Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 53,268 times

Advertisements

Hello, there is a chance that my family will be relocating to Fort Smith in the near future. We recently visited the area and were confused as to where we should look for a home. It seemed that the north side of town was a little rough compared to the south side. Is this true or does it just appear to be that way? What are the best places for a young family, and where are the places to avoid? By the way, we are middle class (if that helps any?). Thanks ahead for the help, we would appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,340,145 times
The general rule is that the south and east are the best places, but there are exceptions.

There are some very nice neighborhoods around the western side of Rogers Ave., but there are also some very ugly neighborhoods close by. Also, the neighborhoods surrounding the university are the exception to the "stay out of the north side" rule. There are some nice, well-established neighborhoods in that area.

Stay away from Midland Blvd. Stay away from the extreme western side near the Oklahoma border (with exception to the already mentioned Rogers Ave area).

Where you can live obviously depends on your income level, but if your income level is low, consider finding a place in Van Buren rather than living on the north side of Fort Smith. I commuted from Van Buren during my whole time as an undergrad, and it was no problem.

If you have questions about any exact locations, feel free to ask. I lived in the Fort Smith area for over 25 years. I know the place very well.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 19,880 times
I would try to stay as East as possible and as South as possible. They are the nicest areas. I live in Fort Smith, and I can tell you on the North side, there are some nice areas, but they are few and far between. On some streets, there will be a nice block and then a not so nice block. If I were you, I would definitely stick to Extremely East (the closer to Barling, AR, the better), and Extremely South. Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks! It seemed as if one minute you could be in a rough area, and then turn the corner and it looked nice and normal! It was very confusing. Thanks for the recommendation at looking around Van Buren, we will do that. My husband works in industrial maintenance so he makes pretty good money, but we also wouldn't be able to live anywhere extravagant.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 AM

OH! Another question...we went out in search of Lake Fort Smith State Park. We put it in the GPS and it said it was 35 minutes away, and then it led us to a road that wasn't in use anymore. Then we looked it up on Mapquest, and it took us to the dam, and a rough muddy road, and a far away view of the lake. How exactly do you find it? We were pretty frustrated.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,340,145 times
I am assuming that the maps and GPS systems have not been updated. When I was a kid, I used to go to summer camp at Lake Fort Smith. That camp location is now at the bottom of the lake because of that new dam you found. I haven't been back since, so I don't know how to get to the new camp location, but that is probably why you couldn't find it.

This site might help you find it.

Lake Fort Smith State Park - Boston Mountain Range - Ozark Mountains - Arkansas State Parks

Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 49,610 times
HI my husband and I might be moving to Fort Smith soon too and we are looking for a very safe and nice area with very good schools. I noticed everyone said the north and western part is best. What I was wondering is do these areas have a name so I can look them when I am researching homes? I don't know where houses are based on street addresses. Are there certain "areas" or districts to look for?Thanks

Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,677,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbh22 View Post
OH! Another question...we went out in search of Lake Fort Smith State Park. We put it in the GPS and it said it was 35 minutes away, and then it led us to a road that wasn't in use anymore. Then we looked it up on Mapquest, and it took us to the dam, and a rough muddy road, and a far away view of the lake. How exactly do you find it? We were pretty frustrated.
Just go through Alma and up 71. You'll see a sign on the right that says this way to Lake Fort Smith Park, or something like that. It's all paved two lanes no dirt roads or anything like that.

You might be able to get on 540 and then and cut over to 71 instead of going through Alma.

Basically just get on 71 and it's pretty hard to miss.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,677,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee1003 View Post
HI my husband and I might be moving to Fort Smith soon too and we are looking for a very safe and nice area with very good schools. I noticed everyone said the north and western part is best. What I was wondering is do these areas have a name so I can look them when I am researching homes? I don't know where houses are based on street addresses. Are there certain "areas" or districts to look for?Thanks
There is Chaffee Crossing which is brand new and still being developed, It was part of Fort Chaffee that was annexed.
The Historic District of Course which is pretty small.
Downtown, of course.
Fianna hills is far South and is kind known as the local ritzy area, kind of like boardwalk in monopoly I guess.
Riley Farms I think is newer and kind of like Fianna Hills I believe, but I don't really know the area. Its close to Fianna Hills.
The northside is considered everything above Rogers Ave and west of 540.
The eastside is loosely considered everything east of 540 and ends roughly around zero street.
Western Fort Smith is Oklahoma, he just meant as you get farther west I think.

Other than that I don't think anyone has really figured it out yet.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 AM

155 posts, read 659,924 times
Van Buren has lower taxes, a lot lower crime and a lot of good neighborhoods and only a few minutes from Fort Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas