Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 16,103 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll.

This is going to be a 3 days trip unexpected and at the same time I want to do some scenary drive.

I need a route that would be scenary and safe for 2 females driving from Houston, TX to Marion, IL . I will be driving through AR. I read about the AR-7 scenic bypass. and was wondering is that safe to take and where can i find a place to stay overnight.
Will be heading out in the morning toward Springfield, MO and take Hwy 60 straight to Hwy 57.

This is my first time driving that directions. I just want to make sure i'm not making myself get lost in the woods.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumie View Post
Hi ya'll.

This is going to be a 3 days trip unexpected and at the same time I want to do some scenary drive.

I need a route that would be scenary and safe for 2 females driving from Houston, TX to Marion, IL . I will be driving through AR. I read about the AR-7 scenic bypass. and was wondering is that safe to take and where can i find a place to stay overnight.
Will be heading out in the morning toward Springfield, MO and take Hwy 60 straight to Hwy 57.

This is my first time driving that directions. I just want to make sure i'm not making myself get lost in the woods.

Thanks in advance!
It is scenic but when you get north of Hot Springs it gets very crooked through the mountains and will require attention to your driving. There is no doubt there will be no problem with personal safety if you use the normal precautions you should use on any drive. Depending on where you access the Hiway, but there are motels in several of the towns along the route. My personal choice from Houston would be to access Interstate 30 somewhere, then hit AR 7 at Exit 78 (Caddo Valley) then follow 7 north. South of Exit 78 is nothing but pine trees and flatland. Taking this suggested route you will find motels at; Caddo Valley, Hot Springs, Russellville, and Harrison. You should plan to NOT drive any of that after dark because of the crooked mountain roads.

I pray you have a SAFE and pleasant trip.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
My only advice is to pack some Dramamine.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
It is scenic but when you get north of Hot Springs it gets very crooked through the mountains and will require attention to your driving. There is no doubt there will be no problem with personal safety if you use the normal precautions you should use on any drive. Depending on where you access the Hiway, but there are motels in several of the towns along the route. My personal choice from Houston would be to access Interstate 30 somewhere, then hit AR 7 at Exit 78 (Caddo Valley) then follow 7 north. South of Exit 78 is nothing but pine trees and flatland. Taking this suggested route you will find motels at; Caddo Valley, Hot Springs, Russellville, and Harrison. You should plan to NOT drive any of that after dark because of the crooked mountain roads.

I pray you have a SAFE and pleasant trip.
Thank you so much for your help. Yes, I am not planning on driving this route at night time. I will make this a enjoyable trip.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
My only advice is to pack some Dramamine.
hehe.. i will let my cousin know that.
Thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Plumie, after y'all complete your trip, I, and I'm sure others, would appreciate a report of your experience driving through Arkansas. And especially if you drove Hiway 7. Thanks

Old 07-10-2010, 03:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Took 7 from Harrison to Hot Springs ( a few years ago)

It was late January, so I could see a lot.

This time of the year,the leaves might block some of the view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas