Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM

34 posts, read 55,659 times

Advertisements

Okay ... So first of all, Yes our dream is to one day make it to Alaska ...Maybe when we retire LOL So instead we made it to Arkansas. Why here? Well jobs and the beauty of the State. All our job offers where coming from Arkansas so we sold everything and traveled along and here we are. It has been an adventure and certainly a time in my life I will never forget. I must say that 8 out of every ten people we meet are absolutely rude!!! Where is the southern hospitality!!!! So let me briefly tell you what has happened because I need to get this off my shoulders!!!! Okay so we sold everything and got here. It took two weeks for the background check and drug test to come back for my husband. We did not plan on that because the company said get here and your hired. Then another two weeks before we get any money ... So that would be July9th. Now I am traveling with my husband, son, great dane and cat. We are all staying in a hotel suite that the manager gave us an unbelievable deal on. We have ran out of money now and just need help until July 9th. We did not expect this and certainly would not be going through this on purpose. We could not find jobs where we were. I was laid off after 12 years of making great money. ( first thing I have learned is to save!! ) Any way, NO one will rent to us with a great dane and we cannot find any help. So is it because we are from out of town that everyone has to be rude??? I had a preacher pray with me and my son and his daughter is supposedly big on helping people, he called her in front of us ( i wont name the place ) she said she could help ... but we never got it. I was able to go into the hotel parking lot to get $30 from people that were not from Arkansas!!!! My next step is a sign and a corner. I cannot believe it has come to this. We certainly did not expect this, did not think we would need help but here we are. I wish I could say my experience has been good but it has not other than Mountain scenery. Oh and one thing I must share ... We were driving looking for a place early on our arrival ... guess we went into the wrong neighborhood and we look in our rear view mirror and this crazy woman was running barefooted on rocks after our truck!!! I dont even want to know what she was on ... but hey it gave us a good laugh!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,017 times
What city are you in?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM

Right now Conway although have been looking more north for a place.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Don't mean to be rude. but maybe the reason people appear rude is they have seen too many people pack up and move to their state and arrive broke .

At least in your situation, you have a job lined up.
Your best bet is to ask the employer for a small advance in pay til paychecks arrive.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Don't mean to be rude. but maybe the reason people appear rude is they have seen too many people pack up and move to their state and arrive broke .

At least in your situation, you have a job lined up.
Your best bet is to ask the employer for a small advance in pay til paychecks arrive.
good advise.

To the OP,

I am so sorry you are having such a horrible experience, but I also think it is very unfair for you to even suggest the people in AR or anywhere else are rude because they are not there to help you out of a problem they had no control over. You weren't prepared for your move, you didn't allow enough money and there are food banks available to you in most areas. That will help you get by for the next few weeks.

Part of the problem with renting is you dog, of course. Most of us know what sweet dogs Great Danes can be, but the fact is they are huge and many rental managers only allow animals of a certain size. Again you can't hold the management to blame, plus you obviously can't come up with the first and last months rent right now, so you will need to wait until you get a pay check.

I understand you are going through a very hard time and I am sorry, but you can't expect everyone to jump to your resque. If I were you I would find the nearest Salvation Army for starters. They may have some ideas for you.

Nita

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,121 times
I too, am sorry you're having this difficult of a time. I'm a state over from Arkansas, in Oklahoma. And like you, I have a Great Dane, plus five cats and a Pit Bull mix. If it were me I'd rather rent to people with a Dane than a little yapper, but...I'm not there. I hope you have food for the animals. How is your cat doing? Cats don't do well with moves, so I hope he/she is okay.

You've had many good suggestions. I'd also like to add that the Catholic charities may assist. With what I don't know, but Catholic charities do help many people. You're in the bible belt so there should be several churches with food banks and some that serve lunch or dinner on certain days.

Best of luck to you and the 'kids'. (the Dane and cat, of course) Stay safe!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
The first thing that makes me wonder is, what line of work is your husband in?

If you look hrough the archives here, you'll find a few hundred posts advising there's *no* jobs in Arkansas.

I have finally realized that all the "Help Wanted" adds I see are cruel jokes.

Secondly, do you realize that Arkansas has a very popular welfare program? It's hard to interact in the social circles in a town and not find people on SSI. I personally know several, and it certainly seems to be easy to obtain.

I've got to echo Marmac's sentiments.

It reminds me of this guy that decided to go to Pakistan to find Osama Bin Laden. No back up plan, no real direction, no safeguards. Just, "Pack me a good lunch, mom. I'm off to find Osama!".

At least in your time of destitution, you have a computer and an internet connection. Make that your bestest friend in the whole wide world, and you won't have top stand on the corner with a sign.

Have *you* been looking for a job?

Last edited by RogMar; 06-30-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
The first thing that makes me wonder is, what line of work is your husband in?

If you look hrough the archives here, you'll find a few hundred posts advising there's *no* jobs in Arkansas.

I have finally realized that all the "Help Wanted" adds I see are cruel jokes.

Secondly, do you realize that Arkansas has a very popular welfare program? It's hard to interact in the social circles in a town and not find people on SSI. I personally know several, and it certainly seems to be easy to obtain.

I've got to echo Marmac's sentiments.

It reminds me of this guy that decided to go to Pakistan to find Osama Bin Laden. No back up plan, no real direction, no safeguards. Just, "Pack me a good lunch, mom. I'm off to find Osama!".

At least in your time of destitution, you have a computer and an internet connection. Make that your bestest friend in the whole wide world, and you won't have top stand on the corner with a sign.

Have *you* been looking for a job?
There definitely jobs in Arkansas, just not necessarily where people or working, or possibly not that they're qualified for. Our relatively low unemployment rate compared to the rest of the country right now, as well as a growing green and tech sector in a down economy prove that. However, not all regions of the state have been so lucky and I know it can be tough out there. It seems very strange to me that someone would move to a new state for a job and be out of money in two weeks to the point where they have to stand on a corner and beg. I will occasionally help someone out, but like most people, I do not like being panhandled to, and it's hard to count the number of variations of these kind of stories I've heard, so it shouldn't be a shock that most people aren't willing to give away their hard earned money, particularly in this economy. I do feel bad for your situation, but it's not all everyone else's fault, either.
I've never actually met anyone on welfare, but it is out there for a reason. Surely there is a program or ministry that can help you make ends meet until your husband starts work. Renting with a large dog will be very difficult, as it is most places, but I do wish you luck in finding a suitable place once things come together for you and your family.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Thank You for not bashing me! Yes we may have made a mistake not having a back up plan. We first had talked with a man that was going to rent a RV to us. So we had money for the RV, RV spot and everything else we would need. We got here and I tell ya the RV was not livable at all. There were holes in the roof and floor and so forth. And as you know that would have been less expensive than a Hotel. So basically the hotel eats up a lot of your money. Our Great Dane and Cat have taken the move very well ( to the person that asked ) and Our son is very well taken care of and loves the access to a pool anytime :-) Its like a vacation him. We do not put any strain on him of course.

Of course I have been looking for a job as well. Now I have money coming in. It just comes in next week at the time my husbands does. So see its just now till then. I have faith we will be okay. Each day is a new day.

My husband is in the oil industry. We lived in Texas and could not find jobs there so if we did not move we could be worse off than we are now. And he has tried to get an advance but he cannot. Although everyone at his job knows our situation and for two weeks have said they are looking for help.

Another note we do not qualify for any welfare assistance due to the fact that next friday we will have money. And i thought as some that there would be ministries out there to help but so far NO. I am guessing they help their members before anyone else. As well I have offered to pay back any assistance to who ever help, so I am not looking for a free ride. You know I am not pointing fingers at all just releasing a bit of frustration. I did not move here expecting to need help. Things happen though and for a reason! Did we learn a lesson, well hell yeah we did LOL

I wanted to sell my computer but my husband does not want me to. Right now its our only access for me to find a job and us to find a home. I am able to search papers everywhere. Now we have a boat up for sale ... its a very expensive boat with a very expensive motor ... but the boat as a hole in it LOL we are trying to sell that to make ends meet.

One day we will look back on this and laugh. Its like a national lampoon vacation!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM

763 posts, read 2,660,252 times
Good luck to you. Hope things work out soon ! You may come out better pawning the boat if you can't sell it. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas