Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Well, fall is here and with fall brings the best season of the year for some of us:

To all you football fans out there: this weekend is the beginning what could be a great year for AR.

Lots of schools are worth watching, every fan has his/her favorite but the two that show so much promise are:::

SHILOH CHRISTIAN rated number 1 in the entire USA.

AR RAZORBACKS: rated 17th by one poll and 19th in the other.

Go all teams and good luck.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, fall is here and with fall brings the best season of the year for some of us:

To all you football fans out there: this weekend is the beginning what could be a great year for AR.

Lots of schools are worth watching, every fan has his/her favorite but the two that show so much promise are:::

SHILOH CHRISTIAN rated number 1 in the entire USA.

AR RAZORBACKS: rated 17th by one poll and 19th in the other.

Go all teams and good luck.

Nita
Shiloh is rated #1 by whom? I haven't seen that.

As for the Hogs, I expect them to falter against the better SEC competition, as usual. Nice for them to schedule Tennessee Tech and Louisiana-Monroe while still refusing to start an in-state rivalry with ASU.

Let's go Jonesboro High School, ASU Red Wolves, Ohio State Buckeyes and Indianapolis Colts!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

As for the Hogs, I expect them to falter against the better SEC competition, as usual. Nice for them to schedule Tennessee Tech and Louisiana-Monroe while still refusing to start an in-state rivalry with ASU.

Let's go Jonesboro High School, ASU Red Wolves, Ohio State Buckeyes and Indianapolis Colts!
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Hogs this year, maybe Petrino has had enough time with them and his staff to start getting things going.

I think attempting to start a rivalry with ASU would be mostly pointless- the universities play at different levels and the ULM game is done mostly out of tradition (and we pay them a decent amount to come play and count as a non-conference W on the books). There's alway another fluff game in there, and it looks like Tennessee Tech is the lucky one this year.

The reason I don't want an in-state rivalry is simple (and may be one of the reasons the athletic department doesn't either): right now Arkansas is a state that can rally behind one major team regardless of which other teams you support. Whether you're a Red Wolf, a Bear, A Mule Rider, a Boll Weevil, or any other team, you can still support the Razorbacks without "betraying" your own team. The Razorbacks are the only team we have that's well known at a national level, and I like that the entire state gets to support them when they do well (or even when they don't). An in-state rivalry ruins that sense of camaraderie (in my opinion), and I don't think it'd be a positive thing for either school (other than revenue ASU might get for the game).

I won't get to watch a lot of football this year, but good luck to all our teams, I'll try to watch them when I can!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Hogs this year, maybe Petrino has had enough time with them and his staff to start getting things going.

I think attempting to start a rivalry with ASU would be mostly pointless- the universities play at different levels and the ULM game is done mostly out of tradition (and we pay them a decent amount to come play and count as a non-conference W on the books). There's alway another fluff game in there, and it looks like Tennessee Tech is the lucky one this year.

The reason I don't want an in-state rivalry is simple (and may be one of the reasons the athletic department doesn't either): right now Arkansas is a state that can rally behind one major team regardless of which other teams you support. Whether you're a Red Wolf, a Bear, A Mule Rider, a Boll Weevil, or any other team, you can still support the Razorbacks without "betraying" your own team. The Razorbacks are the only team we have that's well known at a national level, and I like that the entire state gets to support them when they do well (or even when they don't). An in-state rivalry ruins that sense of camaraderie (in my opinion), and I don't think it'd be a positive thing for either school (other than revenue ASU might get for the game).

I won't get to watch a lot of football this year, but good luck to all our teams, I'll try to watch them when I can!
ASU and UA are both Division 1-A schools, so they actually play on the same "level," although UA is in a BCS conference. (Note, too, that ULM is in the same conference as ASU)

I don't see any valid reason why the UA or the state of Arkansas need be threatened by a rivalry game with ASU. It hasn't hurt small states without professional teams like Iowa, Kansas or Oklahoma (before the Thunder).

Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM

63 posts, read 226,495 times
Yay for Fall! Cooler weather, fall folliage, football, hunting, halloween, the holidays around the corner.......Fall is hard to beat!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on the Hogs, I do think they will have an outstanding year, apparently they have a freshman quarterback, that may not be ready for the big time, but is a surprise. I don't know his name, but I do think he is from Tulsa.

Who ranks Shiloh, I can tell ya some of the other teams, it was on Channel 5 news last night, but I will be damned if I can tell you who rated them. Hubby isn't home right now, he would probably remember. Trinity in Texas is number 2, they play each other Monday I think. Also either Amarillo or Abeline (spelling and a 3rd Texas school) then a school in So Calif. I will post again when I can find out the answer. I am guessing USA today. Maybe it was our local weekly paper..LOL and smiles

Nita

Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck479 View Post
Yay for Fall! Cooler weather, fall folliage, football, hunting, halloween, the holidays around the corner.......Fall is hard to beat!
By far my favorite time of the year. Spring is new birth and I get excited about my garden, but I hate the summer, so all I can think is spring means summer is close plus a heck of a lot of rain. Like you said, fall means so much. Today is the starting of the really awesome cool, breezes, not a lot of heat and nice blue skys plus my great granddaughter, who is 3 and we haven't seen since Christmas will be here in a few hours. She loves to help me pick tomaotes. Hoperfully this year she won't pick the green ones like she did last year.
NIta

Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you on the Hogs, I do think they will have an outstanding year, apparently they have a freshman quarterback, that may not be ready for the big time, but is a surprise. I don't know his name, but I do think he is from Tulsa.

Who ranks Shiloh, I can tell ya some of the other teams, it was on Channel 5 news last night, but I will be damned if I can tell you who rated them. Hubby isn't home right now, he would probably remember. Trinity in Texas is number 2, they play each other Monday I think. Also either Amarillo or Abeline (spelling and a 3rd Texas school) then a school in So Calif. I will post again when I can find out the answer. I am guessing USA today. Maybe it was our local weekly paper..LOL and smiles

Nita
USA Today has Shiloh at #23. USA TODAY Super 25 Boys Varsity Football Standings

Old 09-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Well then it wasn't USA today I guess. I just asked hubby, he doesn't remember either, as we both saw it on TV. I think we were so shocked we had to listen twice. Hubby did confirm the story has Shiloh number 1 and Euless Trinity number 2, Abilene was in the top 5 and Westlake in So Calif was on the list. He doesn't rmember the 5th team.

Regardless, this is quite something for our little community!!!!

Nita

Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM

165 posts, read 524,638 times
The #1 ranking in the country for Shiloh was put out by Maxpreps. High School Football Rankings - MaxPreps

I think it is a bit of an optimistic ranking and I have to say it seems like a ploy by Max Preps considering Shiloh Christian of Springdale plays Trinity of Euless, TX this weekend in Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. Trinity just happens to be ranked #2 in the country.

As far as the Razorbacks - does anyone else agree that Arkansas vs. Arkansas State at War Memorial in Little Rock to kick-off the season would be great for the state?

I will say, the vibe in Fayetteville is rockin' today ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas