Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM

763 posts, read 2,660,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDream4ever View Post
This is something that a lot of people notice. I have always worked hard for my money and when you are in line at the grocery store and the person ahead of you is checking out with all kinds of "bad" foods and expensive steaks and pay with food stamps .... you have to wonder.

Its not that their priorities are off its that they are allowed to stay on welfare and some stay on it all their lives without lifting a finger to support themselves. Welfare should be their to help people temporary and I think there should be a time limit on it for the people on it that are capable of working.
AMEN ! And if I have to pass a drug test to work and provide for the welfare fund, the ones receiving it should have to pass the same drug test or get their behinds to work. OH BOY, don't get me started !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
It's much easier to load the family in the van and go to McD's. Most are too lazy to even get out so they use the drive-thru.

People know what foods are healthy and which aren't. This is a matter of just being to frickin lazy to cook a decent meal.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
AMEN ! And if I have to pass a drug test to work and provide for the welfare fund, the ones receiving it should have to pass the same drug test or get their behinds to work. OH BOY, don't get me started !!!!
exactly: drug test, drugs, no welfare;;sorry, it might sound cold but it should be a policy..

Nita

Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
It's much easier to load the family in the van and go to McD's. Most are too lazy to even get out so they use the drive-thru.

People know what foods are healthy and which aren't. This is a matter of just being to frickin lazy to cook a decent meal.
No, I don't think that is totally true. They have an idea, but many do not know how to implement good eating habits or have been so accustom to how they were raised they can't change. Yes, many are down right lazy.

Nita

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Two things that come to mind..

1. Is junk food cheaper than good food? I honestly don't know, but that could be a factor.

2. There are actually poor people who work their asses off. The single mom/dad working at McDonald's during the day and 7-11 at night. They probably don't have the time or the energy to make a good healthy meal when they get home.

I know that my family has eaten a lot more healthy since my wife started staying home with our baby rather than working.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Two things that come to mind..

1. Is junk food cheaper than good food? I honestly don't know, but that could be a factor.

2. There are actually poor people who work their asses off. The single mom/dad working at McDonald's during the day and 7-11 at night. They probably don't have the time or the energy to make a good healthy meal when they get home.

I know that my family has eaten a lot more healthy since my wife started staying home with our baby rather than working.
actually as a home economist (of was in the good old days) healthy eating does not have to be expensive and probably if you figure the cost of prepared foods and junk foods it could even be cheaper, but it takes planning and knowing how to shop. Many people do not know or don't care. I did teach an adult education class in VA many years ago based on cooking on a budget. Most in the class were low income. After 1 session I knew I was fighting a losing battle.

Nita

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM

34 posts, read 55,646 times
I went through a bad three years and we ate out a lot. I gained weight and so did my son. I then "woke" up. I now lost the weight and my son won most approved in PE and looks his best. So the reasoning people eat out can range from anything that is going on in their life.

Yes lets please do a random drug test for welfare!!!! Just have to wonder why this has not been done yet!!!!!

I do not believe that how people are raised should be the blame for their adulthood. We are adults and can change. We know whats right and whats wrong.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 AM

76 posts, read 174,038 times
Just today, a magazine from our local hospital came in the mail. In it there was an article about healthy vs non-healthy eating. They broke down the cost by calorie. For healthy and organic food: $18.19/1000 calories. For unhealthy/junk food $1.72/1000 calories. I found this to be a sad statistic.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 AM

123 posts, read 408,910 times
Think about this -

In developing and third world countries, being poor results to malnutrition and rationing; and therefore, skinny people. In the USA, being poor often(not always) results to obesity because the cheapest food in the USA is processed/junk food and fast food. I think part of the problem is a culture of laziness. Just watch people at Wal-Mart when it's busy driving around the parking lot looking for a spot close to the door so they can keep their walking to a minimum. Poverty certainly has much to do with obesity, but part of it is being lazy. I live up north and only get to enjoy the outdoors late spring through early fall. It's easy to get more exercise in the warmer months. Down south, it's warmer more often so it's easier to get more outdoor exercise. In a sense, it amazes me there are more obese people down south. If I were living in Florida, I'd be outside every night jogging. In rural Nebraska where I live, I have to drive 6 miles to the gym and jogging outside 1/2 the year means freezing your balls off. In another sense, I think there are better eating places down south and so people eat out more. It's very difficult to keep weight off when you eat out more than 3 times a week.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDream4ever View Post
I went through a bad three years and we ate out a lot. I gained weight and so did my son. I then "woke" up. I now lost the weight and my son won most approved in PE and looks his best. So the reasoning people eat out can range from anything that is going on in their life.

Yes lets please do a random drug test for welfare!!!! Just have to wonder why this has not been done yet!!!!!

I do not believe that how people are raised should be the blame for their adulthood. We are adults and can change. We know whats right and whats wrong.
this is true but habits established when you are very young can be hard to break.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas