in the state could a person go and find great old homes, quiet living, good overall weather and be within decent drive time of good shopping/dining and entertainment? Im just stumped as to where I should be looking. Arkansas is such a gorgeous state.
O.K. you wrote this while I was writing my other post so I now see more of your "wants". I cannot argue about Rogers and Batesville, but I see Rogers as a "boom town" which I personally do not like. I don't know if you prefer mountains but if you do you may also look in the Ouachita Mountains around Hot Springs and commuting distance from there, or if mountains are not important you may look at Ft Smith and commuting distance around there. Lots of old homes in those areas and, again, there are different quality areas in each. I'm not trying to change your mind about Rogers or Batesville, just giving you other options to think about.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,018 times
Greenwood is a sleepy town about the size of Batesville and is about 10 minutes from Fort Smith. Fort Smith is not exactly a big city but it's growing. Alma Arkansas would be another one, close to Fort Smith but also pretty close to Fayettville. Maybe 15 minutes to Fort Smith and 30-40 minutes to Fayettville but I'm just guesstamating.
There are tons of sleepy towns all over Arkansas why only look at Batesville? Other people could probably give you more towns to look at.
It gets hot and humid all over Arkansas in the summer but if you can stand that the weather is pretty mild everywhere in the state.

Edit: ArkansasSlim made the two above posts while I wrote this, appreciate the Fort Smith recommendation.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks Arkansas Slim and you too Friendly Feller. God knows how much I have dreamed of owning a large old Craftsman house. We just love those!! In the Rogers-Fayetteville area we have looked until we're blue in the face and if you do find a vintage home...it's a small fortune. That's why I started looking in smaller communities. The wife wants to have good shopping available and I need the music scene since I play. It's not that we want to be hermits....we just don't wanna be right in LR or Ft. Smith. The area around Harrison is pretty and scenic but then again...it's in the middle of nowhere. I love the input back from you folks...it helps a lot. Im a disabled Vietnam vet and as such Arkansas is pretty kind to us in regards to some perks. No other state treats vets like that. I started looking in SW missouri too cuz it's nice there and Springfield is a good town for shopping but we'd just rather be in Arkansas. I wish I could hear somebody yell out which small town they love the best. Keep the ideas coming...we really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
I made another post about Batesville recently if you want to scratch around.

I live ~30 miles north of Batesville and am there very often, currently about 3-4 times a week.

I like Batesville. It is scenic, it's the second oldest city in Arkansas, so it's historic.

If you like *very* well maintained older homes, with mature Magnolia trees and southern charm, take a stroll down Main St. in the historic section. A lot of the houses have plaques in front dating them.

There are beautiful views from the hills surrounding Batesville, and a coffee shop/diner that sits atop a bluff on the south side that has a view that'll make you forget you came to eat.

There's plenty of restaurants, and "private clubs" in Batesville, and I find the shopping more than adequate. If one does not find the particular item they want, and do not want to go online, Jonesboro is not that far away, and makes a great day trip.

I get my serious medical care at White River Medical Center there, and all of my specialized Drs. are right around the complex. I recently had some surgery and an overnight stay, and could not find a thing to complain about. I got a follow-up call a couple of days later asking what could be improved.

Even if one did not think of relocating to Batesville, it's a great place to spend a day.

Not all of the treasures are obvious, so a little poking around and asking before you go is helpful.

BTW, you might want to stay out of the antique shops....or take a moving van along.

Don't ask me how I know.

"Dad...!! Is that the Beverly Hillbillies??"

Old 12-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Rogmar....tell me more. What town do you live in? We found a house on main street in Batesville that just took my breath away!! Awesome old place. We just really get all warm and fuzzy over those old homes. It's even priced within our budget but will need some work. Im a woodworker and need to find a place that sells hardwoods....know any? My wife loves to sew and needs a good fabric store. I thought I saw online that there is a Home Depot in Batesville. Is that true? We're pretty much "stay at home" folks so I think the slower type of town might just suit us. Im 61 and still like to play my drums so I might be looking for some guys who want to play classic rock and roll. Hope they're out there. Any more input is sure appreciated.

Roger

Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Rogmar....tell me more. What town do you live in? We found a house on main street in Batesville that just took my breath away!! Awesome old place. We just really get all warm and fuzzy over those old homes. It's even priced within our budget but will need some work. Im a woodworker and need to find a place that sells hardwoods....know any? My wife loves to sew and needs a good fabric store. I thought I saw online that there is a Home Depot in Batesville. Is that true? We're pretty much "stay at home" folks so I think the slower type of town might just suit us. Im 61 and still like to play my drums so I might be looking for some guys who want to play classic rock and roll. Hope they're out there. Any more input is sure appreciated.

Roger
I live out in the hills roughly 10 miles north of Evening Shade. On a dirt road that runs off a dirt road that runs off another dirt road.

Yeah, those Main Street houses are nice. I love walking down that street when the grass is green and the Magnolias are blooming. We'll park several blocks up the street and stroll down to the antique shops, and have lunch at the cafe'.

Yes, there is a Home Depot on Harrison St., very close to a large Walmart, and then a Tractor Supply Co. on the other side of the street and down a little.

Between those 3 places, you can find about anything you're looking for (Who needs Macy's?).

There's a ton of businesses and a lot of restaurants on Harrison, and about every fast food thing you can think of on 167/St. Louis Rd.

If you go to the last (or first) stoplight on the north end of town on 167, if you go east there is a John Deere dealer down there, and 'Meachum's' meat processing. Go west and there's a "Bigger Burger" (good place) and hwy 69 to Melbourne.

At Meachum's, you can buy however much cow or pig you want to put in the freezer, or just a special cut. I'm picking up a Beef Tenderloin there later this week @ $5.95 a pound to whip up Chateaubriand on New Years Eve for Mrs. RogMar and myself.

Hey.....I might be a hillbilly, but man does not live on possum alone!

Fabric store......ohyeahhowdybob.....I've been lead in there more than a couple of times.

It's all the way west on Main St., past the shops, about the last building on the left. Big parking lot, double glass doors, chairs for the Mr. to plop in whilst the Mrs. dances among the treasures. Sizeable.

There's a mill in Batesville, and I'm not sure where as I've never used that one, but there will be an abundant supply of hardwoods. There's a nice little Cedar mill on 167 just north of Evening Shade on the right side of the road. If you want something special, it's not hard to find someone that can find you a Black walnut tree ir whatever you want, cut it down, and haul it to the mill for cuts to your specs and drying.

Wood is cheap right now, believe me, I just sold a very large amount in fall/winter '08, and when the checks stopped rolling in I almost lost a tear or two.

For a nice Dinner on the river, try "Josie's" down at the dam. It has a screened-in deck for warm weather. It's nothing fancy, but has steaks & chops and such, and it is a "private club", because Independance is a dry county and Josie's serves alcohol with dinner. IIRC, the last time I bought a membership there, it was $5 a year.

Batesville is the second oldest city in Arkansas, has a sizeable hospital and medical complex, and the U of A community college, so there's pretty much something for everyone.

Hmmmm......that's a synopsis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas