Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

what are the winters like! realy need to no !! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
in Paragould and Pokie (Pocahontas), winters are usually short on snow and big on ice, ice shuts everything down around here, but we usually dont get that much ice either, course it doesnt take much. Right now its 34 degrees, we havent been below freezing much this year so far.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,078 times
thanks ! arguy1973

WOW ! saw the ice storms in mo. on the news !!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Racial diversity is one thing ... racial hatred is another.

Of these two towns, which would you advise a black person to either:

1.) Not sweat it
2.) Stay away from
3.) Move there.. "it's great"?
I can't say for sure on Pocahontas, but Paragould has a long history of prejudice. One of my black friends who lives in Jonesboro had a bad experience near there, even wondered if he was going to die. I can't imagine that Pocahontas would be a lot different. Thing is, probably at least 75% or more people in those areas are very nice...it's those ignorant few that you have to watch for. Jonesboro is probably the way to go, especially if gas goes up, you want to be near your job.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
HDM

41 posts, read 111,221 times
Paragould would be my choice. WAS my choice, actually, when I moved there. I no longer live there but would move back to Paragould if my job would let me. If a pharmacist, you'll most likely run into the Register family, who own several pharmacies in the area. Good people.

I would NOT move to the more rural areas (like Pocahontas) unless you are from rural area, too, and know how to co-exist with white trash and rednecks. Plenty of nice people but plenty of ignorance, too. I grew up in a rural area in southern Missouri but I got OUT and have no tolerance for those folks.

Paragould is only 20-25 minutes from Jonesboro, too. Cheaper housing in Paragould with most of the conveniences of Jonesboro and, if you can't find it there, you just drive to Jonesboro. If not there, then Memphis is only a little over an hour away.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM

164 posts, read 984,363 times
Dont forget to try out RONS Catfish Buffet while in Jonesboro. It is worth the trip. I have a farm I own just north of pocahontas but I currently live in florida. Rons is a staple when I visit the area. Guess that makes me an ignorant redneck huh?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDM View Post
Paragould would be my choice. WAS my choice, actually, when I moved there. I no longer live there but would move back to Paragould if my job would let me. If a pharmacist, you'll most likely run into the Register family, who own several pharmacies in the area. Good people.

I would NOT move to the more rural areas (like Pocahontas) unless you are from rural area, too, and know how to co-exist with white trash and rednecks. Plenty of nice people but plenty of ignorance, too. I grew up in a rural area in southern Missouri but I got OUT and have no tolerance for those folks.

Paragould is only 20-25 minutes from Jonesboro, too. Cheaper housing in Paragould with most of the conveniences of Jonesboro and, if you can't find it there, you just drive to Jonesboro. If not there, then Memphis is only a little over an hour away.
Between this, and "Pocahontas is too hickish for my tastes".... I have to chuckle a little bit.
Both towns are very similar. Pocahontas is smaller, but a bit more scenic being on the edge of the Ozarks. Paragould is about as ugly of a town as you'll ever see. The flatness isn't even it's downfall. People there just don't care about much of anything.
Paragould is about as hickish and intolerant as they come. I have in-laws in southern Missouri, visit there quite a bit, and Paragould is no different, if not worse.

I would avoid Paragould at all costs. Jonesboro isn't exactly the bee's knees, but by eastern Arkansas standards, it's tolerable.
Just between Paragould and Pocahontas, I'd take Pocahontas.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Paragould is about as ugly of a town as you'll ever see. The flatness isn't even it's downfall.
If memory serves, doesn't most of Paragould west of downtown run along Crowley's Ridge?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:43 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Yeah the overall topography of both towns is fairly similar. Anywhere from around 100ft above sea level to 600-800 above sea level. Once you head west from Pocahontas toward Ravenden and Hardy town is when it is consistent hills.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
If memory serves, doesn't most of Paragould west of downtown run along Crowley's Ridge?
Sort of, I guess. There is still a lot of flat land between that hill west of downtown and the Center Hill section. Like the Wal-Mart, Lowes, airport area. Once you're in Center Hill, it's mostly hilly, if you want to call it that.
It was a little nicer looking when 412 was a two-lane going out of town. Now, with the more level and straighter four-lane, there's not much scenery left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas