Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times

Advertisements

Any info on these from anyone? Nice places to live? How do they compare to Little Rock and Pine Bluff?

It would be my family with 2 small kids moving there, so we would be looking for a nice family neighborhood. Any info? What does the housing market look like for the forseeable future? Are home prices expected to rise steadily over time?

Thanks for all the help and all the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 10:33 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
In general, my feel of the place is that the Hot Springs area is that it's safer than Pine Bluff or Little Rock. I've only been through Pine Bluff so i don't know it well at all, and Little Rock and North Little Rock have some nice neighborhoods and some not nice ones. Hillcrest in Little Rock and Park Hill in North Little Rock are pleasant and kind of fun areas.
Hot Springs Village is a gated community. Not my style, but a lot of people are happy there. I think the long term prospects for real estate appreciation in the Hot Springs area are quite good, though I've been told things are pretty slow currently.
I love Hot Springs. Like most places, there are parts of town you probably don't want to live in, but there are lots of things to do and lots of natural beauty.
From what I've been told, the Lakeside school district is very good, though housing in the Lakeside School District is more expensive.
Me, I'm real fond of the Prospect-Quapaw Historic district in Hot Springs, just west of Bathhouse Row. Nice houses, abbutting the National Park.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
From what I've been told, the Lakeside school district is very good, though housing in the Lakeside School District is more expensive.
When you are saying more expensive, how much are you meaning? Expensive is so varied by area that I never really know.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
If I were raising children I would look into Hot Springs Village before Hot Spring but it depends on your life style, your price range and what values are important to you. Remember Hot Srpings is a tourist town part of the year, probably doesn't have a lot of kids and either area can be expensive. Again, like you said price is relavent, depending on what you are accusom to and where you are living now.

Nita

Old 06-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If I were raising children I would look into Hot Springs Village before Hot Spring but it depends on your life style, your price range and what values are important to you. Remember Hot Srpings is a tourist town part of the year, probably doesn't have a lot of kids and either area can be expensive. Again, like you said price is relavent, depending on what you are accusom to and where you are living now.

Nita
Yeah we live outside of St. Louis currently and while it is not the most expensive place in the USA, we are on the Illinois side and we get the bejesus taxed out of us.

I have heard that Hot Springs Village is a retirement area, but is starting to transform into a younger area (younger family I should say). Is this true?

Also, say to go grocery shopping, are there stores in Hot Springs Village or do you need to drive to Hot Springs? If so, how far is that?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Yeah we live outside of St. Louis currently and while it is not the most expensive place in the USA, we are on the Illinois side and we get the bejesus taxed out of us.

I have heard that Hot Springs Village is a retirement area, but is starting to transform into a younger area (younger family I should say). Is this true?

Also, say to go grocery shopping, are there stores in Hot Springs Village or do you need to drive to Hot Springs? If so, how far is that?
You have heard correctly; it is similar to Bella Vista, AR, originally developed by the same person. Yes, it is a retirement or was a retirement area, but they now have schools, kids activities, etc and are very highly respected. The only reason we have decided against them is the two organizations we are active in: Masonic and Moose are both in Hot Springs plus they do not have a hospital right now, which as we are a bit older is very important to us. As for shopping, they have plenty of stores, etc. If you want to biggy stuff you have to go to Little Rock which is about 45 min to an hour away. NMnita

Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 PM

So is Bella Vista a big gated community also with the golf and lakes, etc..?

Is one considered more attractive than the other?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
So is Bella Vista a big gated community also with the golf and lakes, etc..?

Is one considered more attractive than the other?
It isn't gated, but yes, it certainly has the golf courses, about 7 I think. I can't remember, it has water and hicking trails as well as a beautiful chapel surrounded by trees and a park. I guess the chapel is used for weddings a lot. The realtor said it is booked about a year in advance. I can believe it.

Like, Hot Springs Village there is a large comminity center complete with a pool, a huge club house, of course tennis court, etc. The community is just north of Bentonville and not far, at all from Fayetteville.

I just can't tell you how impressed we were with the area. It is a dry county (not the best for us cause I like my wine) but about a mile away is the MO boarder. I was happy. Again, some people may find it a bit pricey, depending on what price range you are looking for and what property in your area is like.

Nita

Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It isn't gated, but yes, it certainly has the golf courses, about 7 I think. I can't remember, it has water and hicking trails as well as a beautiful chapel surrounded by trees and a park. I guess the chapel is used for weddings a lot. The realtor said it is booked about a year in advance. I can believe it.

Like, Hot Springs Village there is a large comminity center complete with a pool, a huge club house, of course tennis court, etc. The community is just north of Bentonville and not far, at all from Fayetteville.

I just can't tell you how impressed we were with the area. It is a dry county (not the best for us cause I like my wine) but about a mile away is the MO boarder. I was happy. Again, some people may find it a bit pricey, depending on what price range you are looking for and what property in your area is like.

Nita
Which would you say you were more impressed with? Hot Springs Village or Bella Vista? Thanks for all the info also. Also in your opinion, which area do you think would be better for a family with a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old?

I guess the "retirement" community scares me a bit. I don't want to be living solely among senior citizens. From what you said and I have heard, Hot Springs Village is in the midst of getting younger but do you have any idea what percentages are like of "old" people to "young" families? Sorry for putting it that way, but I'm sure you understand Im not trying to be insulting.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Which would you say you were more impressed with? Hot Springs Village or Bella Vista? Thanks for all the info also. Also in your opinion, which area do you think would be better for a family with a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old?

I guess the "retirement" community scares me a bit. I don't want to be living solely among senior citizens. From what you said and I have heard, Hot Springs Village is in the midst of getting younger but do you have any idea what percentages are like of "old" people to "young" families? Sorry for putting it that way, but I'm sure you understand Im not trying to be insulting.
i don't know the percentage but what you can do, which is only slightly accurate is enter the city name and you can get the demorgraphics. If you do that right now you will find Hot Springs Village average age much lower than Bella Vista I beleive. both areas are starting to attract younger people. BTW, I do understand. heck we are the "old ones" and I don't want to live around a bunch of old folks. Actually I don't want to live in a neighborhood filled with young couple either. I think the perfect example: we went on a cruise last Nov (have gone on many) the cruise line was one that is noted for attracting the more mature set: how did we like it? Food was great, cabins nice, but for us, it certainly wasn't great. There wasn't enough to do and everyone was as old as us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas