Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM

511 posts, read 799,609 times

Advertisements

Well, the city officials can stop bragging that Bryant AR made the CNN"s annual top 100 places to live in the US. This year, the city is completely off the list. In fact, the only AR city to show up on this year's list is Rogers, in the top ten even! Not surprisely, Texas shows up a lot on the list, and CT gets several spots.

Bryant has just grown stagnent and overcrowded. One of the main grocery stores went out of business leaving residents with only Walmart and over priced Harps as food sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
These polls and studies differ so much from year to year it isn't funny. Last year Money magazine had Rio Rancho NM rated in the top 10 and this raked number 51. How much can a small city change in one year.

Texas does have a huge number, 4 to be exact: for a state the size of Texas that is nothing to shout about and I didn't see your home town on that list. Except for the weather, Texas is a great place to live, just like NM and AR. Look at the qualifiers in this case? The bigger the state the more cities fall into the catagory. AR isn't exactly the heaviestly populated state in the union, now the largest in area. Being a rural state it consists of many small, towns and lot a bunch of large cities.

You mention Byant being over crowded and yet in the same posting tell us a super market went out of business; isn't that slightly conterdicting yourself. If it is over crowded and the stroe was decent it should be packed with people. If it is over crowded doesn't that indicate people a anxious to live there? Just think when you finally leave the city won't be nearly as crowded.

We all love it when our city shows up on any of these lists, but they mean almost nothing..heck Forbes lists change every few months, not yearly.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 07-14-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We all love it when our city shows up on any of these lists, but they mean almost nothing..heck Forbes lists change every few months, not yearly. Nita
That's true. And ever since the "Jena 6" debacle, I don't put much stock in anything CNN has to say.

I know that we went through Benton (isn't that close to Bryant?) on the way home from the cabin last trip, and it was a nice clean little town, with very pretty surrounding countryside. Bryant is probably much the same.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Well, the city officials can stop bragging that Bryant AR made the CNN"s annual top 100 places to live in the US. This year, the city is completely off the list. In fact, the only AR city to show up on this year's list is Rogers, in the top ten even! Not surprisely, Texas shows up a lot on the list, and CT gets several spots.

Bryant has just grown stagnent and overcrowded. One of the main grocery stores went out of business leaving residents with only Walmart and over priced Harps as food sources.
Welcome back, Mr. Congeniality! We have missed your contributions!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
We all love it when our city shows up on any of these lists, but they mean almost nothing..heck Forbes lists change every few months, not yearly.

Nita
Not me! It might attract people to move here and we did so to get away from over-cdrowding and horribly inflated housing costs. Since our house is our home, not an investment, we don't care if it greatly increases in value. Our heirs might but that's not our issue.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not me! It might attract people to move here and we did so to get away from over-cdrowding and horribly inflated housing costs. Since our house is our home, not an investment, we don't care if it greatly increases in value. Our heirs might but that's not our issue.
Yeah, I'm with you on that....I always think about those people who live in those unspoiled, uncrowded places that show up in those magazines and on those lists, and I think, "Well, there goes the unspoiled and uncrowded part!".

Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I wasn't thinking so much as seeing the property values increase (that too) but more simply the pride in seeing your city on one of these lists..Of course you and I feel pretty much the same about where we live and why. I for one don't want to see AR turn into say another Texas. There is nothing wrong with Texas, but AR is Ar and that is why we choose to live here.

Nita

Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
Quote:
I wasn't thinking so much as seeing the property values increase (that too) but more simply the pride in seeing your city on one of these lists..Of course you and I feel pretty much the same about where we live and why. I for one don't want to see AR turn into say another Texas. There is nothing wrong with Texas, but AR is Ar and that is why we choose to live here.

Nita
I agree. I love seeing my home(s) on this list. When Mtn. Home was recognized as the best, and then a top ten, place for outdoors/fishing/etc. by two separate magazines in the same year, I was thrilled. When I sit in traffic of bumper to bumper boat trailers on 62, I'm less thrilled . I liked seeing Fayetteville on the lists of best places to live, best places to live work and play, best place for business and careers, etc. in the last few years, but when I see the huge sprawl projects go to the planning commission (and often get denied, thankfully), I worry about unrestrained growth.

It's a point of pride to have your home on one of these lists, but it does make you think about the explosive, unrestrained growth in some areas of Texas. The north Dallas burbs are a prime example. Frisco going from 33,000 to 101,000 in under a decade? I don't think any of us really want that to happen to our town (at least not that quickly!).

Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I agree. I love seeing my home(s) on this list. When Mtn. Home was recognized as the best, and then a top ten, place for outdoors/fishing/etc. by two separate magazines in the same year, I was thrilled. When I sit in traffic of bumper to bumper boat trailers on 62, I'm less thrilled . I liked seeing Fayetteville on the lists of best places to live, best places to live work and play, best place for business and careers, etc. in the last few years, but when I see the huge sprawl projects go to the planning commission (and often get denied, thankfully), I worry about unrestrained growth.

It's a point of pride to have your home on one of these lists, but it does make you think about the explosive, unrestrained growth in some areas of Texas. The north Dallas burbs are a prime example. Frisco going from 33,000 to 101,000 in under a decade? I don't think any of us really want that to happen to our town (at least not that quickly!).
The same with Lewisville, Tx where we lived: 30 plus thousand in 1990, now close to 100K..Our daughter lives in Highland Shores: 6000 when they built their home 23 years years ago: maybe 20,000K now and what about Flower Mound and Southlake? Our daughter and hubby have already bought a home here for retirement even though they are about 7 years away. Their oldest daughter who lives in OKCity thought she would return to Texas someday, now she says NO WAY!!! She wants her daughter brought up in a smaller state. This isn't meant to blast Texas in anyway, just to point out nothing is all good and Texas is no exception.

Nita

Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
The same with Lewisville, Tx where we lived: 30 plus thousand in 1990, now close to 100K..Our daughter lives in Highland Shores: 6000 when they built their home 23 years years ago: maybe 20,000K now and what about Flower Mound and Southlake? Our daughter and hubby have already bought a home here for retirement even though they are about 7 years away. Their oldest daughter who lives in OKCity thought she would return to Texas someday, now she says NO WAY!!! She wants her daughter brought up in a smaller state. This isn't meant to blast Texas in anyway, just to point out nothing is all good and Texas is no exception.

Nita
I have a sister who lives in Flower Mound. She likes it there although it is getting crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas